What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
NOTHING!!!!!!!

[Well, I did have coffee with butter and cream.]

Big shout out for the fasting team.:)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s the weird thing, it tasted like a v bland chicken and egg thing - just as I would expect.

Whatever it was was a stealth blindside.

Ah well, lesson learned.

This is my very favourit omelet, Thai Pork omelet, with just the following ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons minced pork (or minced chicken)
  • ¾ teaspoon soy sauce
  • A great big dollop of clarified butter or other fat/oil for frying as its almost deep fried.
  • Tomato sauce (optional)
I cook mine in a small saucepan to make sure it rises properly.

Recipe here but don’t eat the rice lol.

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-omelet-recipe-kai-jeow-moo-sab/

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reporting early as no food planned today
Before and after gym this morning had coffee with cream. Since then sipping refreshing green tea brewed along with with a peppermint oil teabag and lots of water as well.
Looking forward to breaking my fast either lunch or dinner tomorrow will have missed three breakfasts, at least two lunches possibly three if doing okay and two dinners - a record for me. never fasted over dinner time before
I can’t wait to get back to cooking and eating!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing how they differentiate between normal and not normal. I keep trying to persuade them the way we cook is a better normal for BGs. Grandsons certainly have the message that too much sugar is not good for you although the little one certainly wouldn't limit his sweetie intake without it being limited for him. They are developing an understanding though that sugar can be in the strangest places.
For the adults they are slowly coming round to the idea that some things do taste just fine.
My husband and daughter have been fully open to all my new recipes I keep trying and like most. I’ve always cooked homemade rather than jars of sauces etc so that’s nothing really new. They do still have some rice/pasta/potato with their meals - at the end of the day their bodies process it fine so I don’t expect them to eat like me. So it hasn’t been a massive adjustment in our house - I cook and just don’t serve the carbs on my plate. But neither can tolerate dark chocolate and so sweet things still need to be sweet for them. My daughters is quite good in fairness - she obviously enjoys sweets and chocolate but Can take or leave them. Which I’m all fine with - just wish theyd keep their hands out of my stash of low carb goodies :rolleyes:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria what if it was not real, but rather reconstituted “eggs” ? Whoever said corn syrup up there may have hit it on the nose. I don’t know how to do links on my phone so post a s’cap from the American Egg Board’s page about “liquid egg products”. I’m surprised at how few false trails I had to follow!!
IMG_7674.jpg

@dcuk yogurt starter? I can’t make out from the photo what the container that you dump your half the contents into is. When I zoom closer it just gets fuzzy.

Reactions: Brunneria

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria what if it was not real, but rather reconstituted “eggs” ? Whoever said corn syrup up there may have hit it on the nose. I don’t know how to do links on my phone so post a s’cap from the American Egg Board’s page about “liquid egg products”. I’m surprised at how few false trails I had to follow!!View attachment 31545
@dcuk yogurt starter? I can’t make out from the photo what the container that you dump your half the contents into is. When I zoom closer it just gets fuzzy.

The answer is up there ^^^^^^^ , I hope.

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria what if it was not real, but rather reconstituted “eggs” ? Whoever said corn syrup up there may have hit it on the nose. I don’t know how to do links on my phone so post a s’cap from the American Egg Board’s page about “liquid egg products”. I’m surprised at how few false trails I had to follow!!View attachment 31545

Thanks for that. Yes.

I believe that here in UK we have much stricter legislation on the use of corn syrup.
But that doesn’t mean tdht those regs are complied with...

And liquid eggs are certainly used here, in a lot of places that I wouldn’t expect.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well what interesting foodie conundrums! But I’ve no idea sadly about either. Can’t imagine how a chicken omelette could cause a bg spike so heaven knows what was in it.
As for @DCUKMod ‘s odd tube of whiteness I can’t wait til tomorrow to find out. Very brave to buy it I reckon.

Today I had sf jelly about 5am as I’d been woken by sore throat, then a late breakfast with SIL and nieces before catching train back. Went to Tesco cafe as its nearby and close to bus stop I needed. It was terrible though. No idea if its just this store or if all Tesco cafes are the same. I had bacon ( dry and very salty, sort of crumbly texture) fried egg (ok but tasted of old cooking oil) sausage ( a long pink rusk, totally inedible) and a glass of water which was lukewarm. Horrible horrible horrible.

Lunch on train 2 Babybell and a Jaffa Quake Carb Killer bar

Dinner: 2 poached eggs on salad of spinach, avocado, nice crispy streaky bacon and pumkin seeds.
Few Callebaut choc buttons afterwards.

Glad to be home and looking forward to a bath now

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of fried stuff today, very healthy I must say :)
Breakfast; a glass of my tumeric and chaga tea, a mug of Yorkshire tea, a cafetiere of kofee.
Brunch at 1100hrs with family in town; sausage, bacon, egg, mushroom.
Dinner, a wonderful slice of triple temptation (Sausage, black pudding and stuffing) that my brother in law brought for me from Hanley’s in Mitchelstown, Galway, with a couple of chooks and some sautéed greens with mushrooms and spices.
Pudding of joghurt, cream, raspberries and home made chocolate granola.
Some old vine Grenache from South Australia.

Kingmidas

No photos from me today - the only thing snapworthy was the fathead garlic bread but it's all gone however I think I need to make my food look less appealing as my husband keeps saying 'can I eat that?' well, you *can* ... whether you *should* is another matter

Breakfast - 'muesli' of tiny amount oats, desiccated coconut, pecans, pumpkin seeds and a couple of sliced strawberries with coconut milk

Lunch - rollitos, chicken, celery, salsa, nuts and 4 feta stuffed mini peppers, sugar free jelly

Dinner - chilli (daughter makes from scratch so no nasties) with said fathead garlic bread. I didn't have any soft cheese so I used garlic and herb quark (which I bought accidentally, thinking it was plain) and it came out ok!

Haven't had a pud yet but I'm thinking some halo top is in order

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - well I said there’d be no food to report due to the fast but as of 7pm tonight I’ve abandoned it - 29hrs in.
Had an awful headache since 2pm and painkillers haven’t helped at all. This is the first time I’ve felt like this - don’t know if it’s the fasting, the low blood sugars I was having or whether I’m just coming down with something and it’s fell at a bad time. But didn’t feel up to continuing which I’m ok with although I fast quite often and enjoy doing it I also know the importance of listening to your body and tonight my body wanted some food and bed.
So dinner was chicken tikka meat and king prawns with roast onions, mushrooms, courgettes and cherry tomatoes. Off to bed shortly and hoping to wake up feeling refreshed!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether you were/are fasting, playing guess the contents or what was in my omelette hope you had as good a day as possible. By the sounds of it @DJC3 that should be the least unpleasant day as possible.
Lunch was 2 slices livlife and butter (seriously overstayed its welcome so last of it off to chickens early tomorrow) 2 chicken thighs then 10 Cal jelly and Greek yogurt, Evening meal was rabbit stew with cauliflower, broccoli and chestnut mushrooms and 2 squares Green and Black peppermint chocolate. Julie nibbled her stew but couldn't overcome the fact it was rabbit.
Edited to add sorry to hear reason for you abandoning fast @Emma_369 but pleased you listened to your body. Hope early bedtime sorts things out for you.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: I escaped the house for a small Costa cappuccino! Hubby drove us to Costa, got take out coffees and drove to a beauty spot, drank coffee, admired the view and opened the doors wide to get some fresh air, all whilst keeping my foot elevated as per Dr’s orders :angelic:
Lunch: Babybels with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: mint Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner: sole with lemon and parsley dusting with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola
EF377E75-BEF1-401F-9956-595B6C5AC32B.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether you were/are fasting, playing guess the contents or what was in my omelette hope you had as good a day as possible. By the sounds of it @DJC3 that should be the least unpleasant day as possible.
Lunch was 2 slices livlife and butter (seriously overstayed its welcome so last of it off to chickens early tomorrow) 2 chicken thighs then 10 Cal jelly and Greek yogurt, Evening meal was rabbit stew with cauliflower, broccoli and chestnut mushrooms and 2 squares Green and Black peppermint chocolate. Julie nibbled her stew but couldn't overcome the fact it was rabbit.
Edited to add sorry to hear reason for you abandoning fast @Emma_369 but pleased you listened to your body. Hope early bedtime sorts things out for you.

Your post reminded me of the first time Mr C took me up to Yorkshire to meet his family. Their back garden was full of fluffy bunnies hopping around the lawn. His dad saw me looking at them and asked which one was my favourite, I pointed to a pretty black patchy one and he said with a wink ‘reet lass’ and that was the poor bunny we had in the stew that evening!
I was horrified, being a soft townie - they all thought it was hilarious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One time when I fasted and got an awful headache, I ate a piece of toast and then I realized I hadn't been drinking my tea and was having a caffeine withdrawal.

I get horrible headaches if I don’t drink coffee. Not good really.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Mid morning: I escaped the house for a small Costa cappuccino! Hubby drove us to Costa, got take out coffees and drove to a beauty spot, drank coffee, admired the view and opened the doors wide to get some fresh air, all whilst keeping my foot elevated as per Dr’s orders :angelic:
Lunch: Babybels with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: mint Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner: sole with lemon and parsley dusting with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola
View attachment 31547

Cracking photo @Rachox . Your hubby is definitely a keeper!

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Rachox that photo made me laugh!

Reactions: Chook and maglil55