Chocolate???

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Hey man. You want Venezuelian ? Aint wise to go spreading it around you know. Columbian's good too. 85% as well. Good prices.

D.

Thirsty

Delightfuldan said:
Well THIRSTY, didn't like your video very much about chocolate, but it just shows what chocolate can do...

I'm told that a few people were offended by that link, and it has now been removed. It certainly wasn't my intention to upset anyone but, to those I have, my apologies.

:oops:

witan

I'd recommend giving it up altogether - it's obviously addictive!

I didn't have any for several months following diagnosis, and the cravings were really dying down - until someone bought me a bar :evil:

Now I have to buy a (sometimes two) bars of Sainsbury's, no added sugar 70% cacoa at 96p for 100g - thats 33.6g CHO per bar so 3.4 per square and rationed at one (OK occasionally 2) squares a day the cravings now have to be kept carefully under control :(

Perhaps I'll investigate Lindt if it's not too expensive - then I can have two squares everyday :D

But seriously - has anyone got the time to correlate all this chocolate information into a table so we can compare, CHO, Cacoa, source and price easily?

What I found more worrying in this thread was that Fructose can increase your Triglycerides - how come I'd never heard or been told that before - would the effect of the fructose be effectively included in the GI rating of different fruit or is it another decision area we have to take into account?

Ray

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fructose can increase your Triglycerides - how come I'd never heard or been told that before - would the effect of the fructose be effectively included in the GI rating of different fruit or is it another decision area we have to take into
As far as I can see the research concerns the use of fructose as a sweetner and /or high fructose glucose strup, not fructose contained in fruits and veg.

The American Journal of Nutrition has recently (June 2009) devoted a whole supplement considering research. http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/139/6/1269S

The abstract from the paper concerning fructose, the metabolic syndrom and diabetes
states
'Studies in both healthy and diabetic subjects demonstrated that fructose produced a smaller postprandial rise in plasma glucose and serum insulin than other common carbohydrates. Substitution of dietary fructose for other carbohydrates produced a 13% reduction in mean plasma glucose in a study of type 1 and type 2 diabetic subjects. However, there is concern that fructose may aggravate lipemia. In 1 study, day-long plasma triglycerides in healthy men were 32% greater while they consumed a high-fructose diet than while they consumed a high-glucose diet. There is also concern that fructose may be a factor contributing to the growing worldwide prevalence of obesity..........'

but it also concludes

'The fructose that occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables provides only a modest amount of dietary fructose and should not be of concern'

witan

Thanks for that re-assurance Phoenix.

The one thing I could never drop from diet would be fruit, but like all things I wonder what normal amounts or portions are?

I have at least six portions of different fruit a day - is that too much fructose?

Ray

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have at least six portions of different fruit a day - is that too much fructose?
Some thoughts:
first reaction.... thats a lot !
second..... its less than eaten in some Med countries (and they have low levels of heart disease.)
third.... some fruits have much more fructose than others, some have very little, so how much you're eating depends upon which fruits you eat. short list on wikepediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
There are others lists but you might have to search to find all those you eat.
fourth..... what are your trigs actually like? If they are high maybe it might help if you swap higher fructose fruits for lower ones.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I picked up some Green and lbvack's in the 99p shop recently. 99p for 2 packs of 5 mini bats each.

witan

Hi Phoenix,
Sorry for the delay in replying - I had some bloods done last week and was waiting for the results so I thought I'd get them first to see how things were.

Virtually unchanged over the last 6 months on all counts...

Tot Chol 5.3
HDL 1.37
Trigs 0.77

Now I think that's all OK, but the doctor wants the Cholesterol and Trigs even lower - doubled the Statins to 40mg!

I am not going to drop any fruit based on this though...

goji

I've developed a thing for Lindt 99% chocolate which contains no sweeteners and is very low carb...

per 50g bar:
Calories 270
Fat 25g (Saturated 15g)
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 150mg
Carbohydrates 4g (Fibre 3g, Sugars 1g)
Protein 7g

Only problem is that I've never been able to find it in the UK. Some people do booze-cruises to Calais, I do choc-cruises. Last time I went I picked up 50 bars! :D It's only 1.80 euros a bar so it's economical.

I'm still looking for some good 99%/100% options in the UK that are affordable.

Willie's Venezuelan Black is 100% so contains no sweeteners but it comes in a big block and is very hard to just eat from the block. It's good for grating in recipes though.

You can get 100% at Hotel Chocolat but at £4.50 it's not cheap (for the amount I like to eat!!) plus it's more bitter than Lindt 99%

This site's got quite a good forum that has a lot of reviews of different dark chocolate....
seventypercent.com

chrissieworne

OH for the days when my hubby and i used to polish off a HUGE bar of galaxy in the evening. corrr, am dribbling just thinking about it!!! Oh well better get back to me oatcake. lol!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chrissie

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
I miss chocolate too but won't buy a bar because I know I will devour it all - I'm not a 'one square' type of gal - I would want the lot!

However, I have compensated by making a lovely creamy chocolate 'mousse' which is so easy and quick to make - here's the recipe if anyone else wants to have a go. (It's only 4 carbs per portion)

Chocolate Mousse with toasted hazelnuts (serves one)

2 tsps unsweetened cocoa
2 tsps boiling water
50g Mascapone
2 tsps your choice of sweetener
3 tablespoons double cream (whipped)
1 tablespoon chopped hazelnuts (toasted, if poss)

Blend the cocoa with the boiling water to make a smooth paste. Stir in the cheese and sweetener, then fold in the whipped cream and half the hazelnuts. Spoon the mixture into a small dish and top with the remaining hazelnuts. Chill for at least an hour or until ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Rita

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a chocoholic and my treat when I really need it - is half of a snack size snickers bar, I think the nuts slow down the sugar!!

I used to be able to buy fun size snickers but lately they are hard to come by hence having half of a snack size - dare not eat the whole bar!!

banjo brunette

I second Aldi's 85% chocolate. It comes in a pack of five individually-wrapped bars (so fewer problems for those like me who CANNOT just do one square) and costs 99p - wish it was more expensive then I'd be forced to buy less of it. Each bar is 3 and a bit carbs and can be broken into about six little pieces to make it last longer ('longer' being a relative term here). The hubby HATES dark bitter chocolate and he's sharing half a bar after tea so it can't be too bad. I've eaten a 'bar' all by itself as a test and it didn't raise my bg any more than a normal low carb meal.

The excuse I'm sticking to is the 'healthy antioxidants' one BTW :D

Cheers BB :D

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I'm a chocoholic 8) I have gone 5 whole days with no bar of chocolate and no choccie biccies :mrgreen: Just had a small bar of Galaxy :mrgreen: yum, yum. I don't like dark chocolate.

bedshaped2000

lindt 90%. i can have 4 squares of this with no change in bg readings 1 2 and 3 hours after probably to the high fat content. makes me a bit windy though lol :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nothing beats Aldi's 85% dark chocolate!

Very few carbs, and beats any other more known brand of dark chocolate hands down. :D

Nigel

Delightfuldan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Wet misty weather
I quite agree, Lidl's dark chocolates, anything over 70% is lovely. Being a bit of a chocoholic myself having T2 makes life a bit difficult, however, I allow myself one square every two to three days of their black chocolate and have had no adverse affects. There is also another chocolate called Doctor Indulgence, available from Rode near Bath. www.chocolateonchocolate.co.uk I think one can buy it online, I get it from the factory there.