Who on here eats a ' normal diet"......

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have around 250-300g carbs a day, 30g protein (processed meats), and mostly not bothered about the fats/saturates, sure it makes my gut feel instant regret after eating some carb-rich processed foods but feel like it gives me energy for the next day, it is hard not to go overboard with my carbs so i take extra insulin just in case and also before i go to bed so i dont wake up with a high bg.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat normal (not low-carb and I eat everything I used to before I was diagnosed, I snack and eat sweets whenever I feel like etc) and have an A1C of 6.1% (43) which I'm happy with.
I wonder if some people can tolerate carbs more than others, if I eat a 'normal' amount of carbs I'm left with horribly high sugars even if I think I've calculated correctly?

Shellback

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about recommended portion sizes? I think the serving size suggestion on the back of a pack of spaghetti is around 100g (Uncooked weight). If I'm honest with myself then in my pre-diabetes days I probably ate portion sizes which were vastly greater than this. So maybe I'm now low carbing.............

I find my control more predictable if I eat some carbs and thus stop my body trying to turn protein into glucose. Protein without carbs normally causes a slow but persistent blood glucose rise in the middle of the night for me - although I can see why it works for typre 2s - .Of course bolus timing, accurate carb counting and activity levels all have a big impact. A walk or vacuuming the stairs are two of my go to methods of reducing the post meal spike.

Reactions: jessie
D

Deleted Account

I wonder if some people can tolerate carbs more than others, if I eat a 'normal' amount of carbs I'm left with horribly high sugars even if I think I've calculated correctly?
For me this depends on what type of fast acting insulin I use and when I take it relative to food.
If I pre-bolus, my spike is not too high with Fiasp.
I could get a similar profile from NovoRapid but needed to pre-bolus about 45 minutes before I ate.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me this depends on what type of fast acting insulin I use and when I take it relative to food.
If I pre-bolus, my spike is not too high with Fiasp.
I could get a similar profile from NovoRapid but needed to pre-bolus about 45 minutes before I ate.
Some really interesting comments. I was having my doubts about how fast Novorapid actually is...

D

Deleted Account

Very kind of you. Will you also provide snacks if I over do it? ;)
Of course. That includes home baking ... it was a couple of loaves of sourdough yesterday and it can be augmented with some of my Mum's homemade jam.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have about 150 to 250 carbs per day. That's my new normal. Nearly all the carbs are from veggies (including carrots and onions) and fruit, some from protein. No sugar, no grain, no potatoes. I tried going lower in carbs, by cutting back on fruit, under the influence of Dr. Bernstein and the like, but if I go below 120 carbs per day for more than a couple days I get a painful tummy ache which can not be ignored. I just make sure to count my carbs as accurately as possible and weigh the food so that I can take enough insulin. Sometimes I'm off in the calculations but I'm getting better at it. My tummy wants attention as much as my blood sugar does. Rarely am I too high or too low in meter readings, thank Goodness!

Reactions: Pasha