Conflicting advice

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watching Food Fact or Scare this morning a representative of Diabetes UK stated that Keto a d low carb diets were not suitable for diabetics.
What is the official line.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watching Food Fact or Scare this morning a representative of Diabetes UK stated that Keto a d low carb diets were not suitable for diabetics.
Why were they arguing that. I've been as low carb as possible since May 2015. Last HbA1C 34

Reactions: SimonCrox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean the official line or the method which actually works to control type two diabetes?
Eating low carb was the treatment offered for a very long time - and then the world went mad and everyone had to eat less fat, more carbs, whether it would kill them or not.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I will let others answer that. But I can vouch that lower carbs and higher fats have worked for me.

Reactions: Corysnan

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean the official line or the method which actually works to control type two diabetes?
Eating low carb was the treatment offered for a very long time - and then the world went mad and everyone had to eat less fat, more carbs, whether it would kill them or not.
I have lost a lot of weight on it and will continue. It just seems strange that a rep of diabetes UK is now going against everything that they and my nurse has recommended.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a representative of Diabetes UK
A rep from DUK who neglects to mention if he's talking about T1 or T2 is I'm afraid not worth listening to.
Usual half witted BBC rubbish I'm afraid .... I'm in remission after keto and some fasting. I'm amazed that they only use keto for people with epilepsy after all the drugs fail.. why on earth don't they try it first!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
A rep from DUK who neglects to mention if he's talking about T1 or T2 is I'm afraid not worth listening to.
Usual half witted BBC rubbish I'm afraid .... I'm in remission after keto and some fasting. I'm amazed that they only use keto for people with epilepsy after all the drugs fail.. why on earth don't they try it first!

Because no pharmas would make any money off that....

Reactions: Flora123

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have now had a reply from Diabetes UK which shows how slanted editing produced a rubbish programme that totally misrepresented the advice given by Doubles Twenefour of Diabetes UK. I quote in full -

First of all we are happy to hear that a low carb diet has had such a significant impact on your life. It is apparent from your email that it has not only improved your diabetes management but your quality of life overall so we can appreciate you were disappointed by Diabetes UK's input into "Truth or Scare" .
Unfortunately the short clip that was included in the show was taken out of a 45 minute interview that Douglas Twenefour did. In the full interview he covered the differences between a low carb diet and aketo diet and explained the fact that we have evidence for the effectiveness of a low carb diet in Type 2 diabetes in terms of weight loss, blood glucose management and reducing medications. He explained that we do not have as much evidence for keto but we are aware that some people with diabetes do follow it and have good results. He recommended that people wanting to do a low carb or keto diet involve their diabetes team to make sure they are doing so safely and can get support with any medication changes and more frequent blood testing. This is when he mentioned the fact that for some people, depending on how their diabetes is treated, hypos are a risk. Unfortunately, this was the part used in the programme and was taken out of a wider context, something that is not in our control .
It may be helpful for you to look at our position statement on low -carb diets for further information:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-09/low-carb-diets-position-statement-May-2017.pdf
We do hope this has been helpful but please do get in touch with us again if you need to. You can also call the Helpline on the number below if you would like to talk things through.

I replied - "I suggest Diabetes UK make a strong representation to the BBC for what was clearly a very biased programme that portrayed Douglas as seriously ignorant even of T1 & T2. You deserve a full airtime apology & a new programme."

Reactions: malcs90

ralphwtaylor

Yes me as well. Keto has changed my way of life. It has resolved all of my metabolic syndrome issues with my HbA1C progress as follows having started Intermittent fasting in July 2018 combined with Keto from October 2018

02 November 2016 - 46
08 November 2017 - 47
19 April 2018 - 49
25 September 2018 - 39
09 January 2019 - 34

Not doing so well on the Trigs as my last panel gave me Trig 1.6 and HDL 1.0 but this was shortly after a 5 day water fast so I don't know if that had an impact. I will check again in a couple of months after I have been eating normally (ketogenically speaking).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago, when it was started. :)

If I had, I would have drawn a clear distinction between Diabetes UK the charity, with the blue logo
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/
and this forum's host organisation called Diabetes.co.uk which has a red logo
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/

Diabetes.co.uk runs a Low Carb Programme, and is supportive of people managing their diabetes as appropriate, and this includes low carbing for those who will benefit from it.

Reactions: malcs90 and DCUKMod

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten an LCHF/ketogenic diet for over five years -my GP actually recommended the Atkins diet soon after my diagnosis - though mainly for weight loss, and he's more than happy how I'm managing my diabetes. As a T2, I no longer tolerate carbs very well, so they're best avoided I've reduced my glucose levels and kept them down for all that time, and generally I much prefer, and am far better for this way of eating. And it's is much closer too to my usual way of eating previously.

Low carb /ketogenic diets were used for T1 diabetics pre insulin discovery. Carbs require insulin, fats don't, so again it makes sense. For all the five+ years I've been a member of this forum, we've had some T1s who have eaten this type of diet, and in fact two of them were the people I originally learnt most about low carbing from. Benfits for them include reduced need for insulin, and apparently, less risk of hypos due to more stable levels. If I remember correctly there was an interesting discussion about this - found it: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/how-do-you-hypo-on-a-ketogenic-diet.66536/

They did originally use ketogenic diets for the treatment of epilepsy in the 1920s, until -you've guessed it - the discovery of a suitable drug in 1938. Apparently the observation of the anti-seizure properties of fasting led to the use of a ketogenic diet as treatment. (I thought this last bit of info might just appeal to you! :D)

Robbity

Reactions: IanD