3 hours after eating 12.2 mmol?

thesmileyone

Ate a meal at 7pm. Just done prick test...12.2 mmol. Should I be worried? About to go to bed too.

I am not diabetic at least that's what the Doctors say when i get bloodtests.

I am wondering if lack of blood can cause this? Even with lance on max depthness my blood clots so quickly that I struggle to get enough blood onto the meter. I would presume fast clotting is actually sign of being healthy? Scabs etc heal very fast.

I will book for a fasted bloodtest but the wait is weeks / months where I live due to lack of funding.

I have had some hypoglycemia like scenarios too however I suffer from anxiety and the two are very similar. During some of these the meter says "Lo" however like I said I find it hard to get enough blood on to the meter.

Thanks

D

Deleted Account

A one-off Reading is not enough information to know.
You may have had something on your finger, your strips may be out of date, your meter may be having a funny turn.

I would also think about what you would do if you found out you do have diabtetes.
If you were wanting to manage it with diet, you could follow this without diabetes.
If you wanted to treat it with drugs, you would have to get a formal diagnosis so would need the doctor to confirm p.

Reactions: Prem51

thesmileyone

Thanks. I have been on Keto since this thread, which is going well but having some wierd episodes.

My blood meter seems to be useless. I checked myself when I got up this morning, having not eaten since 9pm last night (5 grapes, due to episode, which may or may not have been hypo, because keto gives false hypos). Firstly the meter said "Lo" which means less than 4 mmol. Then I redid it and it said 11.9 mmol. That's a HUGE variancy! Run out of meters now. My blood clots so fast I have trouble getting enough onto the meter :/

Reactions: Trevandval

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would recommend you try really hard to improve your testing so that you can get some meaningful results. The "Lo" reading was probably a bad reading. I'm not sure what a false hypo is.

M

Member496333

I would recommend you try really hard to improve your testing so that you can get some meaningful results. The "Lo" reading was probably a bad reading. I'm not sure what a false hypo is.

False hypo is a blood glucose concentration that is not lower than is regarded to be the bottom limit, but which is much much lower than the body has been accustomed to. Thus there are symptoms of hypoglycaemia even though, clinically, glucose is within safe limits.

Reactions: mariavontrapp

thesmileyone

Last 2 days have been perfectly fine EXCEPT after evening meal. And evening meal only. I actually have less carbs in evening meal than post IF meal at 2pm, yet at 2pm-5pm I am fine. But after evening meal I get reactive hypo. Sitting with it currently. Some fruit juice and 15 mins later I'm all good. I have brought my evening meal forward from 7pm to ~5pm so I am not in RH when I go to sleep.

So ~5 days of keto has seemingly fixed hyperglycemia symptoms and I am hoping a few more days will fix the reactive hypo.

I can't give accurate mmol/l because the meter is all over the place but it seems my fasting blood sugar has dropped a few units which is good.

The wierd thing is if I exercise hard during the reactive hypo, all the symtoms go away and don't come back. Yet exercise supposedly lowers blood sugar? For me it seems to raise it.

Which is why I am wondering if these are false hypos. Again i go prick my finger and get any result between "Lo" and 10 mmol/l.

I don't want to go to the doctors because they will want me to come off keto for the fasting blood test. Which means no progress for a while.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, exercise raises blood glucose - my liver releases glucose to sustain it, otherwise I'd be in trouble every time I do anything strenuous.

res1492

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want to go to the doctors because they will want me to come off keto for the fasting blood test. Which means no progress for a while.

I didn't want to go to the doctor either but after being dragged there by a family friend my BG was 24.4...and i thought i was fine.....not going because you'll have to come of the keto is not a good enough excuse.
Guessing your blood sugar by the way you feel is a huge no no as far as im aware because you don't feel ill until its too late, please dont gamble with your health buddy, get down to the doctors

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, exercise raises blood glucose - my liver releases glucose to sustain it, otherwise I'd be in trouble every time I do anything strenuous.
walking raises mine too i posted this on my thread about low carb feeling tired, the past few nights no walking and blood sugar under 7 tonight walking and blood sugar 7.2 classed as high according to the chart but i don't think its high or anything to be worried about .