Type 2 New! Low weight!

J Dean Jr

Hey there! I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes 1/15/19. I was diagnosed after having extreme thirst, blurry vision, weight loss and a high glucose ready. I am doing great now! However, it is hard to keep weight on. Thinking it may be due to the new eating habits and Metformin. Has any of you had an issue keeping weight on? Thank you!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
One of the most common concerns.

Once carbs are cut out, nigh on totally in my case, epic weight loss typically, though not certain follows.

In my case i hit the weight my body wants to be.
At that point you will find your hunger comes back with vengeance until you get your fat intake up to what your body wants.

You might not hit that point though.

J Dean Jr

One of the most common concerns.

Once carbs are cut out, nigh on totally in my case, epic weight loss typically, though not certain follows.

In my case i hit the weight my body wants to be.
At that point you will find your hunger comes back with vengeance until you get your fat intake up to what your body wants.

You might not hit that point though.

Thank you very much!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there! I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes 1/15/19. I was diagnosed after having extreme thirst, blurry vision, weight loss and a high glucose ready. I am doing great now! However, it is hard to keep weight on. Thinking it may be due to the new eating habits and Metformin. Has any of you had an issue keeping weight on? Thank you!

These days I have to watch my weight, to ensure I don't start creeping downwards again.

In order to deal with this, if I find my weight going down, I up the portion sizes a bit, but ensure I have plenty of fats in the mix, due to their high calorie content. I tend not to increase the carbs at all, although there will generally be a little increase if I just eat more (as there's be more veg, or whatever on the plate). Just full disclosure on my part.

Where are you on the (albeir flawed) BMI chart. I'm not looking to pry, but just trying to gauge how close an eye you need to keep, from a purely healthy, thriving weight perspective.

M

Member496333

Have you lost weight by calorie restriction, or by carbohydrate restriction? If it’s the former, you will continue to lose weight until you likely rebound and gain it all back. If it’s the latter, and you displace the carbs with natural fats, your appetite will no longer be hijacked by carbohydrate dependence, your body will reach its biological optimum (which is almost always a lot slimmer than we are becoming accustomed to expect), and then it will begin making you more hungry more often. In this instance - trust the appetite - that’s what it’s for.

In summary - barring any undiagnosed issues or abnormalities besides diabetes - if you’re eating the right foods then nature will take care of your weight with little to no conscious input or scale watching. If you’re just eating low calorie then you’re probably setting yourself up to fail in the longer term.

Last edited by a moderator:

J Dean Jr

These days I have to watch my weight, to ensure I don't start creeping downwards again.

In order to deal with this, if I find my weight going down, I up the portion sizes a bit, but ensure I have plenty of fats in the mix, due to their high calorie content. I tend not to increase the carbs at all, although there will generally be a little increase if I just eat more (as there's be more veg, or whatever on the plate). Just full disclosure on my part.

Where are you on the (albeir flawed) BMI chart. I'm not looking to pry, but just trying to gauge how close an eye you need to keep, from a purely healthy, thriving weight perspective.

Thank you for your feedback! I will try that, because I have decreased the amount of fatty foods being eaten. I think my BMI was 30%.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your feedback! I will try that, because I have decreased the amount of fatty foods being eaten. I think my BMI was 30%.

J Dean Jr, you don't make it clear if the BMI of around 30 is before or after your weight loss, but it seems unlikely you are in a danger zone yet.

The BMI ranges are:

Less than 18.5 = Underweight
18.5-24.9 = Healthy Weight
25-29.9 = Overweight
More than 30 = Obese and so on