comfort eating

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi due to severe pain in my leg my usual 2mile walk is now reduced to a hoble on my crutches. So to compensate I am returning to comfort eating, any advice on safe snacks would be appreciated, I take one metformin and am 76. My blood sugar is usually under control, but it won’t be for long if I carry on the way I am going

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does eating the wrong things give you 'comfort? Sounds as if it doesn't really.
Eating is only a solution if hunger is the problem and if you are less active then the urge to eat is emotional but you don't have to succumb!
We all get that feeling of craving sweet/fatty things in times of stress but in reality you will feel worse if you give yourself this excuse and it may also hamper your recovery.
If you are genuinely hungry then I'd say safe snacks that don't raise the blood sugar are cheese, boiled eggs, cream in a coffee or a handful of raw nuts.
Hope you recover soon.

Reactions: Dj29067 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't comfort eat now, but do like to nibble on something when I'm a bit bored.
I usually go for cheese or nuts. I like black olives too - I need to buy a couple of jars of those.
Oh and I like Peperamis too, especially the 'Hot' variety, I need to buy some more of those too.

Reactions: Dj29067

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Comfort eating... ah... well in my youth that was stuff like chocolate, mashed potato, and lovely stodgy rice pudding.

Nowadays, I go for low carb hot choc (made the old way, with hot water, cocoa and cream, with sweetener to taste), or 70% cocoa solids hot choc, or cheese (love chunks of cheese!) or nuts.

The trouble is, when it is fine to eat all those things some of the comfort factor is reduced, because part of what made something comforting was the forbidden quality... so I actually eat them regularly, and don't see them as 'special' any more.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does eating the wrong things give you 'comfort? Sounds as if it doesn't really.
Eating is only a solution if hunger is the problem and if you are less active then the urge to eat is emotional but you don't have to succumb!
We all get that feeling of craving sweet/fatty things in times of stress but in reality you will feel worse if you give yourself this excuse and it may also hamper your recovery.
If you are genuinely hungry then I'd say safe snacks that don't raise the blood sugar are cheese, boiled eggs, cream in a coffee or a handful of raw nuts.
Hope you recover soon.
But it does not make me feel worse it makes me feel better I don’t think you understand the situation

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But it does not make me feel worse it makes me feel better I don’t think you understand the situation
Former emotional eater so I would say that I do. At the time I would also have been annoyed by the suggestion that I wasn't getting comfort from chocolate and bread but now I feel that when my ego makes excuses for eating badly then I'll at least admit that this is what it is!

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry to hear you are having leg pains and trouble walking, I am a comfort eater. I have severe BED and also type 2, i try not to binge eat but i love to snack. My favourite thing at the moment is cheese and also i like chorizo which is thin sliced and air fryer if you have a air fryer.. I also like no salt crisps a lot

Reactions: Prem51

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply and information. It was suggestions that i was looking for not moralising

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Hello there,

Yes I can empathise with comfort eating. Suffering from Anxiety and Depression I have relapsed so many times and resorted to chips, chocolate and generally unhealthy stuff.

Now I’m much better and eating more healthily and my go to comfort foods are cuts of cold meat, cheese, Pork scratchings, very dark chocolate and diabetic sweets. Cook a batch of chicken wings, cheap and easy to nibble on.

Good luck.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, yes this to is one of my go to treats but with the high dose pain relief I’m still overeating. My G.P has suggested dividing my meals into smaller portions and eating more often.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Former emotional eater so I would say that I do. At the time I would also have been annoyed by the suggestion that I wasn't getting comfort from chocolate and bread but now I feel that when my ego makes excuses for eating badly then I'll at least admit that this is what it is!

Oh be quiet.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry all on this thread. I have been comfort reading a self help book (called Chasing Cupcakes - Elizabeth Benton) which gave me a different perspective but I shall now eat some humble pie!
How many carbs in that ;)

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mr. Zig is diet controlled. He has hummus with various things, sometimes dips a boiled egg into it and loves Broghies (one a day) We always have Babybels in the fridge and full fat Longly Farm cottage cheese. Little tuna pots with mayonnaise from Sainsburys, very handy. He also makes protein balls with non sweetened cocoa which are quite decadent tasting and 100% cocoa chocolate from Sainsburys or Waitrose. Hope you find a good place soon.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh and there's always crème fraiche in the fridge too. Spoonful with chilli, curry or just on its own or on the side if I make him some pumpkin brownies.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese, cheese and more cheese with raw red cabbage.