KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Playing devils advocate here but, does everyone on this forum really finger prick every time before driving ? Doubt it and I doubt anyone will admit not to.

I do. You may get away with it many times but if you are involved in a crash etc, you will be expected to prove you have adhered to the requirements of your driving licence. The driving licence restriction is a lawful requirement and when you take that risk you are not driving in accordance with your licence and won't be insured either. I don't want to sound holier than thou but it's just not worth not doing it, I have seen the aftermath. Don't forget, the DVLA will also have an 'ailment' record attached to your details so you can't hide it. Also, the last thing you want if you have an accident is not to be able to prove that your glucose levels had nothing to do with it. No test equals a strong suspicion 'your glucose levels might well have contributed to it' (even if you know they didn't). Lastly, would anyone drive with no insurance and take that risk because essentially that is what you are doing if you don't stick to the legislation on a restricted licence, Sermon over. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Col

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember you don't need to check BG before driving if you will finish driving within 2hr of a check you have already done.

I don't know how some using a real time system like xdrip can prove when they looked at the BG value that is displayed.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how some using a real time system like xdrip can prove when they looked at the BG value that is displayed.

I already stated that I personally use the xDrip combo in supplement to finger prick tests so I'm not answering this as someone who would use this method primarily. xDrip displays my blood glucose value constantly on the display, including when locked, so it's convenient to glance at on the dashboard during the 2 hour window.

That said, it's fairly trivial to answer this specific point about when the app was last on the screen if you were going to use this method to check every 2 hours whilst driving providing you have a fairly recent phone.

9Y0Whh.png

This clearly gives a rough estimate of when the app was last open and displayed on the screen as well as for how long for should it be needed (22:00 for 1 minute). This feature is built into both Android and iOS as standard since last year. If the xDrip app has been opened, it's hard to miss the value on the screen.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't think xdrip will count for anything formal - remember, it says (parpahrased) "Don't even think about using these readings for anything, especially anything medical". The abbot reader/app will be the only thing which will be allowed for DVLA purposes for a libre sensor.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Playing devils advocate here but, does everyone on this forum really finger prick every time before driving ? Doubt it and I doubt anyone will admit not to.
I do now, but didn't ten(?) years ago. About twenty years ago I drove when hypo and (luckily and astonishingly) didn't have an accident. My daughter asked me if I was driving to the hospital... Not sure when the rules to test before driving came in in the UK (I wasn't aware of them when I left in 1999), and as far as I know there aren't any such rules in Australia or New Zealand (where I now live). But my hypo awareness is not as good as it used to be and I'm just not prepared to drive without the confidence that I'm not going hypo. But like @helensaramay, I no longer drive every day.
And when I was pregnant (I lost hypo awareness during pregnancy) with my son (now 27) I left work so hypo that a colleague drove me home because I didn't realise how bad I was. I'm not sure what would have happened if he hadn't noticed and I'd attempted to drive myself. (I was at the "I'm not hypo" denial stage, which I luckily don't seem to get any more, maybe because I haven't had any really bad hypos recently.) So thank you, Simon, for saving my life and that of my son.

Best to get in the habit where you automatically check, in my opinion, even if you don't legally have to.

D

Deleted member 308541

Not sure when the rules to test before driving came in in the UK (I wasn't aware of them when I left in 1999), and as far as I know there aren't any such rules in Australia or New Zealand (where I now live).
There are rules here in Queensland so I would imagine it's Australia wide. A quote from Diabetes Queensland.

Driving

As long as your diabetes is well-managed, there's no reason why you shouldn't be issued with a licence, but you must notify your road transport authority and insurance company that you have the condition.
You should not drive if you:

Have difficulty recognising the early signs of hypoglycaemia
Are just starting to take insulin and your blood glucose levels are not yet controlled
Have problems with your eyesight that are not corrected with glasses
Have numbness or weakness in your limbs
Have been feeling unwell - this can upset blood glucose levels
https://www.diabetesqld.org.au/mana.../coping-with-diabetes/travel-and-driving.aspx

Medical fitness requirements for Queensland driving licences, this would be the same Australia wide.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/update/medical/fitness

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are rules here in Queensland so I would imagine it's Australia wide. A quote from Diabetes Queensland

Yes, but the UK seems unique in the requirement to do blood tests before driving. It seems pretty universal that if you lose hypo awareness you're going to lose your license.... (Though some countries care about night hypos and some don't.)

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember you don't need to check BG before driving if you will finish driving within 2hr of a check you have already done.

It should be pointed out that this is not a hard rule. I've a job that is both physical and requires driving. More frequent testing than every 2 hours is not only useful but required by the DVLA.