More statin hilarity before shock and horror

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://healthinsightuk.org/2015/02/19/keep-statin-supremo-away-from-the-missing-side-effect-data/

Yes the stain researchers have never looked at side effects...

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 13.59.09.png

That's even after they filter out people who have side -effects in their trial "run in periods" which exclude those who get early side effects..

Edit to add just noticed that this is a fairly old article but I'd never come across it before...

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Despite it being old news, still, still every now again statins are touted as a panacea, to the point where it was considered put it in drinking water!!!!

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I notice when statins are prescribed that cholesterol levels are supposed to be monitored on starting these things. Maybe they are safe if the correct dosage is given but how many GP’s do a daily check on these things to ensure correct dosage.

This applies to an awful lot of other medicines such as metformin. They seem to be doled out like Smarties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Who to believe, my GP or some anonymous know all?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When the system is set up to prevent the reporting of side effects - who can blame people who are told that there are minimal reports of side effects?
I am still realising I have more songs to relearn after finding I could no longer remember them properly - I can remember the words because of their rhymes - just not which goes in which verse, and the order of the verses.....
Not good for a folk singer.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will never take them after seeing my dad deteriorate broke my heart and i can't forgive the doctors who talked him into them , they said he had Parkinson's and dementia but he passed all the dementia memory tests and also never had any shaking , i swear to god that it was the statins . He suffered so badly i am broken each time i mention it and i see him as a skeleton in his last days . Statins are evil .

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I will never take them after seeing my dad deteriorate broke my heart and i can't forgive the doctors who talked him into them , they said he had Parkinson's and dementia but he passed all the dementia memory tests and also never had any shaking , i swear to god that it was the statins . He suffered so badly i am broken each time i mention it and i see him as a skeleton in his last days . Statins are evil .
I would agree with that - I am seriously allergic to them! All the best.

Reactions: Freema

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
That’s a choice only you can make, but I certainly wouldn’t advise taking a GP’s word for it without further scrutiny.

This is the 21st century. We dont have to believe things as most times at least things can be verified

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That’s a choice only you can make, but I certainly wouldn’t advise taking a GP’s word for it without further scrutiny.

True, I've even been prescribed a drug I'm allergic to, hard to believe really, but if he'd looked at my notes and read them he'd of seen it is clearly noted I'm allergic to anything with cipro in it.

I was prescribed alendronate, told how great it was, never a word mentioned about side effects. Until I took one dose and my bg levels sky rockted to 17 each time I took it. That stuff went in the garbage real quick.

I've learnt to do my own research for this reason. Not that I don't trust doctors, but they make mistakes sometimes and it's not their health it impacts.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
True, I've even been prescribed a drug I'm allergic to, hard to believe really, but if he'd looked at my notes and read them he'd of seen it is clearly noted I'm allergic to anything with cipro in it.

I was prescribed alendronate, told how great it was, never a word mentioned about side effects. Until I took one dose and my bg levels sky rockted to 17 each time I took it. That stuff went in the garbage real quick.

I've learnt to do my own research for this reason. Not that I don't trust doctors, but they make mistakes sometimes and it's not their health it impacts.
It tough sometimes though, when you are at your weakest, ie sick and looking for help, you need to be at your strongest in checking things out. Congratulations on sorting out your meds !

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I now never take any medication without extensive research, which we can do easily nowadays. Many years ago whilst hospitalised and vulnerable I was bullied into taking an anti sickness drug for severe hyperemesis whilst pregnant. As I was in danger of losing my baby. Nobody believed me when I said my jaw muscles kept clenching. An hour later there was an emergency team with a crash trolley there. Yet that drug is routinely given to people after a general anaesthetic. You would have to tie me down to get a statin into me.