Taking food on holiday

Leeds Lass

Does anyone know if you allowed to food on holiday? It would alll be dried food in sealed packets, so no meat or cheese or anything like that. We have managed to get my T1 boyfriends blood sugar under good control and would feel better if we could take certain things with us. I know you can buy anything abroad now but it would just make me feel better have some of the usual things that we eat.

LL x

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been thinking about the same question, I'm going to America soon. I'm wheat intollerant and would like to take some of my museli mix with me (so I know what's in it). I looked on the website of US customs and it wasn't clear what I could bring in.

It depends on where you are going, what the rules are. Some foodstuffs are banned, but I have taken my museli to Europe. There are also rules on what food you can bring back to the UK.

Leeds Lass

We're going to Menorca but i'm the same as you, being that we could probably get a subsitute but I like to know whats in it. We were just thinking of taking things like packets of cous cous, big packets of jelly babies and certain types of biscuits as we know they control his blood well.

Unicornz

Leeds Lass said:
We're going to Menorca but i'm the same as you, being that we could probably get a subsitute but I like to know whats in it. We were just thinking of taking things like packets of cous cous, big packets of jelly babies and certain types of biscuits as we know they control his blood well.

All those foods should be fine to take with you. I've travelled tons of times between England and the Netherlands taking all sorts of food with me (I tend to miss my Dutch food now I live over here lol) sometimes even taking dried sausages with me. Never had anyone even bat an eyelid about it. As Denise said, as you're travelling within the EU there should be no problem whatsoever!

Hope that sets your mind at ease a bit :) enjoy your holiday!

sugar2

I alwats take a couple of packs of ginger biscuits with me...as my "in case there is nothing else" and also not bad for mild hypos. Only been inthat situation once, but I was glad of them. Always take stacks of dex trose tabs, jelly babies etc, but actully, if I am on holiday, part of the holiday is the local cuisine...can test my carb counting skills ometimes.

Happy holidays!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Enjoy the holiday Leeds Lass! :)

Nigel

paulastamp

Hi,

We went to Menorca in May this year & took loads of food with us, most of it was packed in suitcases. Because we flew in the early hours of the morning & knew we wouldn't have chance for a proper breakfast, we also had cereal bars, Mars bars, etc in our hand luggage & didn't encounter any problems what so ever.
The food was very expensive to buy over there, so I'd recommend that you pack as much as you can!

Paula.