scared

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi i was diagnosed 14 feb by my Dr with a hba1c of 51 my dr is nice and was supportive ive been on a low carb diet still on it lost 11lbs in a month but today i went to see nurse she scared me oh bloods for cholesterol kidney function said my blood pressure was high i was terrified she was quite negative ive been walking much more and five times a week why is my bp high heart rate was great 72 please can someone advise

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi i was diagnosed 14 feb by my Dr with a hba1c of 51 my dr is nice and was supportive ive been on a low carb diet still on it lost 11lbs in a month but today i went to see nurse she scared me oh bloods for cholesterol kidney function said my blood pressure was high i was terrified she was quite negative ive been walking much more and five times a week why is my bp high heart rate was great 72 please can someone advise
Your blood pressure was probably high because you were scared and visiting the doctor.. lots of people suffer from it it even has a name "White Coat Syndrome" . You may find that the surgery will offer you a 24 hour monitoring device to see how "high" or not it is when you are relaxed at home. If you have been stressed by your diagnosis and having blood tests then of course your blood pressure will be raised. Disappointing that the nurse didn't mention this..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blood tests for cholesterol and kidney function are perfectly normal for anyone with T2 so don't worry about those they'll just be establishing where you are at the start.

camparisoda

Hi! First - don’t worry about being anxious. You’re still at the beginning of your journey with diabetes. I’ve had type 1 for almost 11 years now and I feel as though I’m still getting used to things!

Well done on the weight loss. Kidney function and cholesterol are part of the regular blood tests for diabetes - don’t worry!

As someone else has suggested, the high heart rate and B/P can be down to anxiety about seeing the nurse. You can pick up a good blood pressure monitor in Argos pretty cheaply, and it might be worth keeping a log for a week or two of your readings at home, which will more accurately reflect your blood pressure when you’re not stressed out seeing a heath professional.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the nurse check your BP with an automatic machine? Mine's always high on them, but done the "old fashioned" way with a Sphygmomanometer and stethoscope, it's spot on

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks so much i have a bp monitor at home so she told me to monitor it for a week ive been doing it and already the reading is 115/82 which is better than 145/96 it was there **** scary thanks for the heads up about the tests this website is so good for people like me who have really bad health anxiety and type 2 thank you for all your kindness feeling calmer

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else. Very good advice given. Welcome to the forum.

One point. Your profile setting says you are pre-diabetic but your HbA1c implies you are diabetic, presumably Type 2. If indeed you are T2 it would help with any replies to future posts if you change your diabetes status. You can do this in your profile settings.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks so much i have a bp monitor at home so she told me to monitor it for a week ive been doing it and already the reading is 115/82 which is better than 145/96 it was there **** scary thanks for the heads up about the tests this website is so good for people like me who have really bad health anxiety and type 2 thank you for all your kindness feeling calmer
That's why we all spend so much time here.. your home monitor sounds great.. record all the readings and take them back.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ive tried to alter my status to type 2 hope it does it

No. It is still showing prediabetes under your avatar. Go to the top of the page and hover over your user name (top right). Press personal details. Scroll down to Type of diabetes and change it in there.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are blood pressure apps that you can record your results on to show the nurse.