Insulin Shortages Advice Needed!

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Recently, in the last couple of weeks, I have been unable to get medicines from several pharmacies.
Last week I visited 7 different pharmacies in different areas and am still waiting to see if the items can be supplied from different pharmacies. Some medicines seem to be running out completely and no one in parliament seams to be aware of this?
These medicines are for a person I care for and myself and include epilepsy tablets, pred forte eye drops, HRT and Citalopram.
What do we do if our specific type of insulin can no longer be supplied due to our current political situation?
Can anyone advise?

D

Deleted member 308541

What do we do if our specific type of insulin can no longer be supplied due to our current political situation?
Get onto your GP and complain to him / her about not getting your prescribed medication from any pharmacies. Do not sound off to the receptionist as they do not give a daffy and is a waste of your time.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Some pharmacies don’t stock all drugs. My closest pharmacy (that is in my building) does not stock insulin, they will only order it in after I have paid (I’m in Australia) and you will have to wait a week or 2 and I use Novo Rapid which is a common insulin. I have noticed that is becoming common amongst the pharmacies. I suspect they process the sale as they print out the labels they must affix to the packaging.

Pump supplies take over a month and then my (ex) local pharmacy would then either have resold, or put it on the shelf for sale.
I have noticed pharmacies are starting to put these storage / dispensing machines in, so there is only a set number of drugs they can stock.
In Australia we have Chemists with the pharmacy component right at the back and you have to fight through hair care, perfume, plastic kids toys etc. I have even seen a Chemist recently that has dropped the pharmacy all together.

D

Deleted member 308541

In Australia we have Chemists with the pharmacy component right at the back and you have to fight through hair care, perfume, plastic kids toys etc.
Sounds a bit like where I go to with out the kids toys, all the otc medications / vitamins are up at the back of the shop to make it easier to get at. The pharmacy section had three pharmacists plus the trainees working on selecting the drugs etc. Three or four girls serving so a fast turnaround if you have ordered scripts early.

I get my scripts home delivered now as it is a lot easier for me saves hobbling around with a crook knee.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds a bit like where I go to with out the kids toys, all the otc medications / vitamins are up at the back of the shop to make it easier to get at. The pharmacy section had three pharmacists plus the trainees working on selecting the drugs etc. Three or four girls serving so a fast turnaround if you have ordered scripts early.

I get my scripts home delivered now as it is a lot easier for me saves hobbling around with a crook knee.

One of the great things about being designated as rural is the local GP also has a pharmacy, so everything gets done in one place. Ok, you queue for prescriptions in the same queue as for other surgery admin stuff, but we're not living the stressed city lifestyle here :)

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Thanks for your comments. Will be speaking to GP in a couple of days. :cool: