Calling All Type 2’s

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although an enlarged prostate which affects more than 50% of men over 60 would not be the cause.
Thankfully, not.
However women, esp after children (again, thankfully not! ;) ) do have a whole host of plumbing issues of their own...

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my thirst/peeing symptoms go back forty odd years to when I was in my early 20s and was diagnosed with PCOS. Luckily I did get pregnant and had symptoms during pregnancy. I still had no idea that T2 was in my future or that there was a connection between PCOS and T2 - had anyone mentioned it at the time I might not have been posting on this forum today. After that there was a few years when I managed to keep my weight very low and was symptomless.

Then at around 42 the PCOS got bad and necessitated a hysterectomy. After that I got more symptoms, more regularly but not enough to join the dots that they were all related to one condition.

I went through what I like to think of as my super fit phase in my late 40s early 50s and that was when I started having the occasional hypo. Nope I STILL didn't join the dots... it wasn't until the arthritis kicked in about 10 years ago and I couldn't exercise any more that my BG started to rise. I ignored the thirst, the peeing, the thrush, etc, but I couldn't ignore the final one thing that was so frightening and a wake up call that something was radically wrong which was when (within the space of a couple of days) my eyesight went so blurry that I couldn't see enough to read or even watch TV.
Oh ****. If you don’t mind me saying.

I just wish there was a screening process in place. But my wife tends to take a bodyswerve around anything like that so screening checks at an earlier age would only be good for those that volunteer?

Edited by moderator for language.

Reactions: Chook

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no condition of pre-diabetes, so no diagnosis is used.

It is easy to see why one might be confused over Prediabetes diagnosis as here is a line from the Diabetes.co.uk website:

“If you are diagnosed with prediabetes, your doctor should clearly set out the steps you need to take to lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.”

And then also below in the video.

CC6E0E7D-50F8-4C74-B00D-70177A0018FA.jpeg

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I had a BUPA company medical the year before which queried my BG level but I had a retest with my GP and was told I was OK.

About a year on I suddenly lost half a stone, was sleepy and weeing all the time, and my partner (bless her) hauled me off to Lloyds Pharmacy for a finger prick which (I think) was about 19.4 mmol/L. GP appointment and the rest is history.

So one year previously I am probably pre-diabetic (or just about) then bang.

A high stress job, and addiction to sweets and comforting carbohydrates, and a top weight of 14 and a half stone are likely to have pushed my pancreas over the edge pretty sharply.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
For me it was the fact I had a lot of thirst issues and persistent weight issues that followed me through my life. I used to wear 58 inch waist trousers for work only around 5 years ago and now I am back to 48 inches so that says a lot. What got me diagnosed? A severe case of thrush that I got before holiday two years back and a dire case of thrombosed hemorrhoids which persists still but is getting better. So I could have been insulin resistant since I was a kid because I ballooned despite not actually eating more than any other kid but I was VERY active as a teenager.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a BUPA company medical the year before which queried my BG level but I had a retest with my GP and was told I was OK.

About a year on I suddenly lost half a stone, was sleepy and weeing all the time, and my partner (bless her) hauled me off to Lloyds Pharmacy for a finger prick which (I think) was about 19.4 mmol/L. GP appointment and the rest is history.

So one year previously I am probably pre-diabetic (or just about) then bang.

A high stress job, and addiction to sweets and comforting carbohydrates, and a top weight of 14 and a half stone are likely to have pushed my pancreas over the edge pretty sharply.

You are not the first person that has mentioned stress as a factor. And I am sure it has been a factor with me. I now work from home in a stress free setting and that possibly helps too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it was the fact I had a lot of thirst issues and persistent weight issues that followed me through my life. I used to wear 58 inch waist trousers for work only around 5 years ago and now I am back to 48 inches so that says a lot. What got me diagnosed? A severe case of thrush that I got before holiday two years back and a dire case of thrombosed hemorrhoids which persists still but is getting better. So I could have been insulin resistant since I was a kid because I ballooned despite not actually eating more than any other kid but I was VERY active as a teenager.
Do you think it could have been picked up earlier?

Quote edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Do you think it could have been picked up earlier?

Oh totally so, probably should have been picked up all those years back when I could never shed the weight for love nor money and I was drinking like a fish too. Makes me glad to know NOW that I have the condition so I can get on the keto train and feel at my best.

srm100841

Calling all Type 2 people.

Looking back in time with the benefit of hindsight what diabetic symptoms that you had that were not aware of the significance of just before or at the point of diagnosis do you now say,

“Well yes, I now know that the conditions had been going on for a few years or more but had absolutely no idea that they were down to high blood sugars?”

How far back can you go where the earliest symptoms are recognisable to you now?

Hi,

Looking back, my symptoms were fully apparent in 1992 although I had no idea then that they were related to T2 diabetes. I just thought that I was suffering the onset of old age together with stress which was most noticeable in shortness of breath and inability to concentrate as I had previously. Then I wasn't diagnosed for 10 years which was my fault for not seeking medical advice. Eventually I was forced to and was then diagnosed.

After that I was referred to a dietician who basically advised eating a 'balanced' diet but this just seemed to exacerbate my condition. Over the next 4 years I was prescribed increasing doses of gliclazide and ultimately told that I would probably have to take insulin.

I then found this website. Researching what others were doing gave me the hope that following a LCHF diet was my answer and I followed this. After just 4 weeks or so, my levels started falling and with experimentation I found what foods I could tolerate and what others I couldn't. As a result I've dropped my medication to the minimum and feel 'normal'. I eat some 50 carbs per day which has been my intake for the last 6 years or so with the result that my levels remain consistently below 6.

My biggest regrets are that I did not recognise the early symptoms and equally that I didn't get onto the LCHF diet immediately.

Just hope that you do better than me.

Steve

D

Deleted member 308541

How far back can you go where the earliest symptoms are recognisable to you now?
I was borderline for years with all of the symptoms, had a lots of tests done in that time.

I was told I was T2 when I was in the emergency dept of the base hospital when I was having a AFib episode. I was more interested on getting my heart rate down from 170 bpm and getting the SP02 back into the 90% from < 60%.

My GP had not got around to telling me I was T2 when I was there with the AFib and before the paramedics came. It was in the notes she over with me.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Looking back, my symptoms were fully apparent in 1992 although I had no idea then that they were related to T2 diabetes. I just thought that I was suffering the onset of old age together with stress which was most noticeable in shortness of breath and inability to concentrate as I had previously. Then I wasn't diagnosed for 10 years which was my fault for not seeking medical advice. Eventually I was forced to and was then diagnosed.

After that I was referred to a dietician who basically advised eating a 'balanced' diet but this just seemed to exacerbate my condition. Over the next 4 years I was prescribed increasing doses of gliclazide and ultimately told that I would probably have to take insulin.

I then found this website. Researching what others were doing gave me the hope that following a LCHF diet was my answer and I followed this. After just 4 weeks or so, my levels started falling and with experimentation I found what foods I could tolerate and what others I couldn't. As a result I've dropped my medication to the minimum and feel 'normal'. I eat some 50 carbs per day which has been my intake for the last 6 years or so with the result that my levels remain consistently below 6.

My biggest regrets are that I did not recognise the early symptoms and equally that I didn't get onto the LCHF diet immediately.

Just hope that you do better than me.

Steve
Well hopefully I have caught them earlier than I otherwise might have. I agree with you that better or more appropriate dietary advice at an earlier stage would surely have helped me enormously.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was borderline for years with all of the symptoms, had a lots of tests done in that time.

I was told I was T2 when I was in the emergency dept of the base hospital when I was having a AFib episode. I was more interested on getting my heart rate down from 170 bpm and getting the SP02 back into the 90% from < 60%.

My GP had not got around to telling me I was T2 when I was there with the AFib and before the paramedics came. It was in the notes she over with me.
Do you mind if I ask what the early symptoms were?

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Calling all Type 2 people.

Looking back in time with the benefit of hindsight what diabetic symptoms that you had that were not aware of the significance of just before or at the point of diagnosis do you now say,

“Well yes, I now know that the conditions had been going on for a few years or more but had absolutely no idea that they were down to high blood sugars?”

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well hopefully I have caught them earlier than I otherwise might have. I agree with you that better or more appropriate dietary advice at an earlier stage would surely have helped me enormously.
I had always had the odd moment of feeling funny but put in down to low blood pressure some ten years ago i had a operation and was not recovering very well from the anesthetic the nurse asked had i taken my medication that day and I told her I wasn't on any. Two years ago i was diagnosed and this only came about because I was not recovering from a bout of thrush. I am 56 and feel that I may have had this condition for mmm any a year as I since found out that I could have been predisposed to diabetes due to having hepatitis as a child, as they think there may be a link

Iris1422

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I noticed about 18 months before being diagnosed that i was losing weight, was constantly hungry,thirsty and had a terrible itch

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had always had the odd moment of feeling funny but put in down to low blood pressure some ten years ago i had a operation and was not recovering very well from the anesthetic the nurse asked had i taken my medication that day and I told her I wasn't on any. Two years ago i was diagnosed and this only came about because I was not recovering from a bout of thrush. I am 56 and feel that I may have had this condition for mmm any a year as I since found out that I could have been predisposed to diabetes due to having hepatitis as a child, as they think there may be a link
Thanks. I am surprised how different every situation has been. I have to admit I was expecting more commonality.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed about 18 months before being diagnosed that i was losing weight, was constantly hungry,thirsty and had a terrible itch
I notice itchiness is a common ailment. And that applied to me too. Thanks.