Prediabetes to type 2

padulica

Hi,
I had gestational diabetes 25 years ago so should have been having yearly checks, up until 4 years ago I was having theses checks. For what ever reason I have not gone to the GP for a test and they haven’t contacted me. However I have been doing regular blood sugar checks at home.
I noticed recently that my fasting blood sugar was in the pre diabetic zone so decided to get an appointment to have HBA1c done. I have been today I was told that 4 years ago my Hba1c was 43 ( which is prediabetic) I was never told this at the time . The Dr explained that the goal post had been changed 3 years ago and that was the reason why I was not told.
I told him that I test my blood sugar regularly and would be very surprised if I was type 2.
His response was that even though my blood sugars have been normal I could still be type 2 and testing regularly wasnt accurate that’s why they do HBA1c test . I agree that HBa1c is more accurate, he really put a downer on what I have been doing even though they had done nothing for me over the last 4 years.
Any ideas how long you can stop prediabetic? I fully appreciate that it depends on life style ...so how long is a piece of string as the saying goes. I am having my HBa1c done next week .
Thank you

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I had gestational diabetes 25 years ago so should have been having yearly checks, up until 4 years ago I was having theses checks. For what ever reason I have not gone to the GP for a test and they haven’t contacted me. However I have been doing regular blood sugar checks at home.
I noticed recently that my fasting blood sugar was in the pre diabetic zone so decided to get an appointment to have HBA1c done. I have been today I was told that 4 years ago my Hba1c was 43 ( which is prediabetic) I was never told this at the time . The Dr explained that the goal post had been changed 3 years ago and that was the reason why I was not told.
I told him that I test my blood sugar regularly and would be very surprised if I was type 2.
His response was that even though my blood sugars have been normal I could still be type 2 and testing regularly wasnt accurate that’s why they do HBA1c test . I agree that HBa1c is more accurate, he really put a downer on what I have been doing even though they had done nothing for me over the last 4 years.
Any ideas how long you can stop prediabetic? I fully appreciate that it depends on life style ...so how long is a piece of string as the saying goes. I am having my HBa1c done next week .
Thank you
It took me a month to drop from 41 to 36. And that was with a reading that included mince pies etc for Christmas.

I went lower carb higher fat about a month ago and had my HbA1c on Monday.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Took mine from 47 to 31 in 3 months. Hit the keto line quite hard to be fair.

More carbs I skip the better I feel. Haven't eaten any at all since Monday even then it was barely double figures. I feel grrrreat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Thank you

Hello padulica - my understanding is that around 30% of those with A1cs in the 42-47 range, who make no changes to their lifestyle go on to be diagnosed with T2 within, I think it was 5 years The balance do not. I don't believe there to be reliable data for longer than this, probably largely due to the variations surrounding the recognition of prediabetes per se, and the levels a ft which it is considered to be recognised in various countries

That information is from my memory of reading a study done in Australia a few years ago. Similar work had taken place in the US and elsewhere. Dr Google would help out with some reading if you have a look.

For anyone finding themselves in this inbetweenies place, it makes sense to review their lifestyle to consider if there are credible adjustments they could make.

padulica

Thanks for your positive replies . My diet over the last 4 years has been a bit hit and miss, I have gone through phases where I will eat very few carbs and then other times I will eat rubbish , biscuits, chocolate and bread a lot. I have been been doing the Michael Mosely sugar diet for the past 5 weeks with only a couple of times when I had chocolate.( on holiday ). I play badminton , walk my dog and go to the gym regularly and always have done ...so fingers crossed type 2 is not diagnosed .

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
....so fingers crossed type 2 is not diagnosed .
Good luck with that. I was in a similar position a few days ago and genuinely didn’t know which way my numbers would go so I sympathise with you there.

Last edited:

padulica

Hi,
Just to let you know that my Hba1c has come back at 41....So I am pleased about that. I am on my 7th week of blood sugar diet and getting a bit fed up of it , but that goes to show it works ! It has been a wake up call so when I have finished blood sugar diet I am going to start 5:2 or something similar. Thanks again for your positive responses. As a matter of interest what does 41 equate to in finger prick blood sugar ...does anybody know ? X

Reactions: DianaMC

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. As a matter of interest what does 41 equate to in finger prick blood sugar ...does anybody know ?
This chart does.....
hba1c-chart.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from diabetic to low pre-diabetic/jhigh normal levels within a couple of months of diagnosis (see signature). I've remained in this range for the past five years, eating an LCHF diet (normally under 50g carbs a day). I'm a fairly ancient OAP and do very little in the way of exercise now. LCHF was a lifestyle change and so I reckon that i ought to be able to keep to these prediabetic levels until my pancreas gives up from old age. :D

For me my finger prick testing has been more important than my HbA1c results, as they tell me on a day to day basis how well I'm controlling glucose levels and how I react to particular foods. HbA1c is an average over time, so not as useful for actual glucose management.

Robbity