Early March 2019 - Group Fasting Support

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support. I like this thread and will be joining another in the next few weeks. I know my effort was only little in comparison to the super marathons completed by others but I’m happy with the start I’ve made.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just did 24 hours this time, having dinner last night: corned beef, mushrooms, broccoli and cheese. I am not dealing with stress quite as well as I need to at the moment, and i think that's having an effect on my BG levels - although I had very few carbs yesterday my fasting BG was 6.3 this morning.

Good luck to anyone still fasting!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidence or not this mornings fbg was on the bottom end of my normal. 6.2, so maintaining that 0.5 drop for now. Not much but every little helps. Weight stayed at the lower figure so far too.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday (day 4) was better than Wednesday (day 3).
I can't say that I have more clarity of mind or tons of energy.
I miss eating/chewing, although I wasn't hungry yesterday.
FBG this morning down a touch to 5.8mmol/l.

My 5 days finish this evening. I had thought that I would maybe go on to tomorrow and break my fast in the day tomorrow, but at the moment the urge to eat is very strong so I'll probably finish this evening.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Well done to those pushing through to 5 days. Not something I think I want to try.

2 48's in as many weeks while omad was a bit too far I feel. Needs a bigger gap. Maybe once a month.

Last nights dinner was 2 sausages from the butcher, 2 eggs (fried) and some crunchy green salad drowned in mayo. Left me uncomfortably full.

Plus side. Several niggles I have been putting down to getting old have gone. I had a pain in my right knee and my left elbow has been painful for a couple of years. Both have gone.

Quite remarkable.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
[QUOTE="Spl@, post: 2002730, member: 493821

Plus side. Several niggles I have been putting down to getting old have gone. I had a pain in my right knee and my left elbow has been painful for a couple of years. Both have gone.

Quite remarkable.[/QUOTE]

Weird, isn't it? I've still got reduced pain in all my arthritic joints. I wonder how long it will last. Its the first time in two years I've been able to walk with ease up and down the stairs.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.

Quite remarkable.

Weird, isn't it? I've still got reduced pain in all my arthritic joints. I wonder how long it will last. Its the first time in two years I've been able to walk with ease up and down the stairs.[/QUOTE]

Surprised me too. I'm not talking about crippling agony disappearing.

It was as you say going up the stairs my knee would gip. Changing gear in the car had to be done just so or I would get a twinge.

Not massive agonising stuff but one of life's negatives.

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Quite remarkable.

Weird, isn't it? I've still got reduced pain in all my arthritic joints. I wonder how long it will last. Its the first time in two years I've been able to walk with ease up and down the stairs.[/QUOTE]

Provided you don't start hitting the carbs it should be pretty long lasting..or at least so I have read on the ketogenic forums.. there are lots of people who get much reduced pain from arthritis. The great thing is I guess if the pain starts to return you could try and see if some more fasting reduces it again.

Edit to add not quite sure what happened there was meant to be a reply to @Chook in case you don't get the notification..

Reactions: Chook

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Okay update time for me! Completed a 41 hour fast in the end but I ended up succumbing to my chilli and garlic tuna salad in the end with lashings of olive oil. I felt REALLY wonky towards the end of the first day but I persevered and staved it off with coffee and some water. Honestly today has been a good feeling for me, I did have a lower fasting level at 5.7 than the rest of the week and was 5.1 just a few moments ago before dinner. Thanks for all the support everyone! Gonna have to join in again when I feel better about it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hmmmm I wonder what the minimum fast is to trigger Autophagy. I'm still getting the benefits today - able to get in and out of the car without the usual agony

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hmmmm I wonder what the minimum fast is to trigger Autophagy. I'm still getting the benefits today - able to get in and out of the car without the usual agony

From the videos I have seen by J Fung. It can be as little as 12hrs.

He believes there is a trigger based on protein.

From that I take it to be like rebuilding a wall. The builder will use new bricks because its easy. If he runs out of bricks he will clean up and recycle old ones that he can make work.

The body is doing the same. Dr J also said that autophagy may well be triggered on omad as the 23hr spread of the mini fast could well mean several hours a day with the body repairing/adjusting. I would guess you should cut down on protein to help kick things off.

I wonder if there is any priority to what the body works on. Maybe it starts in the brain and works out so joints etc are later on the list blurring any obvious benefits. But with a longer fast like ours. More work is done.

I may have it utterly wrong but that is my take.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped yesterday at 5 days. I was pleased to finish and have some food; however had I committed to more than 5 days at the beginning I think I could have carried on. It's so much a mind game for me.
Arthritic pain in two of my fingers is less.
I'd quite like to try another long fast next month. I think for the rest of March I'll do 36 to 42 hours.

Keep well everyone.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidence or not this mornings fbg was on the bottom end of my normal. 6.2, so maintaining that 0.5 drop for now. Not much but every little helps. Weight stayed at the lower figure so far too.
Ahh sadly both now back to where they usually are and were pre fast.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Ahh sadly both now back to where they usually are and were pre fast.

Most of mine has stayed off, yesterday when I did my 'official' weigh I was 73kg, have never been that low. Has always been between 75/80 since Christmas depending on bio rhythm and the weather, who knows.

Have reduced my butter coffees to 1 a day though I did miss it on Friday and got a bit low, cold hands.

Merrylizard1314

Back on fasting track. It is my intention to waterfast until Sunday next, but there is a young gentleman's birthday feast on Saturday which will be a hurdle. However, I have found that as long as there is active participation in the vigorous games, with " oh, how exhausting! Now I must have a cup of tea!" No one notices if one is eating or not.

This morning 6.15am. BGL 5.1. Ketones 1.1 BP 119/66 p 60

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gonna have to join in again when I feel better about it.

@Caeseji - Just wanted to comment that there's no compunction to fast. If you want to have a go, then fast within your own limits. What other people do is for them to decide.

Having to "feel better about it" concerns me a bit.

Minal17040

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fennel seeds or veggie part? Do you grind the fennel seed before making the tea? Or are you talking about the fronds? I like the slightly anise flavor so would like to try this

I bought fennel seeds from an Indian shop as they're priced well. I think 300gm for £1.50.
Just put few seeds in a mug fill with hot water and enjoy.
I thought it was better than buying teabags.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fennel seeds or veggie part? Do you grind the fennel seed before making the tea? Or are you talking about the fronds? I like the slightly anise flavor so would like to try this

The fennel tea I get comes in tea bags. Twinings pure fennel tea 20 bags for £1.50

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm doing a shortish fast from just after dinner this evening (Monday) to just pre dinner on Wednesday. Initially I thought it would be a walk in the park after my last 5 day fast then realised I will have to live through my problem bits - first day dinner and second day breakfast. :banghead: