Do I really have to take Statins?

Ponchu

I can refuse them, be labeled “against medical advice”, which could impact life insurance but mostly?

I’d end up being shown the door.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see the big deal. My Endo, doctor, and nurse all advise I take statins. I politely refuse and they say ' I've advised you, you are aware of the potential risks but it's your choice to take them or not'
End of statins conversation for 12 months or so.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Ponchu

I don't see the big deal. My Endo, doctor, and nurse all advise I take statins. I politely refuse and they say ' I've advised you, you are aware of the potential risks but it's your choice to take them or not'
End of statins conversation for 12 months or so.

We go to different health care centers.

My doc is sympathetic.

Administration is not. $$$$

MillieT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Should that be 7.4? If the regular readings of 6 and 7 have been for more than 3 months I would have thought the HbA1c would be closer to 7 rather than 70.

I suspect hb1ac is reported in mmol not %. 74 is pretty **** high. Readings daily of 6 and 7 wouldn’t normally give this but they are noted as unusually low for the op so maybe they are since the last hb1ac and change of meds.

Hi, apologise but i have been poorly and down in the dumps, just to confirm my HB1AC have been over 70 for over a year and I had been unable to get my daily readings down below perhaps 8-10, if i ate porridge it would take me to 28mmol, pretty much the same as bread and anything else carby.

My latest HB1AC was over 80 supposedly, I was told all my readings would go up whilst having Radiotherapy, I was also on insulin every day and it was not really doing anything.

I have started on Empagliflozin and it has taken my daily results down to 6-8, i do spike here and there but at least it is not 28mmol, not forgetting I also have Proteinuria or something where i am losing protein through urine and am on tablets to solve this.

I'm due in again tomorrow- or later today to see thew diabetic doctor, i guess that shall go well. I was told I need to be taking the insulin as well as the tablets but I cannot see why, I have thought along the lines of, if my daily sugar readings are down to 6mmol, why would i wish to take a load of insulin to probably throw me into Hypo, my body already thinks it is going into one when down to 6mmol anyway because I have been so high for so long so if anyone can shed any light on any of this please do so.

Ponchu

That seems an enabling attitude, to fund the pharmaceutical industry that sells statins while giving your clueless doc, who probably doesn't take them, the idea that they might work.

wild salmon or krill or other fish oils will lower the old cholesterol some, but too low a cholesterol does poorly in heart trials

Enabling?

Perhaps.

But being shown the door would be impactful...for a long time.