HbA1c - 6.5

Jaz006

Finally got around to having my 3 month blood test after being diagnosed in June. Very late I know. Was dreading it because I made sure I enjoyed Christmas lol. Anyway the gp surgery rang to say they were very pleased with the reduced level and i dont need to come in to discuss going on meds or anything, I am just to attend annual review in June. Yippee. Can't remember what original test was without looking but from memory I think it was 7.5 or 7.6.

Thank goodness I didn't follow the Gp's advise of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes otherwise I think she would have been calling me in to whack me on the meds that i originally refused.

So am I still diabetic or prediabetic now? My aim to to see how low I can go lol.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your reduction in HbA1c so far achieved. Keep up the good work and without Xmas, (be good over Easter ;)) you should get down into the pre diabetic or non diabetic range. 6.5% keeps you just at the very bottom of diabetic. Here’s the parameters:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your reduction. That is brilliant, and I hope you can keep it up. Sadly, you are still regarded as diabetic. Full remission takes a lot longer than this - several HbA1c results in the non-diabetic range without meds are needed. Even then, it is unlikely you will be able to eat those carbs again, on a regular basis.

Your last HbA1c puts you on the borderline between pre-diabetic and diabetic.

Reactions: Rosie B

Jaz006

Thanks guys. I really feel I can kick this thing. I've not gone crazy (Like some on here) I've just brought a few books, taken advice from this site and simply made a life style change rather than gone on a diet. I can't do diets.:banghead:

I miss potatoes, but eat sweet potatoes instead. I miss chips, crisps and milk chocolate. But I now love dark chocolate... occasionally. I now eat cheese and red pepper slices as snacks. I eat salads and seem to love them. I miss pies and jacket potatoes, but I now love eggs and all the wonderful things you can make with them.

I have decided to be mature and by-pass Easter. Looking after my health is my Easter present to myself... along with some new clothes for my new slimmer self... instead of having chocolate. :happy:

Reactions: gemma_T1

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got around to having my 3 month blood test after being diagnosed in June. Very late I know. Was dreading it because I made sure I enjoyed Christmas lol. Anyway the gp surgery rang to say they were very pleased with the reduced level and i dont need to come in to discuss going on meds or anything, I am just to attend annual review in June. Yippee. Can't remember what original test was without looking but from memory I think it was 7.5 or 7.6.

Thank goodness I didn't follow the Gp's advise of bread, pasta, rice and potatoes otherwise I think she would have been calling me in to whack me on the meds that i originally refused.

So am I still diabetic or prediabetic now? My aim to to see how low I can go lol.
I put back my HbA1c test by just a few weeks to try and dilute the Christmas effect and got a bit of reprimand for that. Anyhow great news.

Jaz006

Thanks Listlad. If I am honest..... it took me so long to go back because at age 45... I felt scared to go back because I really didn't want to have to go on medication. As i get older health conditions scare me s* less.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Listlad. If I am honest..... it took me so long to go back because at age 45... I felt scared to go back because I really didn't want to have to go on medication. As i get older health conditions scare me s* less.
When it came to the crunch I was not sure which way my recent result would go and it was a relief that it dropped in the right direction. I count myself lucky that I discovered a way forward through restricting my carb intake as back in January I was totally confused on diet and diabetes. I was getting worried about my feet and legs but there have been significant gains there since I changed my diet.