Blood sugar reading different on each finger?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I ha e been testing my blood sugar after every meal (1, 2 and 3hrs)

I just checked for the 2 hrs post meal and said 6.9, and I thought I’d that low or not for after a meal, so I did another test on different finger and it said 7.9. So then I checked 2 more times on different fingers and got a 6.9 and a 7?....what does this mean? I don’t know what is accurate or not....are we supposed to use different fingers when checking?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
so I ha e been testing my blood sugar after every meal (1, 2 and 3hrs)

I just checked for the 2 hrs post meal and said 6.9, and I thought I’d that low or not for after a meal, so I did another test on different finger and it said 7.9. So then I checked 2 more times on different fingers and got a 6.9 and a 7?....what does this mean? I don’t know what is accurate or not....are we supposed to use different fingers when checking?
I know, it's mind boggling, isn't it? I think most of us, if not all, have tried the same, and I bet you that if I went on a testing spree right now, I'd get different numbers too.
In other words, I don't have an explanation for you, just a shared experience. I hope someone else have some words of wisdom to spare, assuming that there are no visible or invisible food residues on your fingers, jam on one, nothing on the next, honey on the 3rd etc. etc. ;)

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Readings are never 100% accurate and there is a margin of error, so you may get a few different numbers even from the same blood drop! Always make sure your hands are clean before testing. As far as I'm aware using all fingers is fine and even recommended as repeated pricks to one finger can give a lot of bruising and pain. I use all my fingers! Given that you got three readings of 6.9/7.0, I would just take that as your reading. The 7.9 definitely seems to be the odd one out there.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All meters can be plus or minus 15% away from a true reading, 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time they can be miles out.

Looking at your 4 results I would go with either the 6.9 or the 7 and put the 7.9 down to meter or strip error. We all get rogue readings from time to time.