What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and 2 x cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: caramel PhD bar and black coffee.
Dinner at the local Hungry Horse: chicken skewers on a bed of stir fried peppers and onion with side salad and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola at home.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening folks!

Breakfast: Vanilla chia pudding with LC Nutella. Coffee & cream
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino
Lunch: Broccoli and celery soup. Basically a fridge clearout....chucked in some mascarpone and pesto that needed using. It was lovely. Small slice of chia and almond bread toasted with LC Nutella
Afternoon: Two coffees (one decaf) and cream at our fave Italian café. A very small slice of my nephew's birthday cake. Mr B had a square of Green & Blacks Roasted Almond choc in lieu of the cake.
Dinner: LC lasagne with grilled courgette 'lasagne' sheets. Decaf coffee and cream.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMAD day - ate at 3.15 and finished by 3.45. Food was pleasant enough but once again the gathering of family ( 89 yrs to 7 months) was the highlight. No 1 son cooked chicken and roast veg ( small vine tomatoes, courgettes, small pieces peppers, garlic, few slices onion and broccoli) I took a not cross bun sponge and had 2 squares Green and Black velvet peppermint. Think that is about getting to my limit for low carbing. Had 2 sips of the wine he poured but didn't feel the need for more.
We made LC Nutella for our grandson who tasted some and declared it snodge cumber - real faff taking skins off hazelnuts for that result.

:joyful: Snodge cumber?

Reactions: zauberflote

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
XBX level 16
Breakfast: tea, 2 hash browns, 2 eggs, mushrooms and cheese, tea.
lunch: ham and cream cheese rollup, mixed salad, avocado, mozzerella and tomato, water
dinner: traybake with Potatoes, onions, red pepper, few cherry toms, all tossed in rapeseed oil. roasted for 20 mins. Turned, added handful of capers, good squirt of lemon juice and two pieces of salmon, cooked for 10 mins, served with green beans. strawberries and cream
glass of wine. made my calorie quota. well. almost. -112, should not be difficult. Slightly over carbs @107g
@zauberflote the tapestry is 18inch cushion, done in half crossstitch. Think it is 100 stitches to the sq inch.
Today planted more seeds, never buying bagged salad again.
like the sound of LC nutella. and yes, faff is the word for skinning hazelnuts. used to do that for hazelnut meringue cake. longest part of the job .

Last edited:

Kingmidas

Coffee&cream in the morning
Lunch of smoked salmon asparagus and poached eggs, then sf jelly and cream
Dinner M&S haddock mornay 3.4g carb per portion and very nice. I haven’t had a ready meal for yonks but this was another bargain reduction. I’ve become a shopping ninja these days and have found that nabbing the reduced produce means we can eat well on a budget. I have time to do it now I’m retired and it’s quite exciting as I don’t need to plan what to have, just see what’s around.

@Kingmidas I’m with you in that I don’t feel deprived or tempted by cake anymore, a great relief as I was quite miserable in the beginning at the thought of never stopping in a lovely cafe for tea and cake again. Glad you enjoyed your crochet sanctuary
Because I'm not even prediabetic any more I could have cake if I wanted - I can have whatever I like really, but choose not to for the sake of continuity (and prevention being better than cure). I did look at the selection of mini gateaux that were available after lunch, but decided against 'treating' myself, and I think I'd only have been eating them then, because everyone else was.

I don't want to go back to the sugar peaks and troughs of eating refined carbs, and feeling hungry a lot of the time which I don't now. I was a bit peckish when I got home so I had some rollitos and celery with salsa dip.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. No I haven’t, although I have seen the recipe. My meattza was an impromptu attempt - I used some leftovers from a mince, bacon and cheese concoction that I had in the freezer. Some egg may well help to bind it together. Guess could use ground almonds instead of the bread crumbs, but I’m trying to find a carnivore version.

Had to drop tomato sauce off fathead pizza a while back - way too sweet, as is any tomato based dish these days. Used to love Bolognese with courgetti when first diagnosed.
Dont know what tomato sauce you used but when I do spicy meatballsfor son at Uni I use passata which isnt sweet. For him I add chilli flakes and a pinch of sugar to t3mpee the acidity.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Tried another seafood basket at the bowls club which had more on it than the previous one I bought. Washed down with a couple of low carb coldies.
Dinner: Mutton shoulder chops, and veggies.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
XBX level 16
Breakfast: tea, 2 hash browns, 2 eggs, mushrooms and cheese, tea.
lunch: ham and cream cheese rollup, mixed salad, avocado, mozzerella and tomato, water
dinner: traybake with Potatoes, onions, red pepper, few cherry toms, all tossed in rapeseed oil. roasted for 20 mins. Turned, added handful of capers, good squirt of lemon juice and two pieces of salmon, cooked for 10 mins, served with green beans. strawberries and cream
glass of wine. made my calorie quota. well. almost. -112, should not be difficult. Slightly over carbs @107g
@zauberflote the tapestry is 18inch cushion, done in half crossstitch. Think it is 100 stitches to the sq inch.
Today planted more seeds, never buying bagged salad again.
like the sound of LC nutella. and yes, faff is the word for skinning hazelnuts. used to do that for hazelnut meringue cake. longest part of the job .
10 minutes in the oven and a tea towel to rub the skins off with. It wasn't too arduous to be honest and absolutely worth it. You do need to blitz for a long time to get it nice and smooth though. :)

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to drop tomato sauce off fathead pizza a while back - way too sweet, as is any tomato based dish these days. Used to love Bolognese with courgetti when first diagnosed.

I don’t like tomato sauce on pizza either - have you tried using sour cream instead? It’s brilliant. I thought it would run off but it doesn’t.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Goonergal I went for peanut not almond. Needs some work yet.. fancy salt could be what I want. I made “Reese enrobed “oops we ran out of peanuts so have to use cashews and pecans” nuts. The texture is gorgeous, and it is very moreish already! More later.
@Kingmidas your sanctuary sounds lovely for crafters. I wish your cold had never started! <passes box of tissues and some nasal rinse>
@ianpspurs wonderful having family gathered round!! “Snodge cumber” sounds like it came from The BFG where I think it was snozzcumber. Funny! (ah, you explain later I see)
@SlimLizzy aiyiyi!!! 100/sq inch??!?! Bless you for even starting that. You must be extremely advanced in the needlework department!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Today was a very fast day indeed and still had to cut two important things short. Ah well. I suppose I could have not spent the time making the chocolate/peanut/ cashew/pecan candy...
IMG_7748.jpg

before refrigeration. Needs more fancy salt and for all the nut flavors to match, but.. if it weren’t chocolate I’d have OD-ed on it tonight!
Bfast 1/2avocado, egg, 3 cherry toms, a spoon of sour cream, and one swallow of decaf/soy/cream with one square 90% chocolate
Lunch the rest of the decaf and 2 cans seltzer different flavors
Supper celery, toms, wilted spinach with hemp seed hearts and hm dressing, 2 kinds of cheese and a LC tortilla.
Way later a taste of the choconut candy and some cream and the last tsp of one pf the lunch cheeses cos it was lonely.
Good morning all! It’s nearly 0200 here on new time UGH!!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont know what tomato sauce you used but when I do spicy meatballsfor son at Uni I use passata which isnt sweet. For him I add chilli flakes and a pinch of sugar to t3mpee the acidity.

It was just bog standard tomato puree, nothing with any added sugar. Sadly anything tomato based and cooked just tastes way too sweet for me - just a change in my taste buds; give the raw ones a wide berth most of the time these days too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t like tomato sauce on pizza either - have you tried using sour cream instead? It’s brilliant. I thought it would run off but it doesn’t.

No, haven’t tried that. To be honest I’m happy with just the cheese and toppings. Not sure what else I’d use the sour cream for, so don’t have it in stock.

All this talk of pizza early in the morning is making me hungry!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Goonergal I went for peanut not almond. Needs some work yet.. fancy salt could be what I want. I made “Reese enrobed “oops we ran out of peanuts so have to use cashews and pecans” nuts. The texture is gorgeous, and it is very moreish already! More later.
@Kingmidas your sanctuary sounds lovely for crafters. I wish your cold had never started! <passes box of tissues and some nasal rinse>
@ianpspurs wonderful having family gathered round!! “Snodge cumber” sounds like it came from The BFG where I think it was snozzcumber. Funny! (ah, you explain later I see)
@SlimLizzy aiyiyi!!! 100/sq inch??!?! Bless you for even starting that. You must be extremely advanced in the needlework department!
@zauberflote not at all. half cross stitch is very easy. All I need is persistance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, haven’t tried that. To be honest I’m happy with just the cheese and toppings. Not sure what else I’d use the sour cream for, so don’t have it in stock.

All this talk of pizza early in the morning is making me hungry!

Goonergal, my OH is a sour cream fan, so we almost always have it in. It's excellent for anything you'd use cream for, but is less sweet. I taste cream as sweet these days.

It's also excellent enrich any sauce or gravy, although obviously adds some liquid.