Struggling With Highs In Early Pregnancy

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @FingersCrossed so glad everything went well with your scan! With regards to the app - when you apply a new sensor, first scan it with your freestyle libre scanner, then within the hour waiting period, scan the sensor with your phone. Then they are both set up and ready to use in an hour. Unfortunately once the libre is set up you can’t add another device xx

FingersCrossed

Hi @myarnton1 - thanks for your kind words and for the advice. So am I right in thinking, when I apply my new sensor in a week and a bit, I can use the app, but I have to first use scanner then scan app afterwards but within first hour? Or because I didn't use the app the very first time, does that mean I can't use it at all? I feel a bit like a machine at the moment with my insulin pump and the Libre, ha ha.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@FingersCrossed yes that’s right - you can just set it up the next time you put a new set on!:D Just remember that the phone and meter do not show each others readings (if that makes sense). So if you scan using your phone it won’t show up on your meter and vice versa and to ensure the meter shows the whole days readings you have to scan once every 8 hours I believe. I’m sure someone else on here can explain it better than I can, I’ve only had mine a month so far. Sorry if I’m just talking gibberish I’m explaining the best I can:hilarious: xx

FingersCrossed

Hi there, I haven't been on the forum for a while. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant and have a section booked in for 11th Feb. Eek - worried, excited, overwhelmed. I've been looking at others' posts about induction versus section, and as I'd had a section with my now-five year old, and was told my chance of induction working with one pessary was less than 30 percent, I have opted for a c-section. I had a bad experience with a painful spinal with my son, so I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to make this any better? Dreading that bit.

Since my early highs with my sugar levels, I've managed to stabilise things and thanks to my pump and the Libre, my latest hba1c was 48, so I'm just providing an update in case anyone else is struggling in the beginning and wanted to know how others progressed through their pregnancies.

Thanks.

FingersCrossed

I always like finished-off threads for future readers, so just to say, I had a lovely little girl on Monday, Jasmine Florence, 8.7lbs, via planned c-section. It's been a roller coaster of emotions and changing insulin requirements, but I'm so pleased she's here safe. Thanks for everyone's support and replies. It helped a lot.

Reactions: mf

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Very Well Done @FingersCrossed. You can uncross your fingers now if you wish !!
Enjoy you baby and time with her. I bet she is the apple of her father's eye also !!:):):)
Make sure he learns how to change nappies, too!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks @kitedoc - yes, it's a big sigh of relief. Ha ha, he's changing one as I type. Thanks for your support. Take care.
Good to hear @FingersCrossed. You could develop a strange malady where you become incapable of changing nappies between 6 pm and 6 am ??!! Best Wishes and please sleep when you are able.
I assume you are advised to continue the pregnancy vitamins and minerals ?

FingersCrossed

Ha ha. Like your thinking.

No one recommended it, but I'm still taking them, yeah. Especially as I'm just not hungry due to having loads of hypos, so trying to have salads and healthy stuff when I can stomach it.

The hypos I'm having this week during the night are plentiful. I'm slashing my basal rates every morning following a gazillion hypos, but b-feeding is obviously having a big affect. It's all manageable, but I'm sick of drinking orange juice. All for a great cause though.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ha ha. Like your thinking.

No one recommended it, but I'm still taking them, yeah. Especially as I'm just not hungry due to having loads of hypos, so trying to have salads and healthy stuff when I can stomach it.

The hypos I'm having this week during the night are plentiful. I'm slashing my basal rates every morning following a gazillion hypos, but b-feeding is obviously having a big affect. It's all manageable, but I'm sick of drinking orange juice. All for a great cause though.
IMG_4199.jpg

Reactions: FingersCrossed
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I always like finished-off threads for future readers, so just to say, I had a lovely little girl on Monday, Jasmine Florence, 8.7lbs, via planned c-section. It's been a roller coaster of emotions and changing insulin requirements, but I'm so pleased she's here safe. Thanks for everyone's support and replies. It helped a lot.

Congratulations, I am so pleased to read your good news. Enjoy every minute of baby Jasmine growing up and take care of yourself x
ps my granddaughter is 8 months old and adorable.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say thanks to @FingersCrossed for posting your story and providing updates. I’m 8 weeks pregnant today and been having a total rollercoaster of hypos and massive spikes just like you did, and I’ve been so worried about this baby as I know control in the early days is most important in terms of birth defects etc. I know every pregnancy is different and there are no guarantees, but reading what you posted and seeing you ended up with a healthy baby at the end of it reassures me that all is not yet lost!

FingersCrossed

Hi @ArtemisBow, congrats on your pregnancy. I'm glad I've offered some reassurance. It's a stressful time anyway being pregnant, but diabetes takes the worry to a whole new level as often it's nothing to do with what you're doing or eating that sends you high or low, more to do with hormones and the changing needs of your growing baby. Try not to beat yourself up too much, all you can do is your best and there are lots of success stories out there. I certainly had a good few highs and lows, despite testing up to 15 times a day with the Libre. If you can get funding for it, I'd totally recommended it as I managed to catch lots of highs when, say for example I got a reading of 8 but seen the arrow pointing upwards (indicating my bg levels were quickly on the up, so I could correct before I got too high). It was a game changer. My advice is to test lots and make changes when you spot trends over a couple of days. I was forever increasing my basal amounts and carb ratios. Now I'm breastfeeding every hour or two, it's the opposite, I'm low all the time and reducing my basal rates. Anyway, best of luck. It's tough and you're not alone in how you're feeling. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow which I’m hoping will help reassure a bit, and I self fund a libre (don’t do it all the time but we did during pregnancy 1 and will for this one too) - as you say it’s a massive help to see the trend and head it off early, but sometimes it just sky rockets faster than I can dose for. Don’t think I can really do any more though, as you say it seems to be totally random :/

FingersCrossed

I hope your midwife appointment went well and fingers crossed for you too. This time last year I would have never believed I would have a perfect little girl a year later, but it happened, and I'm so lucky and grateful. She's 3.5 weeks old and utterly gorgeous. My 5 year old boy is totally amazing too. Sometimes I have to pinch myself as I never thought it'd happen once, then after my miscarriage last April, I certainly didn't think it'd happen again, so take some reassurance it can happen and diabetes certainly is a pain during pregnancy, but good results can happen. Hoping your pregnancy progresses well. It's a roller coaster - hang in there.