EU or not??

trand

I have questioned myself and asked around and still can not get an answer, are we as in the UK part of the EU? if so why do we not have the euro? taxes on fags and drink are roughly the same across europe, yet ours are sky high, if we are part of the EU, and goverened by Brussels then why is our goverment telling us what to do?, why do I have to show/carry my passport in EU countrys, do EU members, ie; polish , french, etc have to carry thier passports while here?, why do I need to go through passport control to go on the ferry to france, but can drive right across to say Turkey and will not have pass through any border controls? :roll:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We still have National laws and tax rates.
Not so long ago in the UK you had a 15% VAT rate where the one here in France was 19.5%. You pay zero VAT on food I pay 5%. You pay no VAT on books, I have to pay full VAT, even on books bought through Amazon UK.
Lots of people here go over the border to Spain to buy cheaper cigarettes and alcohol.
Everyone here in France is supposed to carry identity cards, Britain doesn't have identity cards so a passport is necessary. I admit the only time I've ever been asked for identity is when we have been stopped in the car on a random check.
The reason for the lack of border controls within mainland Europe is the Schengen agreement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement which the UK and Ireland have opted out of. All new countries in the EU are automatically included in the agreement.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
And we don't have the Euro because Gordon Brown, when Chancellor of the Exchequer, decided we weren't ready to join - possibly just as well!

Viv

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
when Chancellor of the Exchequer, decided we weren't ready to join - possibly just as well!

It does look like a good call now!

Nigel

raydavies

Apart from any other aspects, joining the Euro puts our monetary policy in the hands of the Central European Bank. The problem there is you finish up with "one size fits all" monetary policy and interest rates.

Look at the stupid situation now where a vibrant economy like Germany's is locked in to the same policy that's applied to Greece and Ireland!

Ray