Type 2 Is there a best time to test for Ketones?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently bought a meter as I’m doing Keto. Really just my curiosity of making sure in on track. What is the best time to test? Thanks.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I wish I knew! I generally test in the evening, after I've finished eating for the day. But I have never seen anything submitted about the 'best' time.
I hope someone can contribute a sensible, scientific reply.

Reactions: Flora123

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd tend to agree with Brian on this.

I use to test in the evening when I was initially using "wee strips" but when I got my Ketonix breathalyser I could and sometimes did do random tests before/after meals,but generally checked first thing in the morning when I did my "wake up" blood test, but they tended to be convenient rather than "best" times.

However, you may well get other indications too - e.g. ketone (acetone/pear drop flavour) breath, clear head - no more brain fog!!, weight loss, plenty of energy, lack of hunger .... If you go down to 20-25g carbs a day for two weeks (according to Atkins ) you should end up in ketosis anyway.. If not sooner! And you may also suffer a little from keto/Atkins/low carb "flu" (check Google!) for a short time while your body learns to (re)adapt to using fats rather than carbs for your main energy source. So learn to"listen" to your body. :D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grandson though not diabetic is following a keto diet he uses urine strips and tends to test mid day or evening.

Reactions: Flora123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As with all testing I’d suggest just being consistent so you can spot trends. I use a ketone meter and test once a week shortly after getting up.

M

Member496333

I test fasting, once per week on a Sunday morning. Just for curiosity’s sake more than anything - if I weren’t burning ketones for fuel I’d have died a long time ago :D

It’s also important to understand that you shouldn’t go chasing after bigger numbers. Measuring ketones only tells you that which your body currently isn’t using. As you become better adapted to burning fat as your primary metabolic pathway, your cells will become more efficient at using ketone bodies for fuel in lieu of glucose, and the numbers will often get lower when this happens. After a while, if ketones drop alongside glucose then that is optimal.

For reference I almost always test at ~3mmol

Reactions: Flora123 and Ponchu

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Anyone use GKI?
Yes, it's one of the measures I calculate, aiming for 1.8. Unfortunately, my ketones have been fairly low recently, about 1.0, probably because I am using all the ketones up for energy, especially when measured at the end of the day.

Reactions: Ponchu

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test fasting, once per week on a Sunday morning. Just for curiosity’s sake more than anything - if I weren’t burning ketones for fuel I’d have died a long time ago :D

It’s also important to understand that you shouldn’t go chasing after bigger numbers. Measuring ketones only tells you that which your body currently isn’t using. As you become better adapted to burning fat as your primary metabolic pathway, your cells will become more efficient at using ketone bodies for fuel in lieu of glucose, and the numbers will often get lower when this happens. After a while, if ketones drop alongside glucose then that is optimal.

For reference I almost always test at ~3mmol

Thanks Jim. I’m currently showing 0.7 but never seem to get beyond that despite being around 20g carbs pd. I’ve had less than that today but still showing 0.6.

Ponchu

Thanks Jim. I’m currently showing 0.7 but never seem to get beyond that despite being around 20g carbs pd. I’ve had less than that today but still showing 0.6.

Hashtag me too

With 20 grams of carbs daily or less, I can run from .3 to .8 routinely.

GKI can show “out of Ketosis” too. (Above 9)

Whole Foods; no hidden sugars.

This morning fasting 9.67 GKI with .05 with BG of 4.8

With mojo ketone meter, I’d prefer weekly testing but seller dates the strips to expire. I’m not likely to repurchase.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at my usual levels.. anywhere between 0.5 and 1.5 and those I've seen on this 70 hour fast it depends on eating..but my own experience then counter acts this as when I test in the morning I usually get lower numbers than in the evening..
I tend to test mid afternoon and got better numbers on my beef only OMAD regime than on anything else 2's rather than ones.. bt I was of course only eating in the evening so these numbers had included a longer than usual fasting period.
I'm not sure it really matters.. If you have ketones you are in ketosis so long as I see some then I'm happy. The less you eat the more they'll be around in the blood for fuel so I'm guessing that's why fasting makes them go up?
Not sure that helps much...!

Reactions: Ponchu and Flora123

Ponchu

It does & thank you

The two uses I would like is

1. Weekly testing (can’t due to time sensitive expensive strips)

2. Occasional concern (hopefully quite rare) eating something I shouldn’t have or something I was uncertain about.