embarrassing fat bodies

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Has anyone been watching it?

The 'fat family' have undergone tests to see if they are pre-disposed to be overweight.

They ruled out things like genes, heavy bones, metabolic rates.

Turns out they just need to eat less and exercise more! the woman ate around 3300 calories a day, burned 2600 through her metabolism and burned 400 per day due to exercising, so if she cut out 300 or more she would start to lose weight! (they worked this out using a food diary and a meter that i forgot the name of lol)

I found it quite interesting that just cutting out a tenth of her daily intake she would actually be losing weight! The boys of the family weren't as active as she was, one was seditentary for 47 minutes of every hour of the day :shock: but thats boys for you :lol:

Very interesting all in all, and i'm also shocked at how obesity can really affect fertility too.

I will also admit before watching this i though gastric bands and similar operations was mainly used for people too lazy to lose the weight, but it's quite obvious it's extremely hard for some people to lose weight and the operation really is the only option... you learn something new every day :)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I've been watching the series, I never realised that after gastric band you can't eat normal ever again! Glad I am not in that position (another 1 1/2lb lost this week), must ruin your social life, but then again for some it's that or no life, but certanly not the easy option I thought they were taking!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Calories in must always be equal to calories out otherwise weight will increase/decrease, hope the family featured are successful in their endeavours.

Nigel

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Well my old Mum always said :

If your Cake hole is larger ,Than **** hole your Never going to lose weight :wink:

Bob

sparkles

Hi Ebony,

I think obesity affects more than just fertility. I think it can affect how people act, how they are seen by others and the opinions other people form of them because they are fat, These things have a knack of getting into the subconscious. And this in turn would subconsciously influence some people sometime in decision making.

Gastric bands - Is that a type of ‘rock group?’ :wink: Well seriously. I don’t know much about that operation or whether it is good or bad but I do think it is probably the only option for some people sometimes. But it doesn’t have to be!!! ……If only there was a way of letting people know without giving them information that they find threatening in some way, of making them see that they have the power within them to empower themselves and all they need to do is think about what they eat? how much they eat? Why they eat? Learn about diabetes and about themselves in relation to diabetes and make dietary adjustments needed, basically eat well, eat a variety, not too much but get a balance of nutrients …so not too little.

And do it now… time is not infinite and diabetes is a debilitating illness which can seriously impair your quality of life.

Bob, …. Seems like your mum had a knack with words… she said in sentence what its just taken me lot longer to try and say.

Noblehead and Ray, I think you’re right it is about input and output in oh so many ways… (see my new post ‘Does anyone feel like me? In this section. ) but it’s not simple at all -its very complex and works within an individual on lots o different levels. Any wonder we all get confused.?
Sparkles.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Calorie measurements are not precise ( different proteins for example have different calorie levels) and the measurement assumes that all energy taken in is digested which patently it isn't. It nevertheless gives a person a rough guide as to the energy taken in
Here is a complex version of the energy balance equation by Lyle McDonald

Energy in corrected for digestion = Resting/Basal Metabolic Rate +the Thermic effect of food +the Thermic Effect of Activity +Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis + change in body stores
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... ation.html
(it's actually a very good article in which he explains it all step by step)

What we do changes from day to day , one day it might be hotter, another day we might have bad news on ,a third we might have a bug and have diarrhoea. All might impact on our energy expenditure. Whats more as we change weight our metabolic rate will alter. So there is no way anyone can truthfully say that if you reduce your calories by so much or increase your exercise by so much you will lose this much weight.

but : If we use up/excrete more than we take in we lose weight.
If we use up/excrete less than we take we gain weight.

or Bowells version says the same thing much more colourfully :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
phoenix said:
Here is a complex version of the energy balance equation by Lyle McDonald

Energy in corrected for digestion = Resting/Basal Metabolic Rate +the Thermic effect of food +the Thermic Effect of Activity +Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis + change in body stores
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-lo ... ation.html
(it's actually a very good article in which he explains it all step by step)

Excellent read Phoenix and very helpful! :)

Nigel