I (nearly) stayed OFF my soapbox

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started a new volunteering role today after being stuck at home for far too long. (Go me!) Whilst at lunch there was a huge tin of custard creams in the middle of the table. These are quite possibly the hardest thing I’ve had to give up. I literally sat on my hands. Also some cakes and fudge were floating about so whilst I loved the day it’s going to be challenging in some respects.

Whilst others were chatting about how awful fat was they asked why I got nothing from the subsidised lunch van and no biscuits. I explained I didn’t eat carbs other than veg and all the van had was sandwiches and pastry. They asked why so I was happy to volunteer last summer I was dx T2 and didn’t want drugs, side effects and gradual decline so opted to eat this way as a better choice in my mind. Added I’d lost 3 stone by eating the “awful” fat and put diabetes into remission so long as I kept it up. Guy says his friend just lost a foot to diabetes So then same guy says so not just sugar? Me:nope. Him:bread, pasta, rice? Me:yep none of them and no potatoes . I prefer my toes and feet to potatoes. He asked what I ate and I said meat, veg, dairy, nuts. Him: so just good fats? Me:butter cream olive oil animal fat. Jaws drop around the room. He then says he’s type 2 and wouldn’t give up his potatoes. I just watched this man eat two cakes, three biscuits and huge bread roll and some fudge whilst planning beers tonight. I think as well as sitting on my hands I need a zip for my mouth. Biting my lips like this day after day is going to chew them off.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of years back I briefly worked for a printing company..
One of my collegues (a slim built guy also on heart meds.) nearing retirement was T2.

Any how.
As is customary in most work places, whoever's birthday it happens to be brings in cake. Offered & consumed during break. So... These jam dohnut sugar bombs were placed out, normaly, I use the excuse that employers lace "work cake" with amphetamines to increase productivity & I'm left alone... ;)

I was offered to join in "cake fest" but declined owning up & stating simply that I was type one & don't do cake..
Needing to inject for it. Blah blah.. Usually I just can't be bothered bringing folk down with the "science" & my condition.
Just as looked round to see my type two collegue take a massive bite out of his jam doughnut.
I offered my share to anyone who wished "seconds." Guess who accepted my "kind" offer. :banghead:

Even the basic info is there on the NHS tinternet publication. This is your cue to ditch the cake. Happy reading. Get a meter & work it out from there.. Or here! :D

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be graphite.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult and admire your restraint. When the evidence is clear, friend loses foot but no connect to DB... :banghead:
One or two quiet words... and you've tried.
Good on you.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted member 308541

At the lawn bowls club I am a member of, on Wednesday it's ladies day. I am always being asked when I am there having a beer or two, if I want some cake of various types, sandwiches etc. when they have their tea break.

VDYwq83.jpg

These ladybirds were not bad tho'.

cw7N59x.jpg

Edit: Found the sandwiches and cake pix.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult and admire your restraint. When the evidence is clear, friend loses foot but no connect to DB... :banghead:
One or two quiet words... and you've tried.
Good on you.
Well it’s going to be challenging and not just the custard creams.

I desperately don’t want to lecture others, especially if they have zero interest in helping themselves, nor want to appear evangelical about it but **** it I confess I am (self confirmation bias perhaps?) and spreading the word is so hard to resist. For the first time ever I’m beginning to understand the motivation of Sunday door knockers a little

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I started a new volunteering role today after being stuck at home for far too long. (Go me!) Whilst at lunch there was a huge tin of custard creams in the middle of the table. These are quite possibly the hardest thing I’ve had to give up. I literally sat on my hands. Also some cakes and fudge were floating about so whilst I loved the day it’s going to be challenging in some respects.

Whilst others were chatting about how awful fat was they asked why I got nothing from the subsidised lunch van and no biscuits. I explained I didn’t eat carbs other than veg and all the van had was sandwiches and pastry. They asked why so I was happy to volunteer last summer I was dx T2 and didn’t want drugs, side effects and gradual decline so opted to eat this way as a better choice in my mind. Added I’d lost 3 stone by eating the “awful” fat and put diabetes into remission so long as I kept it up. Guy says his friend just lost a foot to diabetes So then same guy says so not just sugar? Me:nope. Him:bread, pasta, rice? Me:yep none of them and no potatoes . I prefer my toes and feet to potatoes. He asked what I ate and I said meat, veg, dairy, nuts. Him: so just good fats? Me:butter cream olive oil animal fat. Jaws drop around the room. He then says he’s type 2 and wouldn’t give up his potatoes. I just watched this man eat two cakes, three biscuits and huge bread roll and some fudge whilst planning beers tonight. I think as well as sitting on my hands I need a zip for my mouth. Biting my lips like this day after day is going to chew them off.
It is the guy with T2D and the large appetite that needs some form of lip surgery or an app that rings an alarm every time something inappropriate passes his lips, and I am not referring to swearing !!. And the sugar tax is not going to affect him whilst in future he is likely to cost the NHS a lot of money !! And all that his doctors will be doing is prescribing more and more drugs without considering the basic problem.
Keep eating your LCHF diet. Maybe something will rub off. Taking a crutch along as a hint might be a bit provocative though !!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
A couple of years back I briefly worked for a printing company..
One of my collegues (a slim built guy also on heart meds.) nearing retirement was T2.

Any how.
As is customary in most work places, whoever's birthday it happens to be brings in cake. Offered & consumed during break. So... These jam dohnut sugar bombs were placed out, normaly, I use the excuse that employers lace "work cake" with amphetamines to increase productivity & I'm left alone... ;)

I was offered to join in "cake fest" but declined owning up & stating simply that I was type one & don't do cake..
Needing to inject for it. Blah blah.. Usually I just can't be bothered bringing folk down with the "science" & my condition.
Just as looked round to see my type two collegue take a massive bite out of his jam doughnut.
I offered my share to anyone who wished "seconds." Guess who accepted my "kind" offer. :banghead:

Even the basic info is there on the NHS tinternet publication. This is your cue to ditch the cake. Happy reading. Get a meter & work it out from there.. Or here! :D

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be graphite.
You can fill a mind with knowledge but not make it think!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Some just can't give up the **** that has turned them into a diabetic... it's insane, makes no sense and after watching his friend lose a foot to T2 you'd think he'd do whatever to avoid it, but nope.

Just how it is... you can lead that horse to water.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I sympathize I have often had to stop myself on the subject of diabetes when I see my audiences eyes glaze over,you can not convert those who do not want to learn but you can and are Leading By Example. but you need a strong will to do so without lecturing all those who say ' Oh go on one wont hurt.'

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just a remark from the side. People still smoke cigarettes despite the well founded health warnings. Same for excessive boozing . As human beings we do not always take the logical pathways. We even repeat mistakes learned from past history.

Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

In the end, all you can do is share your knowledge and experience of your choices. If people don’t want to listen then they will reap the consequences of their own. Positive or negative.

If there’s one common factor I’ve learnt over the past couple of years it’s that people don’t appreciate being made aware that their dietary choices are a metabolic disaster. I’ve given up. It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled.

Reactions: Flora123

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In the end, all you can do is share your knowledge and experience of your choices. If people don’t want to listen then they will reap the consequences of their own. Positive or negative.

If there’s one common factor I’ve learnt over the past couple of years it’s that people don’t appreciate being made aware that their dietary choices are a metabolic disaster. I’ve given up. It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled.
Well said, Jim.
Must repeat though that i am fed up paying taxes for other's wilful behaviour. I know that a sugar tax, a tax on cigarettes and so on should assuage that concern, however do monies from such taxes go back into health costs ? And is not the Government accruing money from such taxes as well as alleged inducements from lobbyists of Big Food, Big Tobacco and Big Pharmacy?
And Dietitian's Association in UK, Oz, South Africa and elsewhere have been sponsored by at least two of the above to allegedly continue to push 'big carb' (and suppress low-carb). . Dietary miscreants have few to discourage them which is why those who watch their diabetes management, their diets whatever they are and do their best have the sometimes unsavoury task of keeping up the best example in the face of such gluttony, self-neglect and excess!!
And why I query the GP who keeps writing out scripts, sight unseen, for such people - which action is likely to worsen inappropriate food intake, worsen health and fill Big Food and Big Pharma's pockets. ? and at who's expense??

D

Deleted Account

Some of these stories remind me of a colleague a few years back.
She wanted to lose weight.
She did not have diabetes and this was never discussed (I didn't have type 1 in those days).
As part of her weight loss diet, she would eat Weight Watchers meals for every lunch.
Whatever you think about Weight Watchers approach, you may think "at least she was trying".
However, when I write that in plural, I mean she ate 2 x Weight Watchers meals every lunchtime.

I said nothing.

Cathi18768

I feel quite sad that I didn't discover LCHF until I was 62, having battled with my weight, depression, a variety of chronic side effects, then finally type 2 diabetes, all my life. I feel convinced I have been carb sensitive from a very early age, and am eternally grateful to all our champions, (Volek and Phinney, Mary Kemp, Malhotra et al) for the wake up call. At least I am going into old age a lot healthier, lighter and happier. Still on some medication, but nearly there now - just need one last push. I think we are our own best advertisement by getting and staying healthier, but as someone said, once people are on carbs, it is as hard an addiction to break as cigarettes, drugs or booze -perhaps harder as carbs are everywhere and we need to eat to live! I hate the way there is so little choice in cafes etc (although to be fair I have found that they will often substitute salad for chips if asked!) I know what you mean about vans/ caterers with sarnies, cakes etc and often the "healthy" option is a bunch of carb laden bananas! Keep on soapboxing - people need to be aware!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I feel quite sad that I didn't discover LCHF until I was 62, having battled with my weight, depression, a variety of chronic side effects, then finally type 2 diabetes, all my life. I feel convinced I have been carb sensitive from a very early age, and am eternally grateful to all our champions, (Volek and Phinney, Mary Kemp, Malhotra et al) for the wake up call. At least I am going into old age a lot healthier, lighter and happier. Still on some medication, but nearly there now - just need one last push. I think we are our own best advertisement by getting and staying healthier, but as someone said, once people are on carbs, it is as hard an addiction to break as cigarettes, drugs or booze -perhaps harder as carbs are everywhere and we need to eat to live! I hate the way there is so little choice in cafes etc (although to be fair I have found that they will often substitute salad for chips if asked!) I know what you mean about vans/ caterers with sarnies, cakes etc and often the "healthy" option is a bunch of carb laden bananas! Keep on soapboxing - people need to be aware!

You've discovered it.... many of us have and are finally making great strides with our health.... Health care systems still have their heads in the sand.

M

Member496333

...perhaps harder as carbs are everywhere and we need to eat to live! I hate the way there is so little choice in cafes etc...

Absolutely, and even if you can find something genuinely low-carb and additive-free in eateries, it was probably made or cooked with toxic oils of some description. Really it’s almost impossible to trust anything that wasn’t prepared by your own hands.

Reactions: Flora123

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well said, Jim.
Must repeat though that i am fed up paying taxes for other's wilful behaviour. I know that a sugar tax, a tax on cigarettes and so on should assuage that concern, however do monies from such taxes go back into health costs ? And is not the Government accruing money from such taxes as well as alleged inducements from lobbyists of Big Food, Big Tobacco and Big Pharmacy?
And Dietitian's Association in UK, Oz, South Africa and elsewhere have been sponsored by at least two of the above to allegedly continue to push 'big carb' (and suppress low-carb). . Dietary miscreants have few to discourage them which is why those who watch their diabetes management, their diets whatever they are and do their best have the sometimes unsavoury task of keeping up the best example in the face of such gluttony, self-neglect and excess!!
And why I query the GP who keeps writing out scripts, sight unseen, for such people - which action is likely to worsen inappropriate food intake, worsen health and fill Big Food and Big Pharma's pockets. ? and at who's expense??

Our DAA is riddled with agenda appointed people, corrupt to the core.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Well said , @Tophat1900 ! It notice that they have removed a lots of past messages on the net and have a new CEO.
And they say they are not associated with Big Food anymore. But who they are sponsored by.?? And they still have some of their members in Big Food.
No knowing who is bankrolling them because they do not say. So much for transparency, honesty and the "Australian way".
At least one registered dietitian has recently spoken out about her ideas on Low Carb diet and of DAA's past non-acceptance of them. So far she has not been bundled into de-registration land (yet).
And DAA keep writing that they are applying to join APHRA. But the Federal Health Minster's lackeys say that no application has been received !!! One would think that after Dr Gary Fettke's treatment by APHRA the Minister has enough lack of oversight issues about APHRA to lose an election. So who knows !!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine

Well done for not getting into an argument, I probably would have gone for it. This is totally what I take issue with. People who are judgey as heck, then just continue troffing their way through life without even *trying* to change. That guy is headed for the amputation room. Well done for sticking with your plan.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very easy to underestimate the grip that carbs have on people who are isulin resistant.
It is an addiction, for many. Complete with carb cravings and withdrawal symptoms when they cut down or reduce.

It is a big ask to expect them to cut down on a basic food type AND overcome decades of media hype about how the alternatives (fats) are a stab in the heart, while spending more time, effort and money on non packaged and non processed foods.
Especially if their doc has told them to 'eat normally', 'carbs are for energy' and 'don't test, have a tablet'.

If people are interested, and ask, then I am happy to discuss anything they like. But I never start the conversation, or give suggestions unless they show a real interest (I take being on this forum and engaging in the threads as 'showing a real interest', but I don't think sitting in a work break room eating cake, is 'a real interest'). And I certainly don't discuss my own health with anyone but extremely close family and friends, or at medical appts.

Having said that, I think in the early days I freaked a couple of people out. Being able to quote studies, name researchers, and explain how insulin resistance works, may be perfectly normal here on this forum, but it is a pretty freaky thing to get from an acquaintance during a bit of chit chat over a tea break. Intimidating and disturbing for the audience.
I learned not to do that very quickly.

As a quick example, I was drinking broth in the office and got taken to task by a manager 'there is too much salt in that!'

To which I replied that there were 4 g of salt in the entire organic stock cube, and that I was drinking a third of it. And since salt requirements are highly variable depending on climate, personal need and activity levels, plus I had skipped breakfast and would only be eating one meal today, my salt intake would otherwise be low...

At that point I looked around and saw their faces.
Hilarious.
You would have thought I had grown a 3rd head.

Last edited: