What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm like that with baking powder in my pre low-carb days I used to say I was able to tell how much baking powder scones had in as they made my teeth squeaky
In my pre low carb days Tia Maria used to hurt my front tooth. Didn't stop me drinking it though. It eventually required a root canal done which wasnt fun on a front tooth.
Maybe I should have heeded the warning the tooth nerve was giving me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Bit of catching up to do. Had a terrible night last night - cramps, followed by rapid exit of last night’s dinner and 2 episodes of almost passing out, and one of what felt like hypo symptoms but could have been anything. Emergency appointment at GP this morning and was sent for a raft of blood tests including an unexpected HbA1c. Blood pressure was ok both at home and in surgery so hopefully just a blip.

Yesterday’s food was a lunch of M&S rollitos followed by a slice of the keto chocolate cake and a small piece of the lemon cake made for colleagues and some extra thick double cream.

Dinner - out with footie team. A very mediocre meal of sea bass fillets with a rocket and Parmesan salad with mayonnaise. Reflecting back, maybe the fish was a bit off.

Today I had a German Lidl roll with butter and almond butter for lunch. Had one half to test the waters and followed up with the rest a bit later. Not such a good idea. Have just had 25g salted macadamia nuts in lieu of dinner and looking forward to a very early night.
Hope you're feeling loads better now. I had one of these totally exhausted days yesterday. Legs had been bothering me for 3 days and I wasnt sleeping well which was explained by last nights sore throat and sweats. Thankfully feeling OK now apart from a stuffy nose.
Hope your cramps have gone too. They are so disturbing to sleep. xx

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cooked chinese last night. Stir fried oriental veg added prawns and coconut and lemongrass sauce (3g/100) also stir fried slivers of steak and mushrooms added pyster sauce (more carby but not much quantity wise). BUT I fell prey to the noodles I cooked for OH because I had done too many and they were there. I think without the noodles it might have been ok for me. Live and learn.
Cooking chicken breast wrapped in streaky bacon accompanied by salsa verde, tenderstem brocolli and saute potatoes for my two fellow diners. Then tomo after breakfast I drive to Bath with my friend for 3 days so hope I can find suitable menus. Am meeting up with youngest son whonis at Uni there so there will be at least one Nandos which is fine.
@Goonergal sorry a out the sickness, sounds awful.
@shelley262 awful shock for your mum, hope she is ok.
@DJ 3 hope you soon feel better
Oomi noodles - I use them for myself for Chinese or Italian.
We were in Bath in October. Stayed at the Royal Hotel right across from the train station and I found their menus very adaptable for a low carb diet. They had me as soon as I spotted fried halloumi.
Apart from the hotel we ate in The Herd steakhouse and an excellent Italian Antica both of which were up around the Pultney bridge and absolutely no problem adapting meals. Got plenty of walking exercise too!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed on Thursday 6.9 and FBG 5.9 and the DP is settling again to a more acceptable 8.1. As I mentioned, I had one of these totally exhausted can't be bothered days. Wondered why I was really hungry by 6pm until Hubby pointed out I hadnt eaten anything. He even suggested going out but I couldn't be bothered doing that either. Going out on Sunday instead.
Still had to get through the day though. No 1 had a good morning at school and the bully is steering clear of him. However, discovered No 2 is being bullied yesterday but he is retaliating and getting into bother for it. Mum has taken up cudgels and let the deputy head see his legs - they are a mass of bruises from a little gang of 5 year old thugs. He's happily named the culprits but he's been hitting back but he's a bit outnumbered by 4 to 1. She told them to get it sorted and wants answers - what are the playground supervisors doing and if these little thugs continue then keep them in at break! Anyway, got them at lunchtime, brought them back for lunch then off to the library later to change the books.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Took a while to decide but ended up with 3 M&S 97% pork chipolatas, 3 rashers of crispy streaky bacon, fried egg, 4 santini tomatoes and a slice of Eifelbrot toasted. Later had raspberries and a scoop of halo top (throat was getting sore) and (I'm at it again @DJC3) 1/3 rd of a raspberry phd bar.
Went off to bed a few pints of water later with a sore throat , achy legs and generally washed out. Feeling much better this morning though.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@dunelm wow thanks for the bread link. I snagged three recipes. Hoping to find something Mr ZF would approve.
@PenguinMum safe travels and Have Fun!!
Awww @shelley262 that is even worse than I’d imagined...
@maglil55 hugs for your exhausted days - I know all too well how those feel :( Good for both boys, vanquishing and fighting back!! And very glad you’re getting to feel better. I hope you continue to improve!
I am loving the sun coming up substantially earlier now, and have been waking up more naturally, earlier and happier!! I HATE the fact that during the last administration we were inexplicably subjected to our Daylight Savings time now kicking in mid-March. I’d really rather that hour of light in the morning at this time of year!
My past two tries at no-lunch have been easier than when starting off. Yesterday I hardly noticed hunger :D The bg’s are responding in and on their own time, and maybe I’ll stick every hour one day to see what’s what. I do SO miss my almond butter tortilla just in general, though! Such a whiner is that ZF.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I have also sent the link to one of my sisters in Texas - she is always on the look out for ingredient substitutes and uses ground flax seeds instead of eggs.

Dunelm, call me a pedant, but your signature has a typo in it. I can be fairly confident of it, as the prospect of you weighing 9kg isn't too great?

OK, I'll peddle my pedantry elsewhere. :)

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1BF5BC02-CB03-4736-9F33-7DE358DE534A.jpeg

Today's experiment....LC lemon curd! What took me so long? I'm having to literally restrain Mr B from eating spoonfuls before it has cooled!

Edited to remove the enormous photo! It was massive!
Edited again to add link: https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/sugar-free-lemon-curd/

Last edited:

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi.... not been on this section before..
fbs at 0546 was 5.9
no breakfast
three cups of tea with milk
some pecan nuts at 1100
small battered cod and chips at 1300..(didnt test before eating )
1403 b,s was 9.2
1508 b,s was 9.6
1614 b.s was 6.4
will test again in an hours time
edit
at 1743 b.s was 6.0 .nearly back to twelve hours ago... too many chips me thinks ..dont happen very often
though..i had been to work and hungry...
edited to add
.and a 5.8 on today sunday at 0746

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Welcome @Diawara to this thread. Good to see you here.

Thanks @PenguinMum @DCUKMod @maglil55 @zauberflote @DJC3 @Brunneria @Emma_369 @BibaBee @ianpspurs for the good wishes. Am much, much better today after a good sleep and a comparatively restful day.

Another Nando’s/Bath fan here!

Today was another ‘almost OMAD’ day. Dessert was served about 2 hours before dinner and it’s a keeper as BG had gone down before dinner. Dessert was some M&S whipped creamy cheese mixed with double cream, a small amount of Lidl cocoa and a smaller amount (less than a teaspoon) of erythritol and whipped together in a bowl. HTS. Would also be nice with some chopped nuts added. Main course was roast shoulder of lamb, scored, salted and covered with garlic butter and rosemary.

@ianpspurs at least honours are even today!

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@BibaBee I am having to restrain my own self from licking my phone!!
Welcome @Diawara ! Make yourself to home here
@Goonergal I’m happy you’re much improved! That dessert sounds like creamy chocolate heaven. If you added some melted butter, the nuts, and made little balls of it rolled in cocoa, you’d have the truffle presentation!....and I can smell your lamb. My mom used to do it that way, about once a year, and the savory scent has stuck with me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6 FBG 6.4. BGs really not doing too much today. No longer washed out but the weather is horrible. It is chucking it down outside. Hubby at the football but Hibs currently 0 - 1 down to Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Out in this weather and getting beat? Not the best. @Goonergal/@ianpspurs - I did notice honours even with your two.
Niece is away to Mexico for 10 days. Left at 4am to catch London red eye. Never mind she can catch up on her sleep on the flight. So that's me in charge of the house again. Son as usual wanted a shopping trip so although Hubby suggested going out tomorrow, I took the precaution of buying something as there is no way I'm going out if the weather is anything like it is currently. Still in a "really cant be bothered" mode and there was even less reason to cook with Hubby at football at a weird time. 5.25pm?? Seriously??
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing out shopping with son so an unintentional OMAD day.
D. Slice each of roast pork leg and ox tongue, 1/2 avocado, 2 Tesco rollitos, 2 falafels and a spoonful of egg mayonnaise. I succumbed to 25g of Montezuma 's black forest chocolate but am resisting another 1/3rd of phd raspberry bar.
I may, however, have a few raspberries and the one spoonful of chia pudding which is left.
Lots of wheelie bin lids banging in the wind outside.

Kingmidas

Yesterday
... I decided on Faturday a day early so had Nandos for dinner - I try to stick to the least carby options but I really fancied a burger, so I had a sunset burger but only ate half the bun. Had macho peas and roasted veg with it so not the best for carbs, but much better then chips or rice. Thoroughly enjoyed it though!

Today
No breakfast, just tea.

Brunch - 90 second microwave bread, toasted, with bacon and chilli sauce.

Mid afternoon - made some almond mini cupcakes and to make them more bakewell like I put a whole defrosted cherry in each. Worked really well, but very rich. Ate 2 and that was enough until ...

Dinner
Chicken caesar salad followed by sf jelly
20190302_164022.jpg
IMG_20190302_120648_879.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Phew... I'm home after my anniversary 'mini break'. We stayed in a rented 'cottage' which, in reality was nothing like a cottage but was a quite small two bedroom bungalow which accepted dogs - ive got three - so i had a few wakeful nights listening to my dogs snoring, making funny noises during their dreams and f**ting - something I can't hear at home.

Food has been lovely (most meals eaten out) and generally low carb. I cant remember most if it but today was...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, black coffee

Lunch: Cheese salad, bottle of water

DInner: Yet another carvery meal - roast beef (lots), Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese (very little sauce), few bits of carrots, few peas, gravy, glass wine

Dessert (at hime): cheese that needed eating before my fast starts tomorrow morning, glass wine

Lots and lots of water

I've just started a new fasting thread if anyone likes the idea of joining in.

@Goonergal - I'm so glad you're feeling better. *hug* What do you think caused it?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/diabetes-diet-how-two-people-14077222
Someone asked me to let them know on this thread when my story in magazine simply you appeared still waiting for that one but meanwhile Sunday mirror interviewed me a few days ago and it’s in paper tomorrow there are some inaccuracies especially dates etc but it’s broadly correct and hope gets message across to others about this forum and way of eating talking of which today I was back to three meals after slow introduction of food after fast
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch sardines and four lc seeded crispbreads
Dinnernuts while cooking, chicken curry served on cauli rice and mushrooms followed by choc chia pudding and double cream plus four hc 100% choc buttons also had a gin and soda water and just sipping coffee decaf and cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phew... I'm home after my anniversary 'mini break'. We stayed in a rented 'cottage' which, in reality was nothing like a cottage but was a quite small two bedroom bungalow which accepted dogs - ive got three - so i had a few wakeful nights listening to my dogs snoring, making funny noises during their dreams and f**ting - something I can't hear at home.

Food has been lovely (most meals eaten out) and generally low carb. I cant remember most if it but today was...

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, black coffee

Lunch: Cheese salad, bottle of water

DInner: Yet another carvery meal - roast beef (lots), Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower cheese (very little sauce), few bits of carrots, few peas, gravy, glass wine

Dessert (at hime): cheese that needed eating before my fast starts tomorrow morning, glass wine

Lots and lots of water

I've just started a new fasting thread if anyone likes the idea of joining in.

@Goonergal - I'm so glad you're feeling better. *hug* What do you think caused it?
Hope you had a lovely time x

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
... I decided on Faturday a day early so had Nandos for dinner - I try to stick to the least carby options but I really fancied a burger, so I had a sunset burger but only ate half the bun. Had macho peas and roasted veg with it so not the best for carbs, but much better then chips or rice. Thoroughly enjoyed it though!

Today
No breakfast, just tea.

Brunch - 90 second microwave bread, toasted, with bacon and chilli sauce.

Mid afternoon - made some almond mini cupcakes and to make them more bakewell like I put a whole defrosted cherry in each. Worked really well, but very rich. Ate 2 and that was enough until ...

Dinner
Chicken caesar salad followed by sf jelly
View attachment 31587View attachment 31588
Like the look of the mini cupcakes. Would love one of them while feeling very inadequate watching Child Genius.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not sure. Thinking it’s a combination of something in Thursday night’s meal and dehydration. Although the dehydration bit is a mystery as I drank shedloads of water on Thursday evening, but maybe the thirst was signalling the dehydration. Quite often forget to drink when at work. I hope it is that and that the blood tests don’t show anything more sinister.

Hope you had a good time away and good luck with the fast. I’ll plan to join in at some point - won’t be tomorrow or Monday, but will aim for Tues/Weds.