STATIN USERS - QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

Cowboyjim

Re: STATIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

JAT... don't some meds tell you to discontinue the presc if stuff happens and see your doc?
I have long suspected the Simvastatin they gave me is the cheapest... so until you complain... 8)

ronburnett

Cholesterol Level - Statins

Hi my doctor has advice me to start taking statins to reduce my cholesterol which is currently 5.1
he says it should be 4 as I'm type 2.
I control both with diet and I'm reluctant to start taking statins any advice would be most appreciated

FaithS

Re: Cholesterol Level

Ron............I would take the statins (they do make a difference) mine was 8.4 (just a tad high) came down within a week to about 5...........incidentally I followed a very restricted diet as I have Crohns...........and my daughter asked Why it was so high........we were told your diet has very little to do with it (about 20% is as result of your food intake) the rest is made by your Liver...........therefore IF your Liver decides to go into overdrive there is not a lot you can do about it........other than take the statins.

Hope that help

FaithS

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Strange things Statins, and doctors for that matter, my latest cholesterol was 4.6 and in two years Ive only had one under 4 and that was 3.9, mind you Ive never had one over 5 either but no one has ever mentioned the possibility of me going on Statins, neither at the hospital diabetes clinic or my doctors.

Could it be that some doctors are more statin happy than others?

Having said that I tend to be quite compliant and would probably take a statin if told to if my cholesterol was higher than it is. But all the time it is between 4 and 5 I am not worried about it.

I tend to think that a lot of these risk factors are compounded by high bg levels so if you have an HbA1c in the 5's as I do or the 6's then you probably are at a lower risk of complications from other factors like slightly raised cholesterol or even slightly high BP (note I was the word slightly there before you flame me LOL)

These are just my own thoughts, obviously everyone's medical history is different so if you are prescribed statins and are not happy you should question it with your doctor not take any notice of what I have said :D

FaithS

I probably should have explained the 8.4 reading or rather the context - this was at the time of what they termed a silent mri (heart attack) and according to the guy that sorted it I was too young for this to occur?? (I was 52 and it was out of the blue that this happened) first thing they checked me for was diabetes (due to my dad having been a diabetic & the 8.4 cholestrol reading).

At the time I was told I was not diabetic? and just had a wok cholestrol level ? (hence how the explanation about the liver making too much came about) - they stuck me on the highest level of Atorvastatin 80mg (was like taking a horse tablets LOL) it was a huge tablet.........I have since managed to have it reduced to a 40mg tablet (because I felt constantly tired) - I was also told initially that to take the tablet at night (as it is night time that your body produces higher levels of cholestrol).

I certainly know that in my particular case the statin does make a BIG difference (I stopped taking it with my doctors permission for a couple of weeks to see what would happen) and it shot up again to over 6 - I have now been informed some years later that I am indeed diabetic Type 2 - so dont know.............I would not advocate it (statins for all) and yes some do cause side effects - but I certainly know in my case - without the statin my cholestrol would go through the roof within 3 or 4 weeks.

Hope that explains my initial reply to Ron - as Sid said I guess it all depends on individauls medical history.

FaithS

NorthCountryMaid

Re: statins

benniesmum said:
I started on Simvastatin a couple of months ago, and got such severe muscle pains that my doc switched me to Pravastatin. Not so bad, but my blood sugar has gone up. I've upped my CoQ10 but so far no effect. Annoying, because my blood sugar went down when I started taking it last year. I've read that coQ10 can get depleted on statins, but how much and on what dose? My Doc didn't know and was dubious about it.
About the Simvastatin - snap. Serious muscle pains - shoulder down to fingers. Took myself off them, because the pain was getting worse. I was supposed to report this to my GP, but the first fortnight I was more or less OK, Christmas Eve not so good, Christmas Day manageable but it got really bad on Boxing Day! That meant another 3/4 days before I could see my GP, so I checked the manufacturer's website (bless the internet!), read their advice and took myself off it immediately.

GP wished I had come in for a test first, but realised that days (weekend plus 2 bank holidays) not auspicious.

Eventually she put me on to Pravastatin (snap again), which I agreed to give a go. I still find that I'm getting muscle pains in my shoulder, but have to admit that typing posture probably not helping it.

I have just started taking CoQ10 (120 mg p.d.) and have discovered that it seems to help the Brain Fog (courtesy of the ME) a bit, but not the symptoms of the statins.

What I have been noticing for about the same length of time that I've taking the Pravastatin is an odd sensation in my feet and ankles. It's really hard to describe (and I've been trying). The surface of the feet and normally, or sometimes excessively responsive - sometimes I have to take a lot of painkiller before I can cope with the bed clothes touching my feet.

Inside they feel, well "all wrong" is sometimes the best I can do. I can sense the muscles underneath the feet, but they sometimes feel numb. I'm also finding that they spasm very easily, though that's probably the MS. I don't know whether this is a side effect of the statins (which by the sound it is possible), a standard symptom of MS (losing sensation in your legs goes with the territory) or a warning from the diabetes (I know feet are a standard target).

I saw the podiatrist only a few weeks ago, and she was very happy with the condition of my feet, but those tests work on responsiveness of the skin.

I saw the MS nurse a few weeks ago, and she said put up the Baclofen dose. That can calm the spasming a bit, but the "aliens have taken over my feet, and now I'm a 2nd class citizen" sensations have got worse.

Biggest problem with multiple conditions is that no one knows how they all interact, and anything I report to one medic can be passed off as a problem from something else and for someone else. Or as "definitely this - no need to consider any other possibilities."

Any how I shall stick to the statins for a while, and see what happens. I probably am being helped by the CoQ10 and shall keep that going for a while, even if I dump the statins.

My GP says that the cholesterol readings should convince me of the need for statins, but whatever the numbers say, it's my shoulder that's aching, and my feet that are trying to declare UDI.

NorthCountryMaid

FaithS said:
we were told your diet has very little to do with it (about 20% is as result of your food intake) the rest is made by your Liver...........therefore IF your Liver decides to go into overdrive there is not a lot you can do about it........other than take the statins.

Hope that help
The thing about your liver was news to me - I'll check that one out.

So yes, that helps. Thanks.

Cowboyjim

This is all very well but why is the liver making too much cholesterol?

As I wrote elsewhere my DN wants me to get mine down from a 'reasonable' 5.5 to under 4. And of course the only thing she could suggest is statin pills.

I took them a year ago and got a low reading of 1.8 and another of 2.8. Ergo... back on the statins.

I stopped taking them (simvastatin) because I was hurting and felt my mind was going... could not concentrate as well etc.

I am tempted to try them again and see how much it hurts. 8)

That said can I monitor my own cholesterol level with a gadget like my Accuchek that the NHS will give me free?

ronburnett

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the useful information I have done a lot of research and I still do not like the idea of taking statins.
So I have started a new exercise program and re-focused on my diet and agreed with my Doctor to have a further blood test in 3 months time to see if I can reduce my cholesterol that way.
If not I will give the statins ago.

Ceedy

Dislikes
On TV .soaps, most manufactored poip groups, all reality shows, most usa RUBBISH.

Drivers on mobiles, most politicians

I was put on Simvastatin, when first diagnosed in 2009 . And definatley had tingy hands for a long while, along with various aches and pains , mostly in the shoulders and arms, and weakness generally, plus my muscles ( mostly in the top body section/arms ) seemed to bet getting a bit
flabbier..
I did put it down to age for a long while !! :wink:

Edit.. Forgot I had about 6 months on Pravastatins too with little change on the aches & pains .!!!

But a few months back I stopped taking them ( prava) for 2 weeks and within a few days all the symptoms went!

My GP then put me on Atorvastatin, much reduced tinglies but not completely gone ,

But I do feel tired a lot of the time...... Now is that age aswell then ? :lol:

Chris

Chris.Strike

I was/am on statins, but suffer a lot of pain in my hip joints if I take them for more than 10 days (I have both hips resurfaced after years of abuse playing rugby and parachuting only 50!) to manage the risk I take them for 10 days then stop for 10, withy the doctor's agreement there is no change in my readings and no pain - should I ask the doctor to stop them full time

Anupamsanyal

I am not diabetic.I had quadruple bypass surgery 11 years back and from day one has been on Lipitor which was changed by my doctor to simvastatin 40 mg a day. Although my cholesterol level is below 5, my GP told me to carry on (I am 78) . I haven't had no side effect.

Anu

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i started by taking simvastatin, which caused more problems with my acid reflux, and gave me leg cramps. i refused to take them, and my G.P them put me on Atorvastatin, which i have been taking for approx 2 yrs, and i have no problems with it at all! my cholestrol is down to the 3's. i have heard that atorvastatin is the best one for women. im not sure why though!
i have no complaints with this medication at all. just try different ones, dont try one, then give up!!
my dad passed away 3 yrs ago from heart disease. he didnt have a clue he had it, and it turns out that alot of his aunts and uncles passed with heart related problems. so, i have more chance of having heart attacks as i get older, and having statins is one thing i can do to help prevent this happening to me. we all know that diabetics have more chance of having heart problems as a complication of diabetes, so i think that anything you can do to prevent more health problems as you get older.. then do it!!!

Valeriepres

When my GP first put me onto statins, I was prescribed LIPITOR and I was happy taking them until she said that they were expensive and she couldn't give them to me anymore and I had to take SIMVASTATIN instead. They cost peanuts compared to Lipitor! Well, after a time I felt that I was losing my hair. It was getting thinner and my hairdresser noticed this. I asked my doctor if I could go back on Lipitor and the answer was NO but I can give you another statin. PRAVASTATIN which I have been taking now for about a year. My hair is still thinning so I have got to live with this.
She tells me that I must take the statins even though I don't have a problem with cholesterol. I am diabetic (Type 2) though and she said that she wants to keep my cholesterol levels well below the normal.
I did have from the very beginning a very severe pain in my top right arm. I could hardly raise my arm and the pain used to keep me awake at night. I started taking a cod liver oil capsule, 2 capsules of Rose hip granules and 1 Chondroitin tablet each morning at breakfast when I take my other prescription tablets and that has worked. I don't have any pain now and I can now raise my arm nearly as good as my left arm.

tony48738

I've been Type 1 for 18 months, and when diagnosed found I had cholesterol level of 11. I was put on Astorvastatin 80mg, after 12 months they crippled me every muscle in my body ached, my shoulder and knees were in constant pain. My doctor would not lower the dose even tho my levels had dropped to 3.2. he said live with the side effects or risk a heart attack or stroke.
I got that bad I went to see differant doctors at my practice, until I found a doctor who lowered the dose as he could see the pain I was in. I am now on Asorvastatin 20mg and all the aches and pains have gone, my cholesterol has risen slightly to 4.3 but no pain.
Seek a second opinion if you find your self in the same boat as I was in. :D

andybiddulph

When I took Statins I had muscle problems and felt weak and lethargic. This reduced when I stopped taking them. I have since found out that Statins reduce the production of co-enzyme Q10, in the liver, which is vital for proper muscle function and vitality. In some countries Q10 supplements are routinely prescribed with Statins. The whole Cholesterol thing is probably a load of nonsense Japanese research indicates the Cholesterol level which leads to the longest life is in the range 6.2 to 6.7. Reducing Cholesterol is like the healthy diet. Your risk of heart attack is lower but your overall morbidity rate is higher. You die sooner but it might not be from a heart attack. When will they realise we are a whole organism not a collection of single medical conditions to be addressed separately.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars

When I decided to stop the statin I was left with the question of what to do to improve my HDL, LDL and triglycerides.
Quite simply this was achieved by cutting the carbs and increasing my fats. Nothing else changed. Exercise did not increase. These days my cholesterol is what the HCPs accept as desirable.
For me it was the wrong foods (high carb) that caused the issues.
Today, low carb, increased fats and no medications.

steve451

Hi all. I have just returned an unused box of simvastatin to my gp's surgery along with a letter explaining why I was no longer taking them.

Basically, I was diagnosed glucose intolerant after a routine blood test. I immediately changed my diet and started to exercise more, started swimming and walking / running daily. Over 3 months I lost 24 Lbs and was feeling good for the first time in years. I managed to get my gp to put test strips on my pre-paid prescription so I could find out for myself what affected my BG the most. Another routine blood test and they were happy with my BG results, but they put me on simvastatin, even though my HDL was only slightly high, and my LDL was actually low!!

2 months later and I'm back at square 1 - almost immediately I started to gain weight at an alarming rate, about 1/2 Lb per day, had muscle and joint pains, became forgetful, have gone from running 3 miles a day to barely making it the 1/2 mile to the local shop and back without stopping. Worst of all, my fasting BG which I had got down to 5.5 - 6.5 mmol on waking via diet and exercise (I could no longer excercise because it hurt too much, but carried on with the low GI, low fat regime) started to increase. On Sunday morning it was 10.8 mmol at which point I boxed the unused tablets up and posted them back. I'd rather take my chances with the cholesterol. These things are handed out like peanuts at a cocktail party - and there is increasing evidence that they can cause type 2, which I can believe after seeing the way my BG increased. I'd never have known until the next blood test next year if I hadnt got the meter / test strips. At least now I can do something about it.

trevors50uk

Hi Julie,
I used to have that lack of energy problem, but solved it (mostly!) by taking Co enzyme Q10.

seascapes

I had been taking Crestor for years. I always felt tired but I take other diabetic drugs and all of them seem to list fatigue as a side effect.

Then my hair started falling out. And not growing on legs and under arms etc. When I told my doc about it, he said he had another patient with the same problem and it could be the statin! He prescribed a different statin but I was so disgusted I read an Amazon book about stains and stopped taking it altogether. My hair loss has stopped but it will take a long time to get it back! My last cholesterol test showed a rise. But yet my doc said I was only on the 'advisory' level re 'ought to take statins' and not 'really ought to' as outlined in guidelines. I think docs too easily give us the tablets without considering the side effects on the patients quality of life. Fatigue and hair loss greatly affects my quality of life. If taking statins extends my life by a few years, whats the point if I am very very tired and very bald?