What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yiiiikes!!! So glad it’s “just!” bronchitis. That does linger...and linger...and linger...
The "just" bit is being thankful it wasn't a clot although I agree it's not "just" it's blooming awful ...and lingering..... Can't wait to feel good again.

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The "just" bit is being thankful it wasn't a clot although I agree it's not "just" it's blooming awful ...and lingering..... Can't wait to feel good again.

Yes, take it very carefully and slowly. Bronchitis is just one step down from pneumonia, so look after yourself!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Up really early this morning, one of those “why am I awake at dark o’clock” mornings.
Breakfast in the dark; a glass of my tumeric and chaga tea, a mug of tea, a cafetiere of kofee, another mug of tea and a baby belle cheese.
Early lunch at 1100; tuna mayo with chia seeds on a slice of my home made hemp bread and smothered onto 4 baby gem lettuce leaves.
Dinner, it’s all prepped; Filet steak (just getting up to room temperature) with a mushroom and peppercorn sauce and a few sautéed greens. Wine? Don’t mind if I do, thanks.
Pudding; joghurt with cream, bashed raspberries and some grated chocolate.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry I'm not posting at the moment. Mr C spirited me away on a surprise mini break (very Bridget Jones) to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Plenty of food eaten - much of it low carb but not sufficiently low enough carb for my BG to behave themselves so I am looking forward to my fast next week.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@dunelm must be spring fever! I’ve been waking up early (for me this winter) all week - it’s broad daylight by 0700 which I really love.
Congratulations and many happy returns @Chook !
I am slow-cooking lc chili, and since I am not eating between bfast and supper, how the heck am I supposed to know if my seasoning is good?!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am happy to report that my bg is behaving itself on my usual homecooked carni eating - thanks Libre! Nice steady graph lines.
Thank goodness.

After that FBG of 8.8 I thought things might be spiraling.
But on steady carnivore days, things trundle along nicely. So long as I avoid stress, and toxic omelettes ;)
My FBGs are always erratic, but it isn’t food that does it, it is stress hormones from dawn phenomenon, and unless someone can tell me how to prevent that...

Anyway, today:
B: Maccies double sausage and egg thing, minus carbs.
L: none
D: lamb mince with Moroccan spices. Very nice. And since I cooked 2 kilos of it, it will be nice for days. :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone went out for a very posh lunch today at the Ivy Brasserie in Guildford. It was a birthday gift for a very dear friend who was 80 recently. For starter I chose Prawn Cocktail which had really large juicy prawns and Little Gem lettuce a couple of cherry tomato halves and wasnt too flooded with marie rose sauce. Main was Chicken Milanese which was so lightly crumbed with brioche and served with a fried egg on top and brocolli stems with lemon oil. While my friend tucked into a chocolate and cherry sundae with cream and meringue served with a small jug of sour cherry sauce I just looked on longingly with a cappucino. It was so fantastic and we both enjoyed it.
So wont eat any more today. Maybe cup of tea and chunk of cheddar if otherwise.

Yesterday was
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, lots of butter and lots of tea.
Lunch: Mixed salad and rollitos.
Dinner: chicken breast roasted and brocolli (nothing like as tasty as todays version).
Just realised the irony of choosing of ordering chicken and brocolli again today at the restaurant.

I am longing for Chinese food which I havent eaten for at least 18 months so have bought tub of oriental stirfry veg to go with prawns tomorrow with ginger and soya sauce. Will also stir fry slivers of beef with mushrooms and oyster sauce to mix it up. Noodles for OH. I expect its the sauces that will be the carb danger zones. Any suggestions welcome.

Kingmidas

Pretty standard day today

Breakfast - usual 'muesli' with coconut milk and berries, tea

Mid a.m. - Atkins coconut bar

Lunch - salad, chicken, nuts, feta stuffed peppers, celery sticks and salsa dip

Dinner - pan fried rib eye steak, mushrooms, broccoli and asparagus (all done in the same pan)

Just wanted to share this interesting article which a Facebook friend of mine posted. She went low carb just over a year ago for many reasons but it has simultaneously helped her eczema and anxiety issues as well as controlling her blood sugars and her weight - the headline is a bit misleading as it's not 'aimed' at vegetarians at all (but that's the media for you)

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment...-her-early-death-we-should-all-learn-from-it/
20190228_191824.jpg

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Well I awoke with the same miserable headache I went to bed with. Still not sure what to put it down to so giving up trying to guess. After starting the day with my lowest FBG so far I took that and my feeling rubbish as an excuse to eat my way to normality. Breakfast - a square of green & blacks orange and almond chocolate with my usual protein peanut & chocolate bar and a coffee
Lunch - 2 chilli & lime chicken quarters, 5 ribs of fire, a babybel cheese and some mayo
Pleased to report that by mid afternoon I was feeling back to my normal, loving life, self. Although a very full version of her, so no dinner as still stuffed from my meat overload!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: caramel phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: mature cheddar and mushroom omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 6.9 and yet another DP up to 9.4 before descent. Once again normality persists after DP disappeared. Crazy Dress day at school for fundraising. I took choobacca and a stormtrooper to school today while encountering iron man, assorted spidermen, wonder woman, unicorns, and even the deputy head was done up in a full clown outfit. After leaving school headed home to get ready for Aqua.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 2 slices Eifelbrot with pate pate.
L. Nothing - heading back from Aqua and thankfully no idiots with glass bottles today. Stopped off to pick up carrots, broccoli and quorn bacon.
D. Boys here for dinner. I'd seen a recipe I fancied but I made a veggie version for No 1 grandson. Used Quorn mince with saute onion, parsley and veggie stock. Put half into a loaf tin and added peas and broccoli then baby bel cheese and topped it off with the rest of the quorn mix and topped with quorn bacon. Did the same for me but with mince and bacon. He loved it , wants it for lunch tomorrow too. I tasted it myself and I was surprised how mince like quorn is (or maybe it's down to the way I cooked it?
Later I had chia pudding and raspberries.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Miscalculated how much effect a colder day would have on my hunger. By 6.10 all I had eaten was 4 squares Green and Blacks exquisite peppermint chocolate. It was so bad I ate some dripping which is something I have never done before and never dreamed I would be driven. Used dripping to cook 2 potobello mushrooms and an avocado both of which I filled with grated cheddar cheese and cooked in the oven. Topped mushrooms with 2 poached eggs. Needed warm food and Julie was suddenly not well so that was the best I could do. Needs perfecting but the idea is sound. By 7.00 all control had gone so I ate 2 slices corned beef and a chicken thigh. We'll see how joints cope with that.
A day without highlights - I am not made for housework:banghead:
Edit to avoid confusion: The housework was not cooking, I can do that, I had to hoover, dust do washing etc. No axes, saws, hammers or power tools involved:arghh:

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone went out for a very posh lunch today at the Ivy Brasserie in Guildford. It was a birthday gift for a very dear friend who was 80 recently. For starter I chose Prawn Cocktail which had really large juicy prawns and Little Gem lettuce a couple of cherry tomato halves and wasnt too flooded with marie rose sauce. Main was Chicken Milanese which was so lightly crumbed with brioche and served with a fried egg on top and brocolli stems with lemon oil. While my friend tucked into a chocolate and cherry sundae with cream and meringue served with a small jug of sour cherry sauce I just looked on longingly with a cappucino. It was so fantastic and we both enjoyed it.
So wont eat any more today. Maybe cup of tea and chunk of cheddar if otherwise.

Yesterday was
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast, lots of butter and lots of tea.
Lunch: Mixed salad and rollitos.
Dinner: chicken breast roasted and brocolli (nothing like as tasty as todays version).
Just realised the irony of choosing of ordering chicken and brocolli again today at the restaurant.

I am longing for Chinese food which I havent eaten for at least 18 months so have bought tub of oriental stirfry veg to go with prawns tomorrow with ginger and soya sauce. Will also stir fry slivers of beef with mushrooms and oyster sauce to mix it up. Noodles for OH. I expect its the sauces that will be the carb danger zones. Any suggestions welcome.
Visit betterthanbread keto. His keto Asian dishes are really good.

Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Fell off the wagon for a few days. today was better, mostly

28/02
XBX level 16
breakfast: tea, 20g no grain granola, 30g nutty multigrain granola, 5 g mixed seeds( need to use the packet up0, 50ml milk
5 prunes. Off to parents. Mum has doctors and hospital appt today, need to be a bit early.
coffee.
back to parents for lunch provided by my brother: homemade roasted carrot and garlic soup, with homemade bread. Only had half a slice of bread , but two bowls of soup.
snack, slice of ham
dinner stirfry with noodles and prawns, berries and cream. two glasses of wine
Carbs messed up big time here. Way too many, best guess 150ish, and still not enough calories! Had two hunks of cheese, to make them up a bit. So stuffed.
BUT then, found a packet of salted caramel florentines and stupidly scoffed the whole 6 pack. Now wondering why? and worrying about effect on BG. esp as might be having another HbA1c soon.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@PenguinMum what a fabulous meal that was, and wonderful to share it with such a friend :)
Thanks for posting that, @Kingmidas!
@Emma_369 very happy you found yourself!!!
@ianpspurs -of the moment chef, sir, your meal is worthy of royalty just as it was! So sorry about Julie, too bad no power tools could improve matters...
@SlimLizzy Welcome to my “why??!?” wagon... for me, it’s stress pure and simple. My stress is mostly from being with my mother, which is a good thing of itself, and often enjoyable, but very challenging to my brain. I have to be “on” all the time. Things will improve for you!

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, one cherry tomato (it spoke to me when I reached in the frig!!), 2 sq 90% choc melted in mouth with decaf/soy/cream.
Lunch dregs of decaf, 3 cans seltzer (all spread out of course!), decaf black with Mom while watching flooded river and listening to her blessedly happy voice talking about her father and how much he loved water.
Supper, ahhh supper! Starters for fiber were spinach and celery. Made turkey chili wildly adapted from wholesomeyum, with a slow cooker method snagged from general internet- first time I have EVER slow-cooked anything off the stove. With my handy dandy little IP. And cheese “dumpling biscuits” wildly adapted from ibreatheimhungry. The chili is delicious. The biscuit things are very tasty but need work. I may try using the traditional biscuit method- cold butter cut in to dry ingredients, stirred with the liquid, omit egg, and patted out to cut with a glass or biscuit cutter.
The really fun part was having to lock the IP away in an office so the cats couldn’t get at it. Picture, if you will, an IP with an old Revere skillet lid on it, sitting on the office floor plugged into the computer power strip. With a very confused cat prowling out in the hallway trying to figure out why he can’t find that smell. Is it (closed) door #1? (Closed) door #2? Or the two open doors?
Goodnight all night-owls, and good morning others!
IMG_7687.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, one cherry tomato (it spoke to me when I reached in the frig!!), 2 sq 90% choc melted in mouth with decaf/soy/cream.
Lunch dregs of decaf, 3 cans seltzer (all spread out of course!), decaf black with Mom while watching flooded river and listening to her blessedly happy voice talking about her father and how much he loved water.
Supper, ahhh supper! Starters for fiber were spinach and celery. Made turkey chili wildly adapted from wholesomeyum, with a slow cooker method snagged from general internet- first time I have EVER slow-cooked anything off the stove. With my handy dandy little IP. And cheese “dumpling biscuits” wildly adapted from ibreatheimhungry. The chili is delicious. The biscuit things are very tasty but need work. I may try using the traditional biscuit method- cold butter cut in to dry ingredients, stirred with the liquid, omit egg, and patted out to cut with a glass or biscuit cutter.
The really fun part was having to lock the IP away in an office so the cats couldn’t get at it. Picture, if you will, an IP with an old Revere skillet lid on it, sitting on the office floor plugged into the computer power strip. With a very confused cat prowling out in the hallway trying to figure out why he can’t find that smell. Is it (closed) door #1? (Closed) door #2? Or the two open doors?
Goodnight all night-owls, and good morning others!View attachment 31561
That image looks like something I could really enjoy. Then I reflect and conclude too much I see and read on here delights me in the mind and the reality can't live up to expectations- whatever the imagination seizes as beauty must be truth. The lovely images you guys, and the recipe websites, post are a special circle of hell for me - so tantalising and yet .... I am beginning to wonder if I have a vital LC/Keto taste circuit missing.

Reactions: zauberflote

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodnight all night-owls, and good morning others!View attachment 31561

Excellent and looks very tasty.
I too use an upturned skillet as a lid on pans and other skillets - my slow cooker though is oval and I haven’t yet managed to break the glass lid.
Cherry tomatoes should be seen and not heard for health and safety reasons.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could someone tell me what the scientific purpose of cream cheese in LC pasty/dough is. This is not a dig I just want to figure out a way to swap it for something that will not produce the hideous chewy texture I ascribe to the cream cheese element?