What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Breakfast: Boiled egg, two slices of salt beef very thin, quarter of green pepper, six olives
Cup of tea

Salad peas and carrots and very small portion of chicken Chaucer not my favourite water to drink.

Tea: salad leg of chicken and tablespoon of salad cream
Cup of tea and I have mastered tea and coffee with no sugar and now no saccherinessoI am really proud of myself.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. So much to catch up on.

@DCUKMod I was going to suggest it was a tube of glue :D

@Emma_369 sorry to hear about the headache. Sounds like you did the right thing in ending the fast.

@Rachox great pic and glad you got out for a bit

@DJC3 enjoy the comforts of home

@Brunneria sorry about yesterday’s episode but glad the burglars have returned

Broke my fast at just past the 48 hour point. More than ready to eat. Dinner was a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich with the addition of 3 chipolatas. Followed up with some almond butter and cream - no extra thick in stock so just mixed the runny stuff in.

Oh, and I may have scraped out some bowls while baking for a work do tomorrow. Epic session. Lemon drizzle cake completed, without the drizzle but with @maglil55 s excellent lemon frosting instead. @DJC3 s Best Ever Keto Chocolate Cake just out and cooling. Took more than double the stated cooking time but judging by the batter scraped from the bowl, it will be yummy. Raspberry clafoutis in the oven as we speak.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s the weird thing, it tasted like a v bland chicken and egg thing - just as I would expect.

Whatever it was was a stealth blindside.

Ah well, lesson learned.
Was it an omelette "omelette" as in a European dish or an egg fu yung omelette? May not matter since in these things they can make a sauce to mix through it which includes soy (and they wont be using Tamari soy which is the GF version), oyster sauce and they thicken with cornflour. A meat based omelette can also include sugar in with the meat as well as more soy. So there's a few potential and possible culprits.
I had a similar problem when they changed the recipe on a dish that had previously been safe for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it an omelette "omelette" as in a European dish or an egg fu yung omelette? May not matter since in these things they can make a sauce to mix through it which includes soy (and they wont be using Tamari soy which is the GF version), oyster sauce and they thicken with cornflour. A meat based omelette can also include sugar in with the meat as well as more soy. So there's a few potential and possible culprits.
I had a similar problem when they changed the recipe on a dish that had previously been safe for me.

It was definitely ‘european’ and from the European section on the menu. The same section I would have scorned until embracing carnivore. I could detect absolutely no interesting flavours such as soy, and if there was any sugar it wasn’t noticeable, and I am v sensitive to sweetness nowadays. My bg does go wangy with gluten, but gluten is usually detectable.

Of course, they must have added something, but I have no clue what it could have been since it was flavourless, invisible and textureless.

Ah well, one of life’s mysteries.

Edited for a typo. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal you are a baking fool! (as we say it here, it just means you are doing a mess of baking, mess=a Whole Lot)
Bfast did not succeed in “egg only”; I need the fiber.... 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/cream hot to melt 2 sq 90% choc in my mouth. Yum.
Lunch odd decaf/seltzer dregs, can of Dr Pepper flavor seltzer, bought two more 12-packs today!
Supper now, before ballet class. Will involve some-but-not-too-much almond butter and maybe butter or cream (the runny kind bc I haven’t made double cream yet) and after class I think a 3 tbsp serving of hemp hearts, whose carbs are All Fiber! High protein too. Or a few spoons of yogurt.
Yesterday’s overeating of fowl and cheese gave me bg’s today as though the meatball sauce were all sugar. I scraped off as much as I could. So it’s come down now 7.5 fasting hrs after first post-p test, but not into normal. Maybe tomorrow. Happy evening, those of you who stay up to 11:30+, and good morning early risers!

set-in-stone

This is my very favourit omelet, Thai Pork omelet, with just the following ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons minced pork (or minced chicken)
  • ¾ teaspoon soy sauce
  • A great big dollop of clarified butter or other fat/oil for frying as its almost deep fried.
  • Tomato sauce (optional)
I cook mine in a small saucepan to make sure it rises properly.

Recipe here but don’t eat the rice lol.

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-omelet-recipe-kai-jeow-moo-sab/

Yum!
Hands up if you are planning to copy this recipe:wacky:

Reactions: Brunneria

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A strange day. After all the very low figures I went off to bed on a 7.3 and a FBG of 6.9. Unfortunately it went on rising to 9.2 before it returned to normal lower levels. Do feel a bit off though. School swimming day and No 1 was excellent. Bully has also thought better of picking on him. His day reached a real high when one of the teachers brought a newspaper to his class. There was an article on the Harry Potter event at the local library and the sole photo was No 1 in full Harry Potter regalia. He was as pleased as punch as well as being the centre of attention at school.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Had a bit of running about to do but stopped long enough for a couple of slices of Dr Almonds Eifelbrot with 3 rashers of crispy streaky bacon and a fried egg It was good!
D. After collecting the little celebrity and his newspaper and depositing him at home I decided on leftovers. So, I ended up with little bits of anchovies, tuna with red onion and beans, mozzarella pearls, prawn cocktail, 1/2 avocado, 4 santini tomatoes and a spoon of M&S whipped cheese. Also had another slice of Eifelbrot with chicken liver pate.
Later raspberries with chia pudding.
And Hibs won again (although Hubby doesnt know and is currently watching the match at the point they are 1 - 0 down and is moaning).

Reactions: zauberflote

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I agree. Some Schools don’t do enough about bullying. My son’s primary school turned a blind eye most of the time.
I was a bit alarmed when hubby told son to hit hard any bully who hit him. But never to hit first. I ranted about his parenting skills. It worked though. Bully was punched hard and went crying to teachers and his mum who stormed the school. I got a letter inviting me to school. I declined, stating I would not take time off work when my son was only retaliating to bullying. At long last. They sent a letter of apology after “investigating”.
Son’s remaining 3 years at primary was bliss :)
Bullying child was significantly smaller and younger than my son, and had been trading on the prevailing culture: Dont hit a smaller child... seemed best, in this situation, for my son to temper his response.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was definitely ‘european’ and from the European section on the menu. The same section I would have scorned until embracing carnivore. I could detect absolutely no interesting flavours such as soy, and if there was any sugar it wasn’t noticeable, and I am v sensitive to sweetness nowadays. My bg does go want with gluten, but gluten is usually detectable.

Of course, they must have added something, but I have no clue what it could have been since it was flavourless, invisible and textureless.

MSG?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I must admit, I was also think MSG, after some of the other suggestions. I can't believe (OK, I can because I've seen it), they sell MSG in 1kg bags here. [ shudder ]

The do gelatine, baking soda and all sorts in similr quantities.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the mystery tube was, as preducted my @dunelm and @maglil55 cooked egg white.

It was fine, with my salad and additional cheese this morning. At the moment I'm having a hard boiled egg with my cheesy salad for brekkers, but the local shop only had 2 dozen packs of eggs when I popped in yesterday. We usually buy the eggs very locally, rather than bring them back from the bigger supermarket in a backpack on the motorbike.

No local night market today, so there'll be a stroll for some breakfast mangies later for MrB. The fruit here is just fabulous. I'm tasting everything, but having to apply restraint.

And finally, this recipe was on a circular email from towsleevers. I've saved it to my CMY for another time, but thought it'd be a good dips and snacks option, when required. I'm sure the peppers can just as easily be roasted either in a conventional oven, under the grill, or on the BBQ.

https://twosleevers.com/lebanese-mu...the+latest+recipes!&utm_campaign=RSS+Campaign

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm sure the peppers can just as easily be roasted either in a conventional oven, under the grill, or on the BBQ.
What you call peppers in the UK we call capsicums (they grow locally), they cook well on all of what you suggested.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was definitely ‘european’ and from the European section on the menu. The same section I would have scorned until embracing carnivore. I could detect absolutely no interesting flavours such as soy, and if there was any sugar it wasn’t noticeable, and I am v sensitive to sweetness nowadays. My bg does go want with gluten, but gluten is usually detectable.

Maybe MSG? They tend to be liberal with it in Chinese restaurants. No idea how or why it should affect bgs, but I do know I had to stop eating Chinese because of the MSG, I simply didn’t sleep all night after eating it which wasn’t acceptable when I had to work the following day.

Reactions: zauberflote

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late posting for yesterday, but had tea and a babybel for breakfast, since being ill I have found I'm hungry in the morning even though before this bad chest I was easily doing a 20hr fast daily...
Nothing for lunch.
Dinner, keto bolognaise with slim spaghetti and salad.
Followed by sf jelly. I found OPPO ice cream in my local asda yesterday for £1.50 a 500ml tub.....bought the vanilla to try and it's lovely. Added 2 teaspoons on my jelly with extra thick cream on top, delicious

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@AngiH I haven’t kept up well - I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well :( A chest cold is the awfulest!
@DJC3 MSG does nasty things to me too. I played a gig once at a Korean church, which hosted the orchestra at a potluck supper between rehearsal and concert. I almost didn’t make it through the concert! I’ve strictly avoided Asian cuisine since then, excepting a trip to Japan which had no MSG in it.
@DCUKMod lolol I was going to make my next guess whey protein, as something that might be displayed next to tofu. Never ever would have thought egg whites. They don’t use visuals in their packaging, do they.... Costco has giant 5lb bags of baking soda - I buy that for cleaning. Volcanoes in my kitchen sink disposal are Such Fun!!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AngiH I haven’t kept up well - I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well :( A chest cold is the awfulest!
@DJC3 MSG does nasty things to me too. I played a gig once at a Korean church, which hosted the orchestra at a potluck supper between rehearsal and concert. I almost didn’t make it through the concert! I’ve strictly avoided Asian cuisine since then, excepting a trip to Japan which had no MSG in it.
@DCUKMod lolol I was going to make my next guess whey protein, as something that might be displayed next to tofu. Never ever would have thought egg whites. They don’t use visuals in their packaging, do they.... Costco has giant 5lb bags of baking soda - I buy that for cleaning. Volcanoes in my kitchen sink disposal are Such Fun!!
Thank you, ended up in a&e with suspected clot on my lung...but is just bronchitis. 11 days in and slowly on the mend. Desperate to get back on my treadmill...

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you, ended up in a&e with suspected clot on my lung...but is just bronchitis. 11 days in and slowly on the mend. Desperate to get back on my treadmill...

Yiiiikes!!! So glad it’s “just!” bronchitis. That does linger...and linger...and linger...

Reactions: AngiH