Does anyone else feel like me?

sparkles

Is it right to feel like this?

I worry that my diabetes is somehow related to

a) my gluttony
b) gluttony in the world

(gluttony)
I live in a world of plenty, . Well, that’s to say there has never been a real shortage of food in my life and I have always had access and lots of choice about food. But I love food and have a tendency to over indulge. I’m realising this is damaging me. I understand the carbohydrate issue too and that I might just have a susceptibility to carbohydrates, but I still think I have over eaten most of my life and I’m glad I’m looking into it and thinking about what I eat now.

(gluttony in the world)
I kind of get a bad feeling inside… I know I have plenty but I’m aware that others elsewhere in the world don’t have the same access or choice or amount of food and that I have. What their country grows might have to be sold on a world market in order for the country to survive. This market economy skews things in my opinion and in order to survive, some people cut corners some of the time. They reduce the quality to increase the yield, this kind of thing. In the west we even benefit again in this competition through access to resources and putting our scientific knowledge into action. I’m thinking of things like GM crops, battery v free range hens, but also about things like child exploitation in places where child labour is still used and the

chocolate industry.
(this ones a fuzzy but chocolate is a real luxury item here in England but elsewhere it is just a product that many people work in bad conditions all day to produce for us and they would never get the chance to even taste it.)

I can’t disassociate myself from the fact that I have developed diabetes.

I can do something about it and I am trying hard to learn about what I can do right now to halt its progress. That feels empowering to me.

But I also cant seem to change the fact that I am both sensitive and rational and what I think and see and feel in life affects me. I can’t change the world. Given a chance I would try...

The fact that I think, see and feel like this causes me a lot of grief in my life -Its emotionally crippling.

Does anyone else feel like this? How can I cope with my feelings about things when I cant change things around me? It makes me feel so out of control.

Sparkles.

ClaireG 06

I think most of us have felt like this at some point. Unfortunatly, we can only change ourselves and strive for better control of our diabetes as well as other health issues and life in general.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sparkles try not to blame yourself for having developed diabetes, gluttony does not cause diabetes, thousands if not millions of people are obese and are not diabetic, it may be a contributing factor in some cases but it is not the cause.

Try to channel your energies and emotions into controlling your condition rather than looking to find and attribute blame :D

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'm with Sid on this (not literally with him, so no rumours!) but I do understand you're the sort who is obviously a thinker so want to understand why. But I reckon it's a lot more productive instead of thinking backwards to causes and blames, to think forward to control and benefits etc I benefit as I have lost weight and exercise more regularly.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sparkles, I am tiny in frame and build,always been and am a real fussy n finnicky eater too, have bowel disease and yep diabetes got even me... :shock: And despite healthy diet n lifestyle plus victoza / insulin my BS levels are still erratic and out of control. :? In fact if it wont level down I will be tested for LADA cpeptide. I do get fed up with the constant battle to grab control of my erratic BS levels n it just keeps doing its own thing! is soooo frustrating for me. :? I was in denial for ages after diagnosis just couldnt n wouldnt accept it had got me, then waves of feeling a total failure despite meds / injections kicked in. I have rode out these onslaught of feelings and am in a much better place now . I respect and accept the unexplainable reasons as to how n why diabetes got me. I think positive there are loads of persons far worse off than me and am grateful for life and the chance to live n experience it. Anna.x :D

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I firmly believe that the only way to change the world is to change yourself and work outwards. If you are feeling attached to the world via gluttony and diabetes, then I would suggest that you become a more concious consumer.

There is a considerable volume of evidence - if you read Gary Taubes and others - to say that diabetes causes obesity at least as much as there is to show that obesity causes diabetes. Insulin resistance causes glucose to be stored as fat - most people who are heading towards type 2 are insulin resistant - therefore they store more fat. So your weight could be a cause or a symptom of diabetes.

Cheers (and welcome back :))

Ailz

sparkles

Claire.. Thanks… wish I could be so concise!

Sid,
Of cause, you are right… thousands of people are obese and not diabetic Obesity is just one contributing factor to diabetes ……But I think it’s a big one on an individual’s level

Im not trying to find or apportion blame. I don’t think this way although I can see why you might think it. just see the world around me…

I am trying to heal myself…. Both physically and emotionally (dont forget Iv’e not long since had a breakdown)

I guess I’m worried.

Gappy,
Yes, I’m very self -reflective and also very self-critical (to the point of self destruction sometimes!) and I agree its better to think forward to control and the benefits gained from having better control (for me, you and society)…. In terms of a debilitating condition like Diabetes the time element becomes so important for everyone who has it or is at risk of developing it.

Well done with your weight-loss and lifestyle changes and I’m glad they are working for you.

Anna
In what way are you a fussy eater? Why are you a fussy eater? What is it about food that makes you ‘fussy;?’ (your views, your tastes, your other conditions? Etc. May be its like I think phoenix was saying (perhaps a different current thread) that lots of different things affect our diabetes control - not just our meds and diets. (I’m thinking things like stress for instance.) Yes I agree Anna!!… its good to be alive and to enjoy life and engage in it and with it and learn from it etc etc…

It is good to be grateful. I appreciate the things you have all said. I think its just that some things in life are bigger than me.. I cant control or understand them and that can get frightening. As well as diabetes and mental health issues I had spots for two years and don’t know what caused them. I have seen this thing = phenomenon , whatever, an unknown condition that people are getting and trying to understand. Its causing havoc. The medical community is upset because they don’t understand the condition, so they tell people its an illusion because people who believe they have the condition (named morgellons) are being told they are imagining it. They( who think they have this condition) find this hurtful in many ways… they don’t get help to recover, they are psychologically hurt and feel rejected. Their condition worsens.. And All That probably makes them more susceptible to any illness they are suffering anyway… its not healing to be rejected.

I understand diabetes which is poorly controlled attacks the immune system. Now I could be wrong about that. But Some Morgellons sufferers appear to be saying they think their bodies are infected with a parasite of some kind. I cant help thinking that perhaps some of these people are people who are predisposed to diabetes and perhaps their immune systems are depressed… then may be their assumptions are valid and should be taken onboard by the medical community. These are difficult times… we don’t have all the answers. Its ok. But if we don’t look into these difficult situations we will never learn. This brings me to interacting with our environment.. I worry that people are cutting too many corners in the food production
Industry. I know from (biology, life, chemistry etc) lessons things do mutate and adapt and assimilate. I believe in the interconnectedness of all things and I know about the struggle to survive. (in daily life!)

Ailz.. havent read your reply yet but am aware its there... I'll address it next time Im on site..
(As long as I can find it again) (and remember)
Sparkles.