Type 2 Leg cramps below knee

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again,
So I’m pretty sure that this question has been asked before but I’m really bad at using forums.
I’m been getting calf, feet and even toe cramps when sleeping, the worst time is morning when I lay on my back and stretch...... both legs cramp really bad.
Can this be pinned down to dehydration or a diet thing or high BG

Thank you

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could be a sodium thing or a statin thing...

D

Deleted member 308541

Can this be pinned down to dehydration or a diet thing or high BG
I used to get a lot of cramps in the lower legs years ago, a lot of them were from not enough electrolytes. I put extra salt on my food, and I drank a lot of staminade.

I have not had any cramps for a long time now, and I have not missed them either. :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@res1492

Could well be electrolyte imbalances. I used to get similar, almost every night. For me supplementing with magnesium bisglycinate (that formula is better absorbed than many others) and potassium has really helped. Get cramps far less often. Also be sure to stay hydrated.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Crimmeny I get this myself as well so thanks for the advice all!

Reactions: jjraak

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also used to get a lot of lower leg/ankle cramps, however this was back when I was unknowingly suffering from malnutrition due to my undiagnosed coeliac disease, I get cramp a lot less when I stopped eating gluten cos it meant I was getting most of the nutrients I needed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I got foot cramps at night in the early days of low carbing I used magnesium spray before I went to bed. It’s an easy way for the body to absorb magnesium. At the same time I switched to using pink Himalayan salt (it contains potassium and magnesium as well as sodium) in my cooking. The spray got rid of the cramps fairly quickly and subsequently I stopped using it and keep the cramps away with just the pink salt.

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be a sodium thing or a statin thing...
hello...i haven't started the statins yet.... I only got diag'ed today....the cramps have been happening for the past 2 weeks or so...are sugar-free sports drinks ok to replace electrolytes or do they contain carbs?
I'm sorry I know these are entry level questions but I don't have a clue what I'm doing...im getting headaches too, do you think its all related?
Im starting to worry how much all this low carb food is going to cost, I'm on my own and don't have much money left after the bills go out....................ok totally oversharing there...this post is all over the place.

lol..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

are sugar-free sports drinks ok to replace electrolytes or do they contain carbs?
Staminade has about 15 grams / 100 of carbs, as I said before it helped get rid of cramps at night. So you make a snap judgement cramps or no cramps.
Im starting to worry how much all this low carb food is going to cost, I'm on my own and don't have much money left after the bills go out
Low carb food is no dearer than high carb food, I have found.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
hello...i haven't started the statins yet.... I only got diag'ed today....the cramps have been happening for the past 2 weeks or so...are sugar-free sports drinks ok to replace electrolytes or do they contain carbs?
I'm sorry I know these are entry level questions but I don't have a clue what I'm doing...im getting headaches too, do you think its all related?
Im starting to worry how much all this low carb food is going to cost, I'm on my own and don't have much money left after the bills go out....................ok totally oversharing here...this post is all over the place.

lol..

Ask as many questions as you like and share as much or as little as you like. You are among freinds here.

The sports drinks are overpriced and overrated in my opinion. You could do just as well by adding in a little more salt to your food. Because processed foods contain a lot of salt when we change to a diet of whole fresh foods we can sometimes suffer a lack of sodium. The headaches could be dehydration so make sure you're drinking enough. If either of these symptomes persist make sure you see a health care professional.

Low carb doesn't have to be expensive, I have managed to tweak a lot of my old favourite recipes to leave out the carbs while adding in more nutritious foods. Have a look at the 'What have you eaten today' thread for ideas, it is very popular.