BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I finally got round to ordering the Freestyle Libre starter pack by abbot last week - it arrived on Monday and i couldn't wait to get it on!

Everything was going well until today (so two days after application), I noticed my arm is bleeding beneath the sensor and so the adhesive is all bloodied and become a bit unsecured (not to mention looking a bit gross).

I have contacted Abbot directly and they replied really quickly and I've provided serial numbers etc to them and they're sending me a replacement sensor. I have read about people having bled through the centre of the sensor when it was applied, but not actually bleeding beneath it a couple days after. Just a bit unsure as to whether the sensor will still be as accurate.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? or would have any tips on what to do or how to avoid it!
All suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
D

Diabeticliberty

Hello Becki, may I suggest that you keep hold of the old sensor as Abbott will more than likely send you a return envelope and a biohazard bag to return the unit to them. Regarding accuracy perhaps test with it for a couple of days and run finger prick tests along side it and see what the difference is. There will of course usually be some difference even with a fully functional sensor. Mine vary from fairly close to absolutely miles apart from each other. If the difference with yours is acceptable to you then stick with it until it falls off or dies after the 2 week lifespan.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some people report that a "bleeder" is actually more accurate but I'm not sure if it's an urban myth!

It generally only happens once in a while, if the insertion needle happens to hit a slightly larger clump of capillaries than normal, the way you might get a twinge if a needle goes into a clump of nerve cells.

I've used about 30 sensors now, only had one where blood came through the hole on top of the sensor. There'll normally be a small amount of congealed blood underneath sensors when removed, sounds as if you might just have hit a clump of small blood vessels.

Good luck, they're a great bit of kit once you get used to them!

Poosecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bleeders are normally more accurate. I've been using the libre for about 12 weeks now and have had a couple of bleeders. One all over my sofa which I wasn't too impressed about. Not sure Abbott will replace my sofa though!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had two bleeders - the first one alarmed me but was fine, and the second one gave absolutely pants readings for the first couple of days (by day 3 it was fine, which means it saved its own life as I was going to contact Abbott to report it as a failure that very day).

I've never had one start bleeding a while after application though, @BeckiDover . In your position I'd spend a couple of days doing some extra testing just to make sure I could trust its accuracy.

Hope they sort you out!

:)

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We've just had a bleeder and after 48 hours the readings are still all over the place. Once we get a reading matching the BG monitor we're so happy, but then it just goes mad again.
Would love some advice on this please

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've just had a bleeder and after 48 hours the readings are still all over the place. Once we get a reading matching the BG monitor we're so happy, but then it just goes mad again.

It may be worth emailing abbot support directly. I did when I wasn’t sure if mine was accurate and it was bleeding and they got a new replacement sensor sent out to me within a couple days at no extra cost.

Every sensor I’ve had so far has acted differently when put on (some more accurate, some have bled, some haven’t), so they would probably appreciate your feedback as well :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, @Joesdad , at the moment Libre is "batch calibrated", which means they make a batch, pull a few sensors for calibrating against measured glucose amounts to tighten up accuracy, and then apply that calibration to all the sensors in that batch instead of calibrating each one individually.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory. I've used about 75 or so sensors over the last few years, some have been spot on, some have been cranky.

I suspect you've just had some bad luck with getting a few rogue sensors from a "bad" batch.

Abbott are bringing out version 2 of libre during the coming year, already released in Germany. It's got a primitive hypo/hyper alerting system which will make the reader ring/vibrate, but they also announced that instead of batch calibrating them, they'te going to be calibrating each one individually, and that should, fingers crossed, make a big difference.

There's been some speculation that they're already doing a trial run of individual calibration for the current version 1 to get up to speed for version 2. Most of my current sensors have been fairly spot on, so maybe I'm getting individually calibrated ones, but I've still had a few sketchy ones so who knows.

One of the things which makes a major difference to accuracy is adding a MiaoMiao transmitter to it and then running the 5 min output to the xDrip+ phone app (or Spike for Apple phones).

It tightens up accuracy hugely. You wait till bg is stable, do a bg test, then input that reading into the app to tell it bg is actually now 5.5, instead of the 3.5 or 7.5 nonsense which the reader thinks it is. It can still throw fliers when bg is moving rapidly but in a stable situation I'm getting readings which are only about 0.1 to 0.4 out against blood.

It also has a master/follower feature which you might find useful as a parent. The lad's at school, his master phone reads levels every 5 mins, and, provided you're both on wi-fi, you'll see the same readings on your following phone. There's other ways to view it on the internet but that needs a bit more jiggery-pokery.

https://miaomiao.cool

https://jamorham.github.io

Reactions: BeckiDover

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @BeckiDover and @Scott-C for your replies.
We have spoken to abbott and they have sent out replacements. But we got so fed up eventually that we replaced the sensor again. So far it seems to be working, but we keep doing blood checks as we have lost confidence in the system which was working so well until now.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Update. After 24+ hours; the new sensor is running great. Difference with blood checks is around 0.7 to 1.1, which is within reason

Reactions: BeckiDover

Timng37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I finally got round to ordering the Freestyle Libre starter pack by abbot last week - it arrived on Monday and i couldn't wait to get it on!

Everything was going well until today (so two days after application), I noticed my arm is bleeding beneath the sensor and so the adhesive is all bloodied and become a bit unsecured (not to mention looking a bit gross).

I have contacted Abbot directly and they replied really quickly and I've provided serial numbers etc to them and they're sending me a replacement sensor. I have read about people having bled through the centre of the sensor when it was applied, but not actually bleeding beneath it a couple days after. Just a bit unsure as to whether the sensor will still be as accurate.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? or would have any tips on what to do or how to avoid it!
All suggestions welcome!
First time it bleed on me when I put the new sensor on my arm in the middle.

Angrez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of years ago I had the Dexcom 4 device but found it to be too uncomfortable to use, So my doctor suggested that I try FreeStyle Libre 2, I am impressed with the features and I am now on my 3rd sensor and but did have the 2nd sensor come off in the shower they sent me a replacement after I provided them with the alarms log code and my third sensor when inserted it into my arm it started bleeding from the centre of the device, I hope this is not going to be regular occurrence? it is not only annoying to suddenly see blood come from the centre of the device rather worrying.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of years ago I had the Dexcom 4 device but found it to be too uncomfortable to use, So my doctor suggested that I try FreeStyle Libre 2, I am impressed with the features and I am now on my 3rd sensor and but did have the 2nd sensor come off in the shower they sent me a replacement after I provided them with the alarms log code and my third sensor when inserted it into my arm it started bleeding from the centre of the device, I hope this is not going to be regular occurrence? it is not only annoying to suddenly see blood come from the centre of the device rather worrying.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It can sometimes happen.
But soon stops. In my experience, it has not affected the sensor after the settling in period before activating?

Mytnice88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello, I just put on my first Libre 3 sensor and of course there’s blood but it’s on top not underneath. I have to wait for 60 minutes before doing my first reading. I’ve had this happen a few times with the Libre 2 and it’s in effect it. The only difference is with the Libre 3 it’s a little bit more blood. I also have the patches to cover the sensor. Wow I shower and work out so it’s keeping the blood in place I will keep an ion it and test after the first 60 minutes and see what happens, I will keep you posted!

Billy H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Know-all medics who think they know better than me
Hello, I just put on my first Libre 3 sensor and of course there’s blood but it’s on top not underneath. I have to wait for 60 minutes before doing my first reading. I’ve had this happen a few times with the Libre 2 and it’s in effect it. The only difference is with the Libre 3 it’s a little bit more blood. I also have the patches to cover the sensor. Wow I shower and work out so it’s keeping the blood in place I will keep an ion it and test after the first 60 minutes and see what happens, I will keep you posted!
I spoke to Abbott about bleeding when applying the sensor. They told me it's not unusual to hit a capillary vein and it will quickly stops. They also said the sensor will function normally.
If it happens regularly, have a look at the site where you apply the sensor to make sure there's no spots, scarring or damaged skin.

Steve 007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine recent one failed to work after seeping blood - initially recognised by app, but on waiting the hour, and then trying I got an error. I got a replacement from Abbott very quickly

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Recovery and Relaxation...
Hi, my first post for ages.... Had an email from Abbott and they want me to try one of their products a "Freestyle Libre sensor" although I've applied for one, I have never wanted to use this type of device and in all honesty the finger pricking is one I feel safe with.

Never investigated these devices and don't know much about them, although I know people use them, but, are they safe, are they the way forward and what are the pro's and con's associated with these devices and do T2 diabetics recommend the use of such a device.

Reading post on the bleeding aspect of such devices leads me to think there may be a big problem with them.

I would welcome any feedback on the use of sensors and ask how do they actually test blood glucose ?

I understand that the blood is randomly or continually tested but if the sensor pricks into the skin would blood not clot ? and dangerously cause potential blood clots in the body ?

I've not received my FREE "FreeStyle Libre sensor" yet so do I give it a try and see for myself if it works for me or continue with a finger prick to check my blood glucose ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my first post for ages.... Had an email from Abbott and they want me to try one of their products a "Freestyle Libre sensor" although I've applied for one, I have never wanted to use this type of device and in all honesty the finger pricking is one I feel safe with.

Never investigated these devices and don't know much about them, although I know people use them, but, are they safe, are they the way forward and what are the pro's and con's associated with these devices and do T2 diabetics recommend the use of such a device.

Reading post on the bleeding aspect of such devices leads me to think there may be a big problem with them.

I would welcome any feedback on the use of sensors and ask how do they actually test blood glucose ?

I understand that the blood is randomly or continually tested but if the sensor pricks into the skin would blood not clot ? and dangerously cause potential blood clots in the body ?

I've not received my FREE "FreeStyle Libre sensor" yet so do I give it a try and see for myself if it works for me or continue with a finger prick to check my blood glucose ?
Hi,

They work by interpreting values in the interstitial fluid just under the skin.
The probe from the sensor gets “hole punched” into the aforementioned layer.
I’ve been using them for years & could count the time they caused a bleed on one hand…

They certainly show trends & fill in the gaps between the finger pricks..

Steve 007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve used them for about 9mths. It’s recognised that they are not as accurate as finger pricks but for me a finger prick gave a picture at that one time. The sensor gives a picture throughout the day which for me is useful. You can see sugars going down or up and react accordingly. The libreview.com that automatically stores and translates your data is also another good piece of kit.
The one downside for me is I haven’t yet had one that’s continued to work on a holiday abroad in the sun. Frustrating but in big picture quite mino. I think they’re an excellent addition.

Reactions: Billy H