Which infusion set?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you know, I'm eagerly awaiting my Veo. I've looked at the Medtronic set information, but I'm still not sure. Narrowed down to Quickset or Silhouette, the DSN says she has boxes of both in stock so I don't need to commit until the day I start.

I thought of starting with the Quickset and switching to Silhouette if the former didn't seem right. But now, I'm wondering whether to start with silhouette instead.

Silhouette seems to be aimed at very lean, very active people, whereas Quickset is recommended for 'average to heavier' build. I'm slim to average, and tend to do fast walking and swimming rather than contact sport, but I'm no couch potato. So I'm kind of in the middle. I have some 'padding' around my abdomen/belly but recent discussion about bending down causing kinking of the cannula made me wonder whether the Silhouette's 20-45 degree angle would be better for me than the 90 degree Quickset.

With the Silhouette, how easy is it to get a consistent insertion angle/depth? Does the introducer help with this, or is it purely down to 'feel'?

My DSN uses a Veo herself, not sure which set but she looks similar build to me, so I'll also discuss this with her too, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

meela83

I started with the quicksets but had issues with the inserter so have changed to the mio's. Haven't really had any problems apart from one dodgy batch! I am lean to average build and do lots of walking, cycling and running.

jopar

I don't use the mentronic sets as I have a roche Combo pump, so I can only answer purely based on angle or 90 degree sets...

I was politley discribed by my consultant as 'extemley slight slender build'! Yep I'm very skinny rake is the usual term for me :oops:

So I've used the angled sets from the begining which I self insert (no gizmo, should hear the twang of the Roche gizmo you'll would understand!) in over 3 years of pumping I've not had any problems with the tenderlink sets I use...

But if you'll not sure ask the nurse for some of each, then see what you feel about which suits you best

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
meela83 said:
I started with the quicksets but had issues with the inserter so have changed to the mio's. Haven't really had any problems apart from one dodgy batch! I am lean to average build and do lots of walking, cycling and running.

How is the Mio inserter different?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jopar,
You're not really a slightly tubby dancing penguin :?: :(

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi my son is very skinny and also very active with swimming and taekwondo once a week and football at least twice a week sometimes more and also a running club too, we have only ever used the quickset so cant comment on the other sets but hes had no trouble at all we have not had one bent cannula where ever we have put the set and find it so easy to insert too so i dont think size is a real issue as i would say he hasnt got any meat on him infact he almost looks like he has a six pack at the age of nine lol

hope u find the right set for u

anna marie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me personally I have found the stainless steel to be better....howver I have still had reactions to a couple of batches from them.....with teflon, I never experienced the stability that s.steel provide.

However I have never tried the ones that Jopar uses, as I just cannot face doing them. I do not personally belive that a machine inserted set is the best option.....with stainless steel I can feel immediately if they are inserted incorrectly (except for 1 box of sets)...and know that I can rely upon them 99.9 % of the time........saying that though I do change them every 24hour....not 48 hours....but I am currently monitoring this.......

meela83

The mio has its own individual inserter attached to the infusion set. It means that the set doesn't get squashed in the bottom of your handbag and the inserter never gets sticky! It is a very similar system but the mio inserter is not reusable. If you go on the medtronic website you can see a video of it being used. :wink:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the silhouettes and insert manually. I tried the inserter a couple of times and got very flustered and hated the anticipation of waiting for it to 'fire'. Might be better now, but I've got used to the other way, I feel I have more control inserting by hand and if I hit a spot that seems to have a nerve ending I can change my mind and move it a fraction.
I've got some padding but I do quite a lot of exercise, I just couldn't imagine the quickset staying in, but I haven't actually tried it. Occasionally I've had a very bent cannula, and that's caused a non delivery when I bolus,(I take to little insulin to cause a non delivery alarm between meals ), more frequently there is a small kink at the end but it doesn't seem to stop the delivery.
My biggest problem is that I sometimes get a reaction to the adhesive particularlyin the Summer, and more so if I use my stomach. (tried tegaderm underneath and that was worse).

becki

hi,

i also have only ever used the mio, i find that it looked much easier to carry a spare around than other inserters,

All i can say is which ever you choose the pump is fab I started in feb with a hba1c of 12.5, went down in april to 7.5 and i have just had results of blood tests today that I am now 6.5, absolutly amazed, my kids (8,3) could tell everyone how it works and the oldest can do my set change, the only downside for me is remembering to pick up the pump before i get out of bed!

Good luck with whichever you choose and remember, just because you pick one set it doesn't mean you can't change it if your not getting on with it!

liklejojo

Hi,

My advice would be to try both and see which you prefer in the end. I originally started out on the quicksets but found that they kept kinking and wouldn't insert - as i'm quite slim. I then moved onto the silhouettes but was put off with the length of the needle - to me it was huuuuuge! Both of these i used an inserter, however due to all the problems i've had i'm now on a paediatric set which leaves a needle in (6mm) I wasn't keen initially but now I like the fact that I know its 100% in and not kinking or occluding, only downside is I have to change it every 2 days instead of 3.

I think you'll know when you find the right one for you :) Hope this helps

Unicornz

LittleSue said:
As you know, I'm eagerly awaiting my Veo. I've looked at the Medtronic set information, but I'm still not sure. Narrowed down to Quickset or Silhouette, the DSN says she has boxes of both in stock so I don't need to commit until the day I start.

I thought of starting with the Quickset and switching to Silhouette if the former didn't seem right. But now, I'm wondering whether to start with silhouette instead.

Silhouette seems to be aimed at very lean, very active people, whereas Quickset is recommended for 'average to heavier' build. I'm slim to average, and tend to do fast walking and swimming rather than contact sport, but I'm no couch potato. So I'm kind of in the middle. I have some 'padding' around my abdomen/belly but recent discussion about bending down causing kinking of the cannula made me wonder whether the Silhouette's 20-45 degree angle would be better for me than the 90 degree Quickset.

With the Silhouette, how easy is it to get a consistent insertion angle/depth? Does the introducer help with this, or is it purely down to 'feel'?

My DSN uses a Veo herself, not sure which set but she looks similar build to me, so I'll also discuss this with her too, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Hi Sue

Purely speaking from personal experience here, but I started with the Quicksets when I got my pump in March and it didn't even take me a week to switch over to the Silhouettes. I had nothing but trouble with the Quicksets, the cannulas kept getting bent under my skin and didn't deliver insulin right and they hurt me quite badly even hours after having inserted them (I am quite lean).

Haven't had any of that since I started using the Silhouettes and they are very comfortable and don't hurt me at all! They are easy to insert, especially with the inserter (I don't have the guts to do it manually lol!) I've never done it wrong and I think it would be quite impossible if you use the inserter.

The one thing about the Silhouettes though is that because they go in at an angle, the needle that helps to insert it is longer than of the other sets! Don't let that scare you when you pull it out, I know it scared the living daylights out of me :lol:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all the replies. Meanwhile I've read more of 'Pumping Insulin' and but it seems 'very lean' means BMI 25 or less, ie normal weight, which certainly covers me. I am more inclined to start with the Silhouette, or maybe try both. Still waiting for my pump to arrive though.

I'm not scared of big needles - I remember the sharpened drainpipes of the '70s :lol:

meela83

Well my BMI is 21 and the mio works well on the little bit of 'squidge' I have on my belly! lol. I have tried a silhouette once and didn't like it but I think we all have different preferences. I would ask for samples of all the different ones and go from there. Good luck :)