Resistant starch

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's resistant starch? I've not heard that one before.

How it was described in the programme was that it is indigestible type of carb which passes through the body and ferments ( sounds disgusting I know) and it seems that this process helps with healthy gut bacteria

“Resistant starch promotes gut health by feeding the 'good bacteria' that live in our large bowel. These bacteria are sometimes called our microbiome. They can use resistant starch as food because it resists digestion in our small intestine, and moves on to the large bowel.

When the good bacteria in the large bowel ferment resistant starch, they make short chain fatty acids. One of these, called butyrate, supplies energy to the cells lining the large intestine (colonocytes), promoting their wellbeing.”

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Resistant starch 101.
"
Not all resistant starches are the same. There are 4 different types (2).
Type 1: Is found in grains, seeds and legumes and resists digestion because it’s bound within the fibrous cell walls.
Type 2: Is found in some starchy foods, including raw potatoes and green (unripe) bananas.
Type 3: Is formed when certain starchy foods, including potatoes and rice, are cooked and then cooled. The cooling turns some of the digestible starches into resistant starches via retrogradation (3).
Type 4: Is man-made and formed via a chemical process.
However, this classification is not so simple, as several different types of resistant starch can co-exist in the same food.
Depending on how foods are prepared, the amount of resistant starch changes."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/resistant-starch-101

Elliebb9

I’ve yet to see my GP about my HbA1c reading of 49, so I am not diagnosed. My BMI is 31.
Until this reading, my diet was absolutely atrocious. I’m a chocoholic that doesn’t cook.
I was dreading having to learn to cook. I am an incredibly fussy eater with a very unsophisticated palate.
I watched ‘The Truth About Carbs’ which was on the day I got the phone call from my doctor.
Since then I’ve been reading up about ‘resistant starch’ which has given me real hope.
I actually like raw and cold potatos, cold porridge and I’ve been really pleased to find out that even white bread is high in ’resistant starch’ so long as it has been frozen. Yippee!
I know I’m going to have to drastically reduce my chocolate and sweet intake, get more exercise, lose weight and generally improve my diet but, I think I can turn things around by eating a diet high in ‘resistant starch’.
Wish me luck!
PS does anyone know if sweet corn is high in ‘resistant starch’?? You would think so wouldn’t you?

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Elliebb9. I don't think sweetcorn is high in resistant starch. I do have it from time to time but only in small quantities and it doesn't seem to raise my blood glucose much. Do you have a blood glucose meter? It's the only way to find out which foods spike your bg.
My HbA1c on diagnosis was 49 too, and like you I didn't cook much and ate too much chocolate, cake and biscuits, but have brought my readings down, mainly by changing what I eat.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
AM wondering how long it takes for the starch in rice to become resistant?
Cooking, then cooling rice with cold water and almost immediately reheating it?
Needs several hours in a fridge?
or overnight?

Reactions: Donnadoobie

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think it is supposed to be refrigerated overnight. I then reheat it by microwaving or pouring boiling water over it in a colander.

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tried the Bulgar Wheat which was recommended in the program, but my bgs went from 4.9 before eating to 8.0 two hours later. I will try it again to double check, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
I did try the Bulgur Wheat again. On Monday night I had 200g. Before eating my bg was 6.3. Two hours later it was 5.9!
So it did work this time. :)
Best out of 3?!

D

Deleted member 308541

or overnight?
I have tried this with bulk cooked rice which I have frozen for storage. I have then defrosted and reheated it in the microwave the same as I do frozen pasta.

It does not seem to work on rice for me as it still blows my bgl out

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I’ve yet to see my GP about my HbA1c reading of 49, so I am not diagnosed. My BMI is 31.
Until this reading, my diet was absolutely atrocious. I’m a chocoholic that doesn’t cook.
I was dreading having to learn to cook. I am an incredibly fussy eater with a very unsophisticated palate.
I watched ‘The Truth About Carbs’ which was on the day I got the phone call from my doctor.
Since then I’ve been reading up about ‘resistant starch’ which has given me real hope.
I actually like raw and cold potatos, cold porridge and I’ve been really pleased to find out that even white bread is high in ’resistant starch’ so long as it has been frozen. Yippee!
I know I’m going to have to drastically reduce my chocolate and sweet intake, get more exercise, lose weight and generally improve my diet but, I think I can turn things around by eating a diet high in ‘resistant starch’.
Wish me luck!
PS does anyone know if sweet corn is high in ‘resistant starch’?? You would think so wouldn’t you?
Hooray someone outside of my family likes raw potato! Never met anyone else that does. We were always given raw potato as a treat for peeling them.
Welcome you'll get a lot of help from here, I do, I learn something every time I look.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There was an interview I just caught bits of (someone phoned just at the wrong moment) with someone from (I think) Diabetes UK who was suggesting that low carb/high fat is dangerous after all - damaging to the kidneys, apparently. Did anyone else catch this and could they fill in the gaps for me?

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Watched The Truth About Carbs on BBC1 last week. It was good and gave people some good information about eating the right sort of carbs, for the general public, not necessarily diabetics.

The thing that is playing on my mind was the discussion about resistant starch, and why it is good for our bodies, helping gut bacteria. Feeling I may need to look into this.

The examples of how to get resistant starch into the diet was whole grains, potatoes, pasta and rice being cooked, cooled and reheated and freezing bread and putting into the toaster from the freezer. Obviously I wouldn’t consider any of these choices.

I have been looking into lower carb options of resistant starch and have found flaxseed, nuts. What are people’s views on rye or pumpernickel breads? Or any other foods that would help.

I am prediabetic but with a high possibility to go into type 2 with one HBA1c at 49 3 years ago, before going low carb and have been 40, 40 42 subsequent years.

Thoughts?
I have read that green bananas (very unripe) offer good choice for resistant starch. Very unpleasant to eat on their own! Also expensive because if you buy a bunch they start to ripen quickly. I may look into things again. Maybe freezing them when green, then making a smoothie in nutribullet May work?

Elliebb9

Watched The Truth About Carbs on BBC1 last week. It was good and gave people some good information about eating the right sort of carbs, for the general public, not necessarily diabetics.

The thing that is playing on my mind was the discussion about resistant starch, and why it is good for our bodies, helping gut bacteria. Feeling I may need to look into this.

The examples of how to get resistant starch into the diet was whole grains, potatoes, pasta and rice being cooked, cooled and reheated and freezing bread and putting into the toaster from the freezer. Obviously I wouldn’t consider any of these choices.

I have been looking into lower carb options of resistant starch and have found flaxseed, nuts. What are people’s views on rye or pumpernickel breads? Or any other foods that would help.

I am prediabetic but with a high possibility to go into type 2 with one HBA1c at 49 3 years ago, before going low carb and have been 40, 40 42 subsequent years.

Thoughts?
I’m in a similar situation to you Donna.... had a HbA1c reading of 49. Still got to see doctor for diagnosis.
I watched that programme and have been reading up about ‘resistant starch’. Apparently, having a high intake can really help with type 2 and can improve insulin resistance. I think that these starches get consumed by helpful gut-bacteria, in the large intestine, not absorbed as glucose. So you should not think of them as the sort of carbs that get broken down into sugars, and absorbed into your bloodstream. From what I have read, they can only do you good.... and even if some of these foods are digested in the small intestine, the pros far outweigh the cons. I’m going to try and eat a high RS diet...

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I think it is supposed to be refrigerated overnight. I then reheat it by microwaving or pouring boiling water over it in a colander.
thank you

Elliebb9

I agree, I miss the convenience of carbs not the taste but really my issue is how can I increase my intake of resistant starch without significantly increasing my carb intake. I eat flax crackers and lots of almonds, which I think fall into RS, but just wondered if others had any other ideas.

From what I have read, these starches are not absorbed as glucose, into your bloodstream, but are used to feed the good bacteria in your large intestine. So they should not be thought of as carbs that should be avoided. In fact very high doses are said to be very beneficial, especially for people with type 2. I’m gonna give it a go....

Elliebb9

Welcome to the forum @Elliebb9. I don't think sweetcorn is high in resistant starch. I do have it from time to time but only in small quantities and it doesn't seem to raise my blood glucose much. Do you have a blood glucose meter? It's the only way to find out which foods spike your bg.
My HbA1c on diagnosis was 49 too, and like you I didn't cook much and ate too much chocolate, cake and biscuits, but have brought my readings down, mainly by changing what I eat.
Thank you for your welcome (I still don’t know how to insert your username, or like posts!! In fact, I’m difficulty navigating this forum.... I seem to be going round in circles!! How do people add their diagnosis and progress data to posts???)
Yeah, this is all very new to me. Haven’t seen doctor for diagnosis... and haven’t got meter (yet)
From what I have read, a high intake of RS can only be beneficial...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

From what I have read, a high intake of RS can only be beneficial...
You have still got to keep the portion size down, as I find that it (spikes) will come back and bite me on the backside. Reheated rice is a no go for me, it does not matter what the portion size is either.

I buy lower carb potatoes, which are ok as they are, but if there are leftover spuds in the fridge, I will reheat them in the frypan till they crisp up.

The low carb bread I get is already low carb, so the the only times that gets reheated is when I have toast.

Cooked Spud Lite potatoes.

lBC6AZ7.jpg

Herman Brot bread, two slices go 10 grams.

2uAvWSz.jpg

Cooked pasta portion.

LKgE66l.jpg

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
or overnight?
I rinse mine in cold water after cooking and then reheat in the microwave - it seems to work but not quite as effective as when I do the same with pasta although I usually reheat that by adding it to the sauce I’m using.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for your welcome (I still don’t know how to insert your username, or like posts!! In fact, I’m difficulty navigating this forum.... I seem to be going round in circles!! How do people add their diagnosis and progress data to posts???)
If you want to let people know are referring to them you 'tag' them by typing @ before their username, ie @Elliebb9 .
You 'like' posts by clicking on the 'thumb up' icon in the box below the post.

Your diagnosis can be shown by clicking on your name and avatar at top right of page, then clicking on 'Personal details'. Scroll down to 'Type of diabetes' and select whichever describes your condition, then scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Save Changes'.

If you want to show test results, medication or anything else you can put it in your 'Signature' which appears below your posts.
You click on your name and avatar at top right, click on 'Signature', type in whatever you want shown, then click on 'Save Changes' in green box.

You will learn how to navigate the forum the more you use it.