9.2 fasting bloods

Kazza01

Hi
I’m new to this site. I was wondering if i need to see my GP? I was having a hospital procedure last week and had to be nil by mouth (overnight, 16 hours) Before the procedure i said i didn’t feel to good and the did a blood test with a finger prick monitor and it said 9.2 is this high? i was advised to see my GP

thanks

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Ping @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

9.1 is a bit higher than most would like, and seeing your GP sounds sensible.

We don't know anything about you, though, what medications you are on and what blood test results you have had in the past.

We don't know what you are eating, and how much.
Other medical conditions?
Fitness and weight?

We can't diagnose, but with more information we can chat about your concerns.

Kazza01

Hi
Well i do have other medical conditions: Epilepsy and under active thyroid both which i’m on medication.
My last blood sugar bloods were done at my gp about a 18 months ago and the said they were fine but my cholesterol was raised to 7.0
i’ve recently lost 2 stone in weight on the keto diet and currently weigh 13 stone. I’ve got a BS monitor at home that i have used the past couple of mornings on waking and it has read 6.9 and 6.8 fasting.
Hope this info helps

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So you have no diabetes diagnosis?

Readings taken on waking can be very variable and unreliable. The one in your hospital before your procedure could well have been elevated because of the stress and anxiety you were very likely experiencing. However, with the ones you took at home, they are a bit high for a non-diabetic. I would advise you to see your GP.

By the way, you may learn on this forum that it is not a good idea to accept the words "fine" or "OK" or similar. That is one person's opinion and you have no idea how close you are to not being fine. The advice is to always ask for a print out of your blood test results. If you are in England your surgery probably puts test results on-line so you can ask if they do and how to register for this service.

Kazza01

No i have just come back from my gp this afternoon and been booked in for a Hbc1? tomorrow so will know the results in a couple of days. Every other time i have had bloods done they always say they are fine and no further action is needed but this time i’m going to ask for a print out of the results.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let us know how you go on, and if there is anything on the print out you don't understand all you have to do is ask on here. Good luck. :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kazz01
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Kazza01

Morning All
I’ve just done a waking BS test and it’s higher today at 7.1
The Gp yesterday said that anything up to 7.0 is normal but i thought that was for diabetics not normal people??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
I’ve just done a waking BS test and it’s higher today at 7.1
The Gp yesterday said that anything up to 7.0 is normal but i thought that was for diabetics not normal people??

A fasting test of 7 or over is an indicator that diabetes may be present. If done in the doctor's surgery, it would be followed by an HbA1c for a more accurate diagnosis. Below 5.5 is considered normal. 5.5 to 6.9 is considered pre-diabetic.

Kazza01

A fasting test of 7 or over is an indicator that diabetes may be present. If done in the doctor's surgery, it would be followed by an HbA1c for a more accurate diagnosis. Below 5.5 is considered normal. 5.5 to 6.9 is considered pre-diabetic.

yes this is what i thought. I am having a Hba1c test tomorrow so will get the results in a few days. I was confused that he said anything up to 7 was normal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes this is what i thought. I am having a Hba1c test tomorrow so will get the results in a few days. I was confused that he said anything up to 7 was normal?

Well he was right in that it isn't classed as diabetic. :banghead:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so what is classed as diabetic then?
Also i’m still non diabetic? i’m confused ‍♀️ lol

Only the HbA1c can class you as diabetic (Or the OGTT that some surgeries do). A finger prick test on its own is not reliable enough. You will have to be patient and wait for your results and then you will know for sure. Let us know what the result is.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am really interested in following this thread. My fasting BS is usually 6.9 at the moment - my last HbA1c was 43 - not quite bad enough to be called a diabetic!!

Kazza01

Only the HbA1c can class you as diabetic (Or the OGTT that some surgeries do). A finger prick test on its own is not reliable enough. You will have to be patient and wait for your results and then you will know for sure. Let us know what the result is.
Sorry to be a pain but why does everyone including hospitals use the finger prick tests if they are not reliable and could be giving false readings? i’m very confused?

M

Member496333

I believe it’s not helpful to focus solely on the arbitrary labels and HbA1c averages that define them. In my view, fasting glucose tests of 6+ (assuming accuracy and repeatability) are an indicator that the subject is reasonably high in the spectrum of insulin resistance and needs to take evasive action as a matter of priority.

Kazza01

I believe it’s not helpful to focus solely on the arbitrary labels and HbA1c averages that define them. In my view, fasting glucose tests of 6+ (assuming accuracy and repeatability) are an indicator that the subject is reasonably high in the spectrum of insulin resistance and needs to take evasive action as a matter of priority.
When you say action do you mean go to the GP? As i’ve just had a HbA1c test this morning and will get the results in a couple of days. I was just wondering as for the last couple of days my finger prick fasting has been 7.1

M

Member496333

When you say action do you mean go to the GP? As i’ve just had a HbA1c test this morning and will get the results in a couple of days. I was just wondering as for the last couple of days my finger prick fasting has been 7.1

I just mean it’s probably time to start thinking about lifestyle and dietary changes. Assuming reasonably accurate and repeated elevated fasting tests, there’s little doubt that one is on a higher rung of the insulin resistance ladder, irrespective of an arbitrary label as defined by the HbA1c. A1c is of course a powerful tool, but it doesn’t say much about individual hyperglycaemic events, and says nothing about inuslin levels.

I don’t mean to unnecessarily complicate the topic - I was responding mainly to the discussion surrounding HbA1c, prediabetes and diabetes. It’s all metablic dysfunction, regardless of numbers and names. Therefore a change of habits is likely on the horizon, so it can’t hurt to be mentally prepared and armed with knowledge :)

Kazza01

I just mean it’s probably time to start thinking about lifestyle and dietary changes. Assuming reasonably accurate and repeated elevated fasting tests, there’s little doubt that one is on a higher rung of the insulin resistance ladder, irrespective of an arbitrary label as defined by the HbA1c. A1c is of course a powerful tool, but it doesn’t say much about individual hyperglycaemic events, and says nothing about inuslin levels.

I don’t mean to unnecessarily complicate the topic - I was responding mainly to the discussion surrounding HbA1c, prediabetes and diabetes. It’s all metablic dysfunction, regardless of numbers and names. Therefore a change of habits is likely on the horizon, so it can’t hurt to be mentally prepared and armed with knowledge :)
Unfortunately my worry is i have been LCHF for the past year and have lost 2 stone in weight which i think is good? However not been feeling to good and recent finger fasting results have been raised 7.1 and one day 9.2