Lost my way!!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...

I’m over 10 years into Type 1 so you’d think I’d have mastered it by now! But it just seems to get harder. In the early days my control was really good - with my HBA1Cs in the 5s, but now I have more responsibilities (eg a family) to factor in I simply can’t keep on top of it.

I absolutely know that a low carb diet works for me, sticking to it is another matter. I fall of the wagon (in a spectacular chocolate guzzling manner) on a regular basis. I have the greatest intentions and then life gets in the way. I wish I was that organised person who sticks to meal plans but I’m just not. My life is a little hectic, with childcare and looking after a poorly mother in law, just getting everyone fed is a task in itself.

Basically I am finding this all a bit overwhelming at the moment, my HBA1C has crept up to 7, blood sugars are erratic and I could do with loosing a bit of weight. My last eye screening showed a very tiny bleed. I know I can only help myself, but I try so hard only to fail every time.

Any advice on how to sort my life out much appreciated ;)

Jessie. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jessie It sounds like you are prioritising everyone else and putting yourself at the back of the queue.

You need to take some time for yourself, so plan your grocery shop so that there are foods in there that will help you, maybe pre-prepare some and put them in the freezer so you have a quick go to when things are busy ? Also get an appointment with your DSN too, see if they can offer you some support to get on track again, they may recommend a libre so you can do a quick scan to check your BG levels when you are busy and to help encourage you to check more often.

Life wont always be so busy, but taking care of your T1 is your investment for the future so please try and look after yourself more, particularly as there are people dependent on you too, take care hun x

Reactions: gemma_T1

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply Juicy. I am lucky enough to have a Libre due to the fact I was finger pricking more than 10 times daily. It really helps.
And you're right, I think life will eventually get easier again!

I do need to prioritise food in general - you are what you eat after all! I'll give it another go, starting with a nice big shopping list!!

Thanks, Jessie. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just remember @jessie you can eat carbs too so as long as you bolus for them, don't view this as falling off the wagon as your not on a diet, this is how it is for the long term so simply eat, bolus and don't beat yourself up if the numbers don't work out, just correct and move on. Our inner negative voice can be a pain if we let it but as you can take insulin and correct if running high then that's fine x

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Hi Jessie,
If it was really easy in the first few years you may have had a lingering and long honeymoon or who knows what other fortuitous events. Now you have others to think (and worry) about. Creeping up to 7 is nothing to be ashamed of, many of us hang around 7. It took a pump to get me into the 6’s. Have a talk to your health care team, but you maybe worried about nothing or a minor change to get into the 6 range maybe be good enough.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just remember @jessie you can eat carbs too so as long as you bolus for them, don't view this as falling off the wagon as your not on a diet, this is how it is for the long term so simply eat, bolus and don't beat yourself up if the numbers don't work out, just correct and move on. Our inner negative voice can be a pain if we let it but as you can take insulin and correct if running high then that's fine x
I do give myself a hard time, and generally cheer myself up with chocolate! I really struggle with anything too carby, I never seem to work out my doses correctly. x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you like dark choc? Fewer carbs to go wrong with...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I do, a couple of squares hits the spot! I just don't always know when to stop
We all have that problem sometimes- especially if the kids are playing up!

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds very much like my life with the dreaded D ..i worry ...then dont worry ..blah blah on the wagon ...off the wagon.. i just try and keep trying thats all i can do ... some days i get it right some days im high some days i dont give a **** some days i cry ... some days i smile cos its all gone according to plan... thats how it is so dont beat yourself up ... its what it is ..its tough so go easy on yourself your doing ok ❤

Reactions: Juicyj and Diakat

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds very much like my life with the dreaded D ..i worry ...then dont worry ..blah blah on the wagon ...off the wagon.. i just try and keep trying thats all i can do ... some days i get it right some days im high some days i dont give a **** some days i cry ... some days i smile cos its all gone according to plan... thats how it is so dont beat yourself up ... its what it is ..its tough so go easy on yourself your doing ok
Thanks for replying. That's exactly how it is, and you assume everyone else has nailed it! x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jessie I’ve come to the conclusion it is un nailable! You can but do your best. Take each day as a new challenge and put the old ones behind you.

Reactions: Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @jessie 48 years type 1 here. And still every day is totally different to the previous day! Still learning new things daily as well. I am just coming down with a nasty cough and since last night my bloods have been between 18 and 13.....seems like I am injecting water!.... Ketones are fine

At the moment it looks like you are having a "hiccup" in your diabetic management, put it down to experience. @becca59 hit the nail on the head.....couldn't have put it better if I had tried

Reactions: Juicyj

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jessie 48 years type 1 here. And still every day is totally different to the previous day! Still learning new things daily as well. I am just coming down with a nasty cough and since last night my bloods have been between 18 and 13.....seems like I am injecting water!.... Ketones are fine

At the moment it looks like you are having a "hiccup" in your diabetic management, put it down to experience. @becca59 hit the nail on the head.....couldn't have put it better if I had tried
Hi @porl69 48 years... you must be an expert One just has to keep motivated. I hope you're feeling better soon and those sugars come down. x

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @porl69 48 years... you must be an expert One just has to keep motivated. I hope you're feeling better soon and those sugars come down. x
Far from expert lol....I am getting insulin resistance due to the high readings. Its just coming down now...in single figures :)

Reactions: EllieM and jessie

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replying. That's exactly how it is, and you assume everyone else has nailed it! x
Yes! It does seem everyone has nailed it , but really they havent cos the D is un nailable! My bloods have been ok ish like under 12 for the last week ( im in lanzarote ) its hot im imobile on a lounger so dropped my insulin before we came out , today i messed up x2 not enough correction and not enough novorapid with all my meals ... its all gone wrong ..tomorrows another day on the positive side

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't get it right at times either but I now just move on, it's the ability to literally say 'next' and get on with it. I very often know what went wrong but at times I don't know either and I do seem to suffer bad control around my time of the month too, some months worse than others but this can disrupt things for a week or so which is a pain. Each day is a new day with diabetes so don't linger on the past or worry about the future, just do the best you can do each day :)

Reactions: becca59

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, every day is different, what with hormones, holidays, special occassions, one day you've cracked it and the next it all goes wrong again! I've gone wrong today as it's the office Bake Off!! No self control!

Reactions: porl69