Reduced my Hba1c!

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning everyone!

Wasn’t sure where to post this but wanted to share some good news.

I have just been to see my GP this morning for my back pain and whilst there she said my latest blood results were in and she was beaming. My HbA1c is 53! It was 88 in August last year. She went onto praise me for taking the meds, and instructed me to stop the Pioglitazone immediately and was about to type in a new prescription for a reduced dose of Empagliflozin till I added “I haven’t been taking the meds. I’ve been eating low-carb” The look on her face was priceless! She wanted to know exactly what I’m eating and promptly invited me to do a talk and share my experience to the PPG (Patient Participation Group) which I happily accepted. And this is the GP who lectured me that I needed the meds for life and dismissed low-carb. I had a very horrible time taking the meds and decided myself to stop taking them.

It hasn’t been an easy time for me these last 5 years. I lost husband to cancer, followed by my Dad to heart & kidney failure because of diabetes. Then last summer two of my friends passed away from cancer. I was at a very point in life, neglected both my physical and mental health. Checking in and reading other people’s posts on here has motivated me immensely. I know I have more work to do to reduce my Hba1c further and I’m motivated more than ever now. And to get the eat low-carb message out to others.

So that’s my good news and I’m now en route to work feeling extremely happy. Have a good day everyone!

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning everyone!

I have just been to see my GP this morning for my back pain and whilst there she said my latest blood results were in and she was beaming. My HbA1c is 53! It was 88 in August last year. She went onto praise me for taking the meds, and instructed me to stop the Pioglitazone immediately and was about to type in a new prescription for a reduced dose of Empagliflozin till I added “I haven’t been taking the meds. I’ve been eating low-carb” The look on her face was priceless! She wanted to know exactly what I’m eating and promptly invited me to do a talk and share my experience to the PPG (Patient Participation Group) which I happily accepted. And this is the GP who lectured me that I needed the meds for life and dismissed low-carb. I had a very horrible time taking the meds and decided myself to stop taking them.

It hasn’t been an easy time for me these last 5 years. I lost husband to cancer, followed by my Dad to heart & kidney failure because of diabetes. Then last summer two of my friends passed away from cancer. I was at a very point in life, neglected both my physical and mental health. Checking in and reading other people’s posts on here has motivated me immensely. I know I have more work to do to reduce my Hba1c further and I’m motivated more than ever now. And to get the eat low-carb message out to others.

So that’s my good news and I’m now en route to work feeling extremely happy. Have a good day everyone!

What a fantastic success story.

(I hope my result due out very soon is also positive)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You should've shared it with BBC, CNN and more :) Congratulations. Very well done, and while going through such hardships too. I would've loved to have seen her face!! :hilarious:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ShazDean that is such an encouraging story and will inspire many on here and at your surgery group. I am sorry for your losses and well done for being able to improve your own health.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What an excellent result for you and so refreshing to hear of a doctor who has had their opinion changed an now wants others to learn from your success! Thats an excellent result on a whole other front too!!

Reactions: Peaches20

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very pleased for you:) - you've had a really tough time but got yourself through it - that is something to be proud of :)

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should've shared it with BBC, CNN and more :) Congratulations. Very well done, and while going through such hardships too. I would've loved to have seen her face!! :hilarious:

Thank you! I still can’t get her shocked face out of my head. Lol.

Reactions: Prem51

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ShazDean that is such an encouraging story and will inspire many on here and at your surgery group. I am sorry for your losses and well done for being able to improve your own health.

Thank you so much. It’s the support and encouragement on here that has kept me going.

Reactions: Prem51

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to everyone for all the lovely and encouraging replies.

I’ve got my Endocrinology appt on Thursday so it’ll be interesting to see what the Consultant and his team have to say. The last time I saw them I was basically told off for not taking Metformin much to my protest that it was giving me too many side effects.

Later this afternoon my manager is treating me to a cream cake for my excellent results. Last time I had cake was on Christmas Day last year. It’ll be interesting to see how much my BG level rises. But hey it’s a cake and I’m going to enjoy eating it today.

Once again thank you to everyone

Reactions: Prem51 and gemma_T1

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
She wanted to know exactly what I’m eating and promptly invited me to do a talk and share my experience to the PPG (Patient Participation Group) which I happily accepted. And this is the GP who lectured me that I needed the meds for life and dismissed low-carb.
Well done, good on yer.

I'm always amazed at GPs who are so disparaging about low carb, because that's what they have been taught. Worrying really. All the best for your presentation, break a leg as they say on stage.