Gylcimoc Index

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's rubbish imo. I don't waste my time with the GI index.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Personally, I make use of it all the time. Once fully understood and the various foods subject to self testing it works out OK. As one of the commenters points out, different foods affect different people with variability. That's where the self testing comes in. After a while I've got a good profile of foods I tend to eat most of the time. Works for me.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The GI values given are an average or best fit only.
Apparently each person;' individual response to food depends on the mix of bowel bugs we each carry.
They seem to determine how sensitive our body is the insulin and thus how well or not the food is handled.
Mind you the less carb you eat the less you need to worry about it!!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Learned to stop listening to the GI as soon as I went low carb, rather know what I can eat without worrying than referring to an index card that MAY or MAY NOT be an indicator of how it'll mess with my system.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the GI and GL way of eating several years ago.
Disastrous.
Just seemed to encourage me to eat more carbs.
Also, without testing endlessly for 4 or 5 hours after meals to track each 'high fibre' food combo, I thought I was doing better than I actually was, and my next next Hba1c was an unpleasant shock. The carbs still release glucose, it just takes a bit longer.

I find it far simpler to just avoid carbs, and when/if I do eat them keep the portions as small as possible, and eat them after a meal.
Much simpler than doing all those calculations.

Food intolerances also seem to mess the calculations up - in my case, gluten.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The glycaemic index was founded on testing normoglycaemic individuals, most of us on this forum are not normoglycaemic.

Reactions: Tophat1900
M

Member496333

No doubt soon to be replaced with ‘keto approved’ labels. I’ve never found this particularly useful. Experimenting with real whole foods seems far more efficacious than looking for seals of approval on processed rubbish.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"eat to your meter" IMHO remains the best system around. Just the measured facts.