Just found out pregnant- Folic acid query

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just found out last night I’m pregnant, first time! :D Have spoken with diabetes team today and booked in to see obstetrics next week, they are prescribing me the recommended folic acid and I need to pick it up when I finish work, however my partner rushed out last night and bought me Pregnacare Plus which has 400 folic acid in it, am able to take both as the Pregnacare has all the other good supplements in it... :/

Reactions: Pamdee1

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out I was pregnant for the 1st time a week ago and I still haven’t been prescribed folic acid. I do have an appointment next Wednesday with the obstetrics team but should I have been prescribed folic acid straight away??

Congratulations btw!! X

Jkelly88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations too! Oh I’m not sure I was just really pushy with the diabetes team and they did it over the phone the same day, I figured the sooner the better. Maybe try speaking to your nurses? Good luck at your appointment, mines Tuesday eeek! X

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found out I was pregnant for the 1st time a week ago and I still haven’t been prescribed folic acid. I do have an appointment next Wednesday with the obstetrics team but should I have been prescribed folic acid straight away??

Congratulations btw!! X

They advise you take it in the months leading up to conception as it's the most crucial in the first 12 weeks. I would say that Wednesday shouldn't be a problem if your still early in the pregnancy xx