Cherry Active

aptfourd

I have just been reading a book by Patrick Holford, who rates this drink very highly. Please can you tell me whether or not it is suitable for someone with diabetese? Thank you.

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
Probably not, on the website it says it has about 25g carbs, 18 of which sugars. Unless you are doing it for the taste and balance it properly with enough insulin, please don't fall for alternative medicine quackery- stick to the advice of your diabetes team.

Clare

C

catherinecherub

You would probably be better off eating a few cherries as part of a meal. This drink is too sugary and not recommended.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I came across this at the London Marathon exhibition. I'd not seen it before but it rang a bell. I remember that Ali (a dietitian) had written in general terms about the cycling team using a cherry drink during their training for the last Olympics so it pricked my interest.

They market it as a recovery drink and suggest it helps to prevent delayed onset muscle soreness. I bought some at their special offer. I thought it would be a very pleasant way of taking in the necessary carbs to prevent me having a delayed onset hypo after a long run. I hate eating anything then and it might actually do some good, As you dilute it, you don't actually have to take the full 30ml dose.
I have to say I was able to walk normally the day after the London Marathon and do a short run on the Tuesday. Might or might not be coincidence. I haven't run any long runs since then but I also think it would be a pleasnant drink to take, well diluted, on a long run, supplying some carbs but not the horrid taste (and artificial ingredients) of some other products.
I certainly haven't investigated their other claims for using it as a general health drink.
I did note on the website though that they make it in tablet form without the carbs and they suggest this is a better form for people with diabetes.