Type 3c And Alcohol

The_Petal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to hear contradictory messages about alcohol.

From the point of view of the diabetes it would seem that having a drink is not a problem as regards to my blood sugar, however I have heard that people without a pancreas should avoid alcohol because of digestive issues. Which is true.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @The_Petal

I don’t have a definitive answer for you. My consultant told me not to drink alcohol to protect what’s left of my pancreas as it could bring on another acute pancreatitis attack (and the last one almost killed me).

Reactions: SimonCrox

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Reactions: SimonCrox

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I thought that 3cs had issues with glucagon production (by the pancreas), which means you lose the liver back up glycogen for low blood sugars. The biggest reason for caution in alcohol consumption for T1s is that it inhibits the liver's production of glycogen, so you're at much greater risk of dying of a hypo in the night if you've been drinking. I guess this isn't a valid reason for 3cs because you're already not getting hypo help from your liver???
Very happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong. :)

Phil007007

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not drink alcohol but if you do red wine is better than beer, I have type3c because my pancreas has atrophied.

The_Petal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had me 10th, of 12, session of Folfirinox postponed because my neutrophiles are too low.

Annoying as I feel really good.

As my iron levels had been low I having been having a small Guinness at night ~ could that be dragging the neutophiles down?
It's always confusing because the dietitian/diabetic nurse/Oncologist all seem to see the problem from slightly different perspectives and offer sometimes contradictory advice.