GCSE biology textbook - diabetes section...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. It's one of the many time BBS waiting to explode I'm the face of the politicians who ignore diabetes.

So little is known about in the masses and many maybe walking around with it, untreated.

I do wonder if it's related to our lifestyle, including rubbish junk food

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

If that was the case then at least half of the world would be diabetic. The fact that they are not means there is clearly something else going on, ie, there must be a flaw in the body to begin with which is then exacerbated by 'rubbish junk food'.

alan_diggers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think we know how many people have diabetes. I seem to recall that the best guess is around 21% of the adults in the Western world have diabetes.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don’t think people should be allowed to have diabetes until they have passed GCSE Biology, Maths and Computing! :)

Reactions: Brunneria

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don’t think people should be allowed to have diabetes until they have passed GCSE Biology, Maths and Computing! :)
I don't think I coulda passed an O Level when I was diagnosed (GCSE's didnt exist back then) :), mind you I didn't even know what maths was at that point :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I pressed the funny icon, because it is so true, but also so sad.
I was the lucky one then, I was 31 when diagnosed, unfortunately my granddaughter was just 2 1/2 years old :(
ps It was CSE's and O'levels in my day:rolleyes:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
This density of the writing and concepts being explained is confusing for adults let alone school pupils.
what has happened to diagrams and children learning to their strengths? For example: those more visually inclined can understand a diagram well, but there are ways to make a diagram work for the more auditory inclined like a song sequence and for those more kinaesthetically inclined, this a movement sequence. Fit the learning to the pupil not the pupil to the dense array of words.
The text book (and that is being polite)!! can be used to make the lesson teachable but not as the "faucet" of knowledge that all pupils have drink from, puke after and the education dept carry on regardless.. A block of goobledegluk, 'tis. (and that is not Shakespeare, by the way)!!!
We learn by use of our senses but education tries to force us all into a rigid tube of learning. No wonder it fails and good persons like @Mel dCP get cars and handbags vandalised. The kids are frustrated because they cannot learn.
This is your chance @Mel dCP: the restless, cannot sit still ones up the back are probably kinaesthetic, they learn by movement and rhythm, The ones that tilt their head to listen more and have sing song voices are preferably auditory so learn from rhyme sounds, song sequences and the prefer visual are up the front to see, and not be distracted by others, do not like movement of what they are looking at and learn by looking.
The method is just as important as the content. three different learning modalities for a sequential diagrams
Food in (like crops a etc)--> digestion --> glucose (fuel) to liver (Big Factory ? with a Big Controller) --> fuel storage
...........................................insulin (the gatekeeper) added --> sugar (fuel) into cells, including muscle and muscle fuel depot
Brain and liver are gatekeeper exempt /Why? etc etc. Have fun !!!
I would love to attend The "disease derby"! what is the bogey bacteria, the virus villain and the frightening fungus !!!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how you feel about having a label. Being identified by a condition is debilitating in itself. People love to use labels to identify it gives them comfort! no matter how the person with the 'label' feels. And every 'label is so diverse and that is never considered Once upon a time your red hair would be the butt of many jokes
I have been lucky to be mum for a daughter with many labels. Sadly often people get the label wrong! And now blest with two grandchildren who have to be put under a label We need to campaign for a 'NO label using day' - 'see me for who I am day'
Don't let a word define you.

Personally words don’t define me, luckily I feel very confident in who I am. Retired, daughter, sister, aunt, wife (love that one, 40 years this year very proud!) mother, nana, diabetic, swimmer, in bloomer, litter picker. It doesn’t matter a jot. I am me, Rebecca living my life and I don’t care what any one thinks of me or what label people want to put on me. I shall still go to bed tonight and hopefully get up tomorrow either high or low whatever the blood gods have in store. But I will still be me.

K

Knikki

Well I have grown up a Diabetic, it is what I am, if you want to stick a label on me fine, but you might be surprised to find I don't quite fit into your idea of what a Diabetic is.

Cake anyone?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If that was the case then at least half of the world would be diabetic. The fact that they are not means there is clearly something else going on, ie, there must be a flaw in the body to begin with which is then exacerbated by 'rubbish junk food'.

Or possibly a change to the foods we consume that exacerbate an already existing weakness, ...?

I'd venture to guess that evolution of the human biology is a slow old process
Much more likely to be the influence of something outside the body, imho.

Consider the spread of disease from the conquistadors through south america, as common disease ravaged the indigenous populations, who had no need of protection from a disease they just didn't get on their continent.

Perhaps it's just people being more aware of their health re the web, but all I seem to hear is the rise of eating disorders.

GM and the chemicals to protect crops..mmhh.
who knows what impact they can have even in tiny doses over a long period of time.

My money's for diabetes, is still on the foods we buy..being stuffed with unhealthy sugar/carb levels..with fewer options and such poor choice in the time poor working world, might be why so many more are falling foul of obesity and diabetes

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or possibly a change to the foods we consume that exacerbate an already existing weakness, ...?

I'd venture to guess that evolution of the human biology is a slow old process
Much more likely to be the influence of something outside the body, imho.

Consider the spread of disease from the conquistadors through south america, as common disease ravaged the indigenous populations, who had no need of protection from a disease they just didn't get on their continent.

Perhaps it's just people being more aware of their health re the web, but all I seem to hear is the rise of eating disorders.

GM and the chemicals to protect crops..mmhh.
who knows what impact they can have even in tiny doses over a long period of time.

My money's for diabetes, is still on the foods we buy..being stuffed with unhealthy sugar/carb levels..with fewer options and such poor choice in the time poor working world, might be why so many more are falling foul of obesity and diabetes

Hi JJraak, a very interesting viewpoint. The thing is though, just about everybody buys and eats these unhealthy sugars and still don't get diabetes so I do believe you have to have that flaw in the first place.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a secondary school and hear lots of ‘Argggg Krispy Creme donuts are in the canteen! I’m getting some diabetes!!!’ or ‘You’ll catch diabetes’ or ‘OMG I’m like so fat I’m like totally diabetic.’ This is often after its been covered in the syllabus. Sometimes I think I shouldn’t work in a school, or at least wear ear defenders. Or the other option would be to give them a slap, but that’d get me the sack. Anyway it’s more offensive when the Daily Nazi say we are ruining the country’s NHS x

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work in a secondary school and hear lots of ‘Argggg Krispy Creme donuts are in the canteen! I’m getting some diabetes!!!’ or ‘You’ll catch diabetes’ or ‘OMG I’m like so fat I’m like totally diabetic.’ This is often after its been covered in the syllabus. Sometimes I think I shouldn’t work in a school, or at least wear ear defenders. Or the other option would be to give them a slap, but that’d get me the sack. Anyway it’s more offensive when the Daily Nazi say we are ruining the country’s NHS x
Is that right? Krispy Kreme doughnuts in the canteen?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep. For charity fund raising days. You couldn’t make it up. Oh and the place is awash with energy drinks.
Did you see my posting #38 of this thread? The Fairtrade Food flyer for primary school kids?