Early March 2019 - Group Fasting Support

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HSSS, I find the exact opposite! When I'm doing an extended fast, I find I'm very serene and not at all crabby. When I'm eating, especially if I lapse and include carbs, I tend to get more crabby under stress. Just shows how different we all are, and I think I'm maybe very sensitive to sugar as a drug.

I have only done two extended fasts, though, so I'm no expert yet!

Serene and uncrabby would take a miracle not a fast!

Still having to cook for everyone else might be the tough bit - it’s always the stressful bit - and I’ll have to make sure I’m elsewhere when they eat it. I’m making them a pasta bake which they don’t get often, usually when I’m eating out but at least I won’t be tempted (never liked pasta).

Reactions: Chook

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Serene and uncrabby would take a miracle not a fast!

Still having to cook for everyone else might be the tough bit - it’s always the stressful bit - and I’ll have to make sure I’m elsewhere when they eat it. I’m making them a pasta bake which they don’t get often, usually when I’m eating out but at least I won’t be tempted (never liked pasta).

Yep sucked when I was cooking for my lot. 48 done, second one in a fortnight and personally don't fancy another for a bit. First one was easy, this second one not so much. Really didn't enjoy my dinner after waiting for it for so long.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep sucked when I was cooking for my lot. 48 done, second one in a fortnight and personally don't fancy another for a bit. First one was easy, this second one not so much. Really didn't enjoy my dinner after waiting for it for so long.
First lesson learnt. Start after dinner not lunch. That way if cooking dinner cracks me then at least I’ll have got most of the 24hrs done. And I don’t find nor eating breakfast hard and can even skip lunch when alone but dinner seems harder to skip. It would be so much easier living alone

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dinner seems harder to skip. It would be so much easier living alone

Agree on both - lunch far easier to skip. I do live alone which makes planning these things a lot easier. Admire those of you that have to fit around others.

Feeling much better for having eaten so made the right decision to stop. It’s weird both this week and last, I woke up on the second morning feeling like I could go beyond 48 hours but within a couple of hours was too hungry to contemplate it. Last week I did get to 48 hours but today I felt awful. Learning from both is that I’m better off with OMAD or perhaps 30 hour fasts if I want to do a bit more.

Results are looking good for all and kudos to those of you on longer fasts.

Will check in tomorrow with weight, ketones etc.

Reactions: Pipp

Merrylizard1314

@Goonergal well done for stopping when you felt peelywally. Hope you feel really great again soon.
Woke up early today, bonus dogwalk, much enjoyed.
BGL 4.7
Ketones3.2
BP120/70
Total weight loss 5.1kg but I am counting this as only half real.

And today I am off for a lunch meeting which will probably upset this progress.
Back on Monday for another go. I have enjoyed the support very much.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results @Merrylizard1314

Final readings for me:

FBG - 4.4
Ketones - 3.3 (Caresens), 3.1 (On Call)
Weight - 58.2kg - up after eating yesterday (by 0.3kg) and only 0.3kg down overall. Think my body is now trying to hold on to what it has.

Good luck for the final stretch @Chook

79660FE6-EA5A-4851-B552-D1E89992D4D1.jpeg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also live alone and I'm sure that helps me stay focused. Well done indeed to those who manage to work it around busy households!

I'm hoping to fast today and tomorrow, breaking my fast tomorrow evening. I saw weight management services yesterday, and they are very pleased with my progress and had heard of Jason Fung, so it was easier to explain what I was doing. However I'm not sure they grasped the concept of fasting very well as I was asked "And when you're fasting, what meals do you eat?" Ummm...

To be fair there are lots of fasting variations like OMAD so it probably wasn't such a daft question really.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really difficult day yesterday; thought about food too much. Day 3 has always been difficult in the past.
Managed to get through it, feel ok this morning.
FBG - 5.9 mmol/l - which is a great improvement on the week.

Hope you're all good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really difficult day yesterday; thought about food too much. Day 3 has always been difficult in the past.
Managed to get through it, feel ok this morning.
FBG - 5.9 mmol/l - which is a great improvement on the week.

Hope you're all good.
That 48-72 hour is often the hardest well done for breaking through it!

Reactions: Minal17040

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well not sure what I’m making of this. Began yesterday after an early lunch
11.30 pre lunch 5.5
1735 5.2
2214 5.5
0007 5.5
0718 5.7 (not feet on floor but my usual 10 mins or so into routines)
0928 5.9

Now I’d typically be seeing 6’s other than some high 5’s just before meals. First thing is usually higher 6’s. So there’s improvement. This morning seems to be rising not falling despite being further into the fast.

Previously I’ve thought I rise after getting up, only falling when I eat or it gets to the middle of the day at the earliest. Fasting since yesterday doesn’t seem to affect this.

I’m hungry and a little nauseous. With empty rumbling noises. Yet another tea being made. I know I’m well hydrated for sure. I’m thinking at the moment I’ll be calling it quits at 24 hrs and trying again with different start points ie after dinner not lunch next week.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Day one of fasting, started after dinner the previous night so around 17 hours into it right now, going to try to go for the 48 hours.

BG at waking has been 6.1 so hopefully this'll help get things back under control a bit, probably the larger dinner I had prepping for this.

Good luck to everyone still going and glad you felt better too @Goonergal and that sounds like a good idea to me too @HSSS

Reactions: Pipp

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Side note: I am addicted to vanilla chai tea from Tesco now, good lord.

Reactions: jpscloud

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I’m done. 24 hrs. Reading just now 5.3. Some lamb leftovers and cheese pepper and pate roll ups for lunch. Look8ng forward to Roast chicken dinner this evening. Although it was only a day the scales show a weight loss of 1.3kg. A little more than daily fluctuations typically are.

So slightly improved figures. Learnt to start after dinner. Seems whatever I do first thing is how my body likes to continue a large part of the day, eating or not eating. It wasn’t as bad as I feared but no revelatory clearness of mind or boost in anything. I can barely hear myself type above the belly rumbles though. I’ll do it again soon though as a sample of one experience isn’t a lot and it wasn’t awful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I’m done. 24 hrs. Reading just now 5.3. Some lamb leftovers and cheese pepper and pate roll ups for lunch. Look8ng forward to Roast chicken dinner this evening. Although it was only a day the scales show a weight loss of 1.3kg. A little more than daily fluctuations typically are.

So slightly improved figures. Learnt to start after dinner. Seems whatever I do first thing is how my body likes to continue a large part of the day, eating or not eating. It wasn’t as bad as I feared but no revelatory clearness of mind or boost in anything. I can barely hear myself type above the belly rumbles though. I’ll do it again soon though as a sample of one experience isn’t a lot and it wasn’t awful.
From tiny acorns..well done

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Five days of fasting is definitely at least one day too long, I am now feeling distinctly strange and light headed....

:angelic: FBG - 4.2 with only slight DP rise up to 4.8 before starting to go back down (I checked my records and this is the lowest FBG I've ever recorded!!!)

:hilarious: Weight - down another 0.1 kgs (making a total since Sunday morning of 4.6 kgs / just slightly over 10lbs - (as I've said before, I'm not expecting it to be a permanent loss)

:smug: Blood pressure - 104 / 64 - still taking the tablets but if it doesn't go back up to normal levels (for me) I will be discussing it with GP

:confused: Ketones - not bothering to test any more

:mad: Hunger - ABSOLUTELY MEGA - not so much coming in waves any more as being permanently at the front of my mind and I'm finding it hard to concentrate on anything else

:dead: Sleep - very bad night - struggled to get off to sleep then woke up 90 minutes later for a couple of hours of boredom, then another hour's sleep before waking up for good at 5am - what sleep i did have was filled with dreams of food. I think my subconscious has planned my meals for the next month!! Who in their right mind dreams about eating tinned tuna????

:banghead: Other - Hunger is dominating everything at the moment so I will finish this post then cook myself some breakfast. The occasional waves of the dizzy, weak feeling when climbing the stairs or bending are still happening.

Physical results:
1. My arthritic joints seem less achey and I am able to walk upstairs with much less pain in my knees.
2 My psoriasis is definitely less itchyitchy and inflammed.
3. According to the bathroom scales I've lost very slightly over 10lbs.
4. Blood pressure has gone down.

Conclusions:

This was a water fast including black coffee and herbal teas with the specific purpose of triggering Autophagy and the reduction in joint pain indicates it was successful in that regard.

Fasting was fine with hunger just coming in waves - apart from skipping dinner on day one and breakfast on day 2 - right up until last night (the fifth night since I last ate) when hunger became literally overwhelming and didn't fade. This might be just me, though. I'm know other people have managed a LOT longer.

I still prefer fasting to calorie restriction so my plan is to do regular fasts of shorter duration - maybe a regular 48 hour fast each week or, more likely, a 3 or 4 day fast each month.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well not sure what I’m making of this. Began yesterday after an early lunch
11.30 pre lunch 5.5
1735 5.2
2214 5.5
0007 5.5
0718 5.7 (not feet on floor but my usual 10 mins or so into routines)
0928 5.9

Now I’d typically be seeing 6’s other than some high 5’s just before meals. First thing is usually higher 6’s. So there’s improvement. This morning seems to be rising not falling despite being further into the fast.

Previously I’ve thought I rise after getting up, only falling when I eat or it gets to the middle of the day at the earliest. Fasting since yesterday doesn’t seem to affect this.

I’m hungry and a little nauseous. With empty rumbling noises. Yet another tea being made. I know I’m well hydrated for sure. I’m thinking at the moment I’ll be calling it quits at 24 hrs and trying again with different start points ie after dinner not lunch next week.
I'm having higher blood sugars than expected today - previously when fasting I'd be in the low 5s by now but I'm 6.2.

I've been drinking lemon and ginger in hot water instead of coffee. Could it be the lemon? I've been putting about a sixth of a small lemon in each drink.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm having higher blood sugars than expected today - previously when fasting I'd be in the low 5s by now but I'm 6.2.

I've been drinking lemon and ginger in hot water instead of coffee. Could it be the lemon? I've been putting about a sixth of a small lemon in each drink.

I wouldn't have thought so but you could try cutting out the lemon and test before and two hours after.

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Five days of fasting is definitely at least one day too long, I am now feeling distinctly strange and light headed....

:angelic: FBG - 4.2 with only slight DP rise up to 4.8 before starting to go back down (I checked my records and this is the lowest FBG I've ever recorded!!!)

:hilarious: Weight - down another 0.1 kgs (making a total since Sunday morning of 4.6 kgs / just slightly over 10lbs - (as I've said before, I'm not expecting it to be a permanent loss)

:smug: Blood pressure - 104 / 64 - still taking the tablets but if it doesn't go back up to normal levels (for me) I will be discussing it with GP

:confused: Ketones - not bothering to test any more

:mad: Hunger - ABSOLUTELY MEGA - not so much coming in waves any more as being permanently at the front of my mind and I'm finding it hard to concentrate on anything else

:dead: Sleep - very bad night - struggled to get off to sleep then woke up 90 minutes later for a couple of hours of boredom, then another hour's sleep before waking up for good at 5am - what sleep i did have was filled with dreams of food. I think my subconscious has planned my meals for the next month!! Who in their right mind dreams about eating tinned tuna????

:banghead: Other - Hunger is dominating everything at the moment so I will finish this post then cook myself some breakfast. The occasional waves of the dizzy, weak feeling when climbing the stairs or bending are still happening.

Physical results:
1. My arthritic joints seem less achey and I am able to walk upstairs with much less pain in my knees.
2 My psoriasis is definitely less itchyitchy and inflammed.
3. According to the bathroom scales I've lost very slightly over 10lbs.
4. Blood pressure has gone down.

Conclusions:

This was a water fast including black coffee and herbal teas with the specific purpose of triggering Autophagy and the reduction in joint pain indicates it was successful in that regard.

Fasting was fine with hunger just coming in waves - apart from skipping dinner on day one and breakfast on day 2 - right up until last night (the fifth night since I last ate) when hunger became literally overwhelming and didn't fade. This might be just me, though. I'm know other people have managed a LOT longer.

I still prefer fasting to calorie restriction so my plan is to do regular fasts of shorter duration - maybe a regular 48 hour fast each week or, more likely, a 3 or 4 day fast each month.
Have you been salting?

Reactions: Spl@ and jpscloud

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sit rep: Around 14:45pm my stomach just decided it was a dragon and started roaring up a storm, going to head off and get my greatsword to slay it aka. a big ol' bottle of water.