Nutritional Ketosis

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I have been doing LCHF/Keto since early January and would be interested to know if I've reached ketosis. I eat between 20 and 30g of carbs a day. I am never hungry, I fast every day for at least 16/8 and have been going longer and longer without food - I now just eat an evening meal. I feel bright, energised and have lost my lethargy in the evenings. Would the strips give me a good idea of where I'm at, or should I buy a meter ( I'd only use on and off).
I'm just guessing I'd like to know as my weight loss is quite slow, and I read these amazing fast weight losses. I know everyone is different and I'm loosing and the bg levels are pretty level. I've had a few mid 4s when I'm fasting which is fab.
Thanks as always for any help.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I have been doing LCHF/Keto since early January and would be interested to know if I've reached ketosis. I eat between 20 and 30g of carbs a day. I am never hungry, I fast every day for at least 16/8 and have been going longer and longer without food - I now just eat an evening meal. I feel bright, energised and have lost my lethargy in the evenings. Would the strips give me a good idea of where I'm at, or should I buy a meter ( I'd only use on and off).
I'm just guessing I'd like to know as my weight loss is quite slow, and I read these amazing fast weight losses. I know everyone is different and I'm loosing and the bg levels are pretty level. I've had a few mid 4s when I'm fasting which is fab.
Thanks as always for any help.
I think @Goonergal and @bulkbiker can advise on meters for checking ketosis.

Reactions: AngiH
M

Member496333

You are definitely in ketosis. Certainly if your account is accurate, which I’m sure it is.

Pee strips are useless long term. I use an On Call GK Dual blood ketone meter which is great but the strips cost an arm and a leg. Way more expensive than glucose strips. Having said that, I only test once weekly, so it doesn’t really cost a lot in the grand scheme.

A blood meter is a handy tool but not essential.

Reactions: Ponchu

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Goonergal and @bulkbiker can advise on meters for checking ketosis.

Thanks @Pipp for the tag. I have 3 devices for checking ketones:

1) Caresens Dual from spirit Healthcare - got this when the meter was free. Ketone strips are pricey - about £1 each.

2) On call dual meter. Also got meter free thanks to a tip off from @bulkbiker when they were on offer. Strips much cheaper. https://www.valuemed.co.uk/products/on-call-gk-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter

3) A breathalyser https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Honor-Professional-Breathalyzer-Portable/dp/B07GGQK9HL

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ponchu and AngiH

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I use the care sens - yes it a quid a test but I just test once a week at the same time to see my progress. Find it helpful especially now I’m maintaining to check that all motoring along as I’d expect.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are definitely in ketosis. Certainly if your account is accurate, which I’m sure it is.

Pee strips are useless long term. I use an On Call GK Dual blood ketone meter which is great but the strips cost an arm and a leg. Way more expensive than glucose strips. Having said that, I only test once weekly, so it doesn’t really cost a lot in the grand scheme.

A blood meter is a handy tool but not essential.
Thank you, I do feel so different and better so I'm guessing I am in ketosis. Maybe I'll hold fire and trust in my body.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, maybe I'll continue trusting in my body and how I feel. I may splash out on a meter at a later date, but if everything is moving in the right direction I'll carry on as I'm going

Reactions: Ponchu

Ponchu

Stay in ketosis for health. Eventually you’ll lose weight. Some are rapid (me) while some are very slow (my son)

We both are now near optimal weight.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Once you have a slip carbs wise you will know. I had some pizza at my daughters birthday mid January. Maybe 100g of carbs in one meal. Not much for some but huge for me.

It was better part of a week before I felt right. Once you know the difference you don't really need strips.

Reactions: Ponchu and AngiH

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once you have a slip carbs wise you will know. I had some pizza at my daughters birthday mid January. Maybe 100g of carbs in one meal. Not much for some but huge for me.

It was better part of a week before I felt right. Once you know the difference you don't really need strips.

What were your symptoms if you don’t mind me asking.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
For me.

Going into.
Headache, increased peeing (smells funny) A naff taste that you cannot shift. Even with mints or mouthwash.

It only lasts a day or 2 now tops if I slip.
Initially the headache and funny taste was for the better part of a fortnight. Reducing gradually.

How I feel in keto is the thing. I'm like 2 different people. Real Clark Kent /superman difference. It makes the effort needed easy.

Reactions: Serena51 and AngiH

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
One thing does need saying.

For me keto is ace. My body Loves it. I genuinely feel like I have found some miracle cure.

The wife. Tried for over a month and she just could not get there. She needs some carbohydrate. Now with either (not both) some carbs with breakfast or evening (30~40g good slow burn carbs) meal she has started to feel better.
She really did look quite ill until I added more carb to her plate. Her job is physical with a lot of stairs and walking, ?.
This morning she mentioned having had a funny taste she cannot shift.

So....? Maybe start pulling those carbs back. She if she makes it

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me.

Going into.
Headache, increased peeing (smells funny) A naff taste that you cannot shift. Even with mints or mouthwash.

It only lasts a day or 2 now tops if I slip.
Initially the headache and funny taste was for the better part of a fortnight. Reducing gradually.

How I feel in keto is the thing. I'm like 2 different people. Real Clark Kent /superman difference. It makes the effort needed easy.
This was definitely me about 3 weeks into it, headache that wouldn't go, extra wee trips and that taste...I couldn't shift it. But that's all gone now and I stay within 30g of carbs, so technically I should be there..happy days.
Thank you

Ponchu

I so agree about “knowing.”

I wish I didn’t but the heavy price is likely something this stubborn “@&$)( needs.