Prediabetes Any Thoughts

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi

I was totally by accident identified as prediabetic some 2 years ago which was a massive shock (routine blood test for insurance policy) i immediately bought a meter as i believe if you don't measure it you cant manage it, read everything i could, increased my exercise and went on a low carb diet.

Bloods fell Hba1c from 47 to 45, then 40 over 3 x 3 month tests, been stable since and go back once a year but what really is getting to me is in the morning my fasting blood test is almost (occasionally normal) always high 6.4 - 6.8 regardless of what i eat. Yesterday i had sub 50g of carbs but today same levels, during the day they are fine, post meal spot on so i just dont get it, i have heard of the dawn phenomena but i thought that applied to diabetics (i suppose my glucose tolerance isn't all that) ive tried not eating after 7, tried some cheese before bed, nuts, water but nothing makes the difference.

What sticks in mind is the temporary high level causing any damage or health issues that i am unaware of... your knowledgeable thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
6.8 is by no means disastrous if you consider your liver.
It will give you a shot of glucose to get you out of bed. That is dawn phenomenon
Test the very second you wake up then test every hour for a couple of hours and you likely will see the increace. Even judge how much to ease your worries.
It's something that is totally unique to you and can take weeks, months or never to reduce.

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fasting levels are the trickiest and last levels to fall for most people. Oftentimes it is just a matter ot time and patience. Your liver needs time to relearn what your body's needs are. The other thing to consider is the quality of sleep which can affect fasting levels as is illness/infection, stress etc.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds identical to me. A1C is just in normal range but fasting finger prick test is always 6-7, no matter what I do.
For me sleep seems to be the biggest factor, if I have a rough night it's always nearer 7mmol when I get up.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guzzler
@Juicetin

Points above noted about sleep. I must try and get to bed a little earlier each night. I still also have to get up in the night to use the bathroom despite my HbA1c being lower now. So I will try and fit that topic in with my Doctors appointment of Friday and see what he suggests on that for me.

@manion I have just dropped out and away from the prediabetic range but your post and some of the responses are of interest to me.

Last edited: