Calling All Type 2’s

M

Member496333

A word of caution regarding blood pressure. I’m hoping that not too many people are being diagnosed with hypertension without first wearing a 24h monitor. Many people suffer “white coat syndrome” and present as hypertensive even though they may not be. I have my own monitor for this exact reason.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A word of caution regarding blood pressure. I’m hoping that not too many people are being diagnosed with hypertension without first wearing a 24h monitor. Many people suffer “white coat syndrome” and present as hypertensive even though they may not be. I have my own monitor for this exact reason.
Valid point. I have been diagnosed with hypertension for a number of years and take meds for it. I have a monitor at home and the results are significantly less. I aim to discuss reducing the meds when I see the doc next week.

M

Member496333

Valid point. I have been diagnosed with hypertension for a number of years and take meds for it. I have a monitor at home and the results are significantly less. I aim to discuss reducing the meds when I see the doc next week.

Every time I get my blood pressure tested by a doctor or nurse, I am hypertensive. I wore a 24h meter upon diabetes diagnoses because my home meter was telling me I’m fine. The 24h unit confirmed no hypertension and even now my home readings are around 110/75 or thereabouts.

Just something to consider.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I get my blood pressure tested by a doctor or nurse, I am hypertensive. I wore a 24h meter upon diabetes diagnoses because my home meter was telling me I’m fine. The 24h unit confirmed no hypertension and even now my home readings are around 110/75 or thereabouts.

Just something to consider.
Indeed. My home readings are still high and with meds. Just not as high as at the surgery. I think I do need to reduce the meds though, but I will speak to the doc first.

Also Jim, my readings have come down over the last month while at home so I credit the lower carb higher fats regime for that.

M

Member496333

Yeah LCHF generally reduces blood pressure in many people. I believe a hypothesis for the benefit is that arterial inflammation is reduced.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP found raised glucose in my urine at a routine medical in 2008. I then underwent an OGTT and passed.

I had another medical in 2012, where a different doctor found the same thing, and I underwent another OGTT and passed again. My BP was also measured at 193/103 so I was put on Amlodopine.

After this I had routine annual checks on my BP, and a blood test in 2013, but no mention was made of a raised HbA1c.

Early in 2015 I started feeling dreadful, was drinking and urinating loads. After consulting Doctor Google I deduced I might have T2D (the good Doctor sent me to this site at the same time)

I bought an Accuchek monitor and tested my blood one Sunday morning before breakfast and it was 17.4, I did the same thing the following Sunday and it was 16.3.

My annual BP monitoring appointment was the following week, so asked for a blood test to be taken as I thought I had T2D.

The rest is history.

BTW @Listlad how do you manage to get a HbA1c done so frequently when you are not "officially" diagnosed? I find it difficult enough to persuade my surgery to do one even though I am.
I did mean to add thanks for your post and noted the parallels with my own history.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My thirst started in the early 80s but my diagnosis was in 1997. Who knows, too late to worry. I think I'm more bothered by the fact that at diagnosis the first question I asked was should I cut my carb intake and was told no very emphatically.
That is very very concerning. I'm diagnosed in 2015. Harvard apparently been recommending low carb since 2005.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my wicked pleasures is watching the face of the HCP doing a test of my blood pressure - they do everything possible to raise it to what they think it ought to be, including yanking the cuff so it bites my arm.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I’m hoping that not too many people are being diagnosed with hypertension without first wearing a 24h monitor.

I've been taking my BP night and day for a week, ready for an appointment next Friday. I've switched from a microlife WatchBP from Boots to an Omron M3 (as used by my surgery). Slightly concerned that the two machines can return different results for example, just now Omron 145/65, microlife 135/75. I think cuff sizes can make a difference.Doesn't seem to be an exact science although I know my surgery use the Omron M3, so maybe I'll just go with that.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been taking my BP night and day for a week, ready for an appointment next Friday. I've switched from a microlife WatchBP from Boots to an Omron M3 (as used by my surgery). Slightly concerned that the two machines can return different results for example, just now Omron 145/65, microlife 135/75. I think cuff sizes can make a difference.Doesn't seem to be an exact science although I know my surgery use the Omron M3, so maybe I'll just go with that.
I use the Ormron M3. I had it checked at the local chemist who do a blood pressure service. The results were comparable.

Are you as big as in your avatar. If so they do a larger cuff but you have to pay extra for it.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Are you as big as in your avatar.

Slightly smaller than when that picture was taken, mind you I also had to wear padding. I think the costume was intended for someone shorter as the cod piece was level with my navel. Seemed to amuse several ladies for some reason.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly smaller than when that picture was taken, mind you I also had to wear padding. I think the costume was intended for someone shorter as the cod piece was level with my navel. Seemed to amuse several ladies for some reason.
I see. I don’t want to be picked up for thread derailment in my own thread so shall not comment further but hopefully if need be you can get the larger size, £15 I think it is.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I am now left with the impression that @DavidGrahamJones needs a larger cod piece! And only £15.
Do report if you feel I have derailed. Giggle.

Reactions: Brunneria