Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@slip I will be parked in front of the TV watching the F1. A guy we know from the garage has got a 1989 Lotus F1 car which he still races, its got the Judd engine it it and was sponsored my Camel.

XCheesyToastyX

Hi everyone, haven’t posted much recently! Busy bee me!

Had a diabetic check up a few weeks ago and was told I’m going too low to regularly...at 106 hypos in 90 days I’m not really surprised! Trying to relax a bit with my insulin as I think that’s half the problem as I know I stack insulin, so fingers crossed my HBA1C will remain the same but with less hypos! Currently at 43 down from 87 back in September.

I think half the problem is being on metformin it stops the liver dumping glucose so if I have a hypo I will continuously stay low until I treat it, so all night hypos are a regular occurrence!

Oh well onwards and upwards at least I’m too low rather than too high! Been trying out a meal delivery service called ‘Hello Fresh’ and it’s soo good and so convenient for doing proper cooking!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sponsored my Camel

I didn't know you had a camel........!

I'm quite looking forward to this year, things seem a lot closing than they've ever been in recent years.

I've got to finish the en-suit this weekend before F1 takes over the weekends! (well technically I don't have to but the wife would be a lot happier if I did!)

Reactions: Knikki

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Had a diabetic check up a few weeks ago and was told I’m going too low to regularly...at 106 hypos in 90 days I’m not really surprised! Trying to relax a bit with my insulin as I think that’s half the problem as I know I stack insulin, so fingers crossed my HBA1C will remain the same but with less hypos! Currently at 43 down from 87 back in September.

I think half the problem is being on metformin it stops the liver dumping glucose so if I have a hypo I will continuously stay low until I treat it, so all night hypos are a regular occurrence!

Oh well onwards and upwards at least I’m too low rather than too high! Been trying out a meal delivery service called ‘Hello Fresh’ and it’s soo good and so convenient for doing proper cooking!

Hey XCheesyToastyX - can't believe we're nearly in the middle of March this year already!

:eek: Wow - 106 in 90 days is an impressive number. Have you still got good early warning signs for lows? Also, do you drive much and do these affect you doing that?

Last time I looked at similar services like Hello Fresh they seemed geared towards a family of 4 setup which wouldn't suit me. That was a while ago though - convenience aside, are they good value and do they offer packages for less people now?

Reactions: XCheesyToastyX

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Excellent results with the HBA1C, i can only dream of figures like these. The big key for me improving my BG has been the Libre, which gives me a good indication where my BG is at any time. I can scan up to 20 times a day which can give me an information overload at times. The main key thing is simply testing and making adjustments where necessary.

I have recently been put on a pump which will be great for making tiny adjustments to insulin doses and hopefully give better results.

Keep up the excellent work and hopefully number of hypos will come down. It can be a lot of effort but you are getting the rewards

Reactions: XCheesyToastyX

XCheesyToastyX

Hey XCheesyToastyX - can't believe we're nearly in the middle of March this year already!

:eek: Wow - 106 in 90 days is an impressive number. Have you still got good early warning signs for lows? Also, do you drive much and do these affect you doing that?

Last time I looked at similar services like Hello Fresh they seemed geared towards a family of 4 setup which wouldn't suit me. That was a while ago though - convenience aside, are they good value and do they offer packages for less people now?

I know, not good! I do still feel hypos anything under 4 but luckily the hypos tend to be at set times of day when I don’t tend to be driving and never serious enough for me to have another person to help me!

Have had a couple of close shaves whilst driving (even after doing exactly what DVLA advise) before but luckily this hasn’t been a common occurrence!

Yes it’s only the 2 of us in our household so we get 4 meals for 2 each week. I’d probably say it is quite expensive at £42 a week however I find you’re not continuously going to the shop to buy odds and sods and herbs and spices which can be expensive! I believe it’s all locally sourced as well so does that little bit for the environment!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi I am going to make a cottage pie tonight, more filling than mash. Daughter doesn't eat it anymore, her tastes have changed :rolleyes: so I will have enough for a another meal.
Enjoy your 'hello fresh' :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip . Is your good lady aware of this technicality which may interfere with her happiness?:):)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was me in work today we have only got 4 residents left and by tomorrow we will have none but manager still wants us in for our shifts my last one is monday when the home officially closes but i start my new job on 21st so ten days rest then back to it looking forward to a new chapter
FB_IMG_1551991032414.jpg

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@karen8967 iit must be emotionally draining at the moment, but the new opportunity is fantastic.
Will you still be up super early?

Reactions: karen8967

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know, not good! I do still feel hypos anything under 4 but luckily the hypos tend to be at set times of day when I don’t tend to be driving and never serious enough for me to have another person to help me!

Have had a couple of close shaves whilst driving (even after doing exactly what DVLA advise) before but luckily this hasn’t been a common occurrence!

What's your target range? Driving is important to me so when too many hypos started creeping into my days I ended up agreeing with my team to up mine slightly from the standard 4.0-7.0 to 5.0-8.0 and this worked well.

-
I don't know whether to give your post a hug or optimistic @karen8967 - you must have a lot of conflicting emotions right now though hopefully the new job will turn out to be a great opportunity. :)

Reactions: karen8967

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @therower like all things new the pump is going to be a challenge. Then again it has taken me months to tweek my MDI to a decent level and even then I still get it wrong sometimes (well my body does) Think the difference with pump is you can make minor adjustments at any time, without having to keep taking correction doses, you can also adjust/drastically reduce basal should the need arise

Reading numerous forums most folks who go on pump say they would never go back to MDI and control improves. I could certainly do with better control
Hi @smc4761, As @helensaramay says, the early days of switchover are going to be complicated with the residual effects of your long-acting insulin. Same thing happened to me at the outset and also when I had to go off pump and then start back on it some days later. You will find your 'sea legs' on this new sailing caper and never look back.
As pretentious as it sounds this phase helps by giving you a chance to getting used to what the pump and you can do in various conditions as unpleasant as they can be.
As @porl69 found once through the 'initiation' the sailing is much smoother and, just as with mdi, you learn the quirks of the pump and of its potential. Please do not forget to name it as you can expect it to be with you day and night for a long time. It will adapt to being 'abandoned' whilst you shower etc, and you to it telling you off with an alarm and so on.
IMG_3723.jpg

Reactions: smc4761

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@helensaramay, It looks like you could skate in those socks!! May the wearing of them dispel all diabetes gremlins (in winter at least)!! And may the Humalog be well behaved !!! BTW some new info for the Ideas for Lean Pumpers coming up in the next hours or so but it will be about what did not work. But better to know what does not work and what can be learnt or tried from there !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Knikki, A mantra: When technology is troublesome eat chocolate !! And I can understand that can make anyone leery of insulin pumps, too. And me of Libre et al.
As long as the music sound system is OK, that is what matters !!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Mel dCP, I hope your pupils are surviving the circulation as they traverse the small intestinal wall and venture forth in the blood stream towards the liver and face the prospect of either being showered with insulin or left bereft of that pleasure. May they all survive the dastardly bugs which they have to recognise and use the antibody weapons well.
And that your pump and you remain on good terms and the diesel also.
In every educational cloud there is a silversmithess.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Cumberland, I am very glad you did not name her 'Vespa'!!! She is adorable and will do wonderful things for your BSL.
I imagine she is on a low carb diet and that the fat will get her a continuing lustrous coat.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Robinredbreast, O Oracle, you predict the wearing and use of a pump ? May that come to pass and you be better for it.
And may your walks home to be filled with joy. laughter and the stroking of horses!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jaylee, You can try to take the man out of the rocker, but you cannot take the rocker out of the man!!
May the (music) force be always with you.