Shredded Wheat - Dangerous or safe?

PickledPepper

also did you weigh the shredded wheat. ican only handle about about 20g of shredded wheat which i think is about 4 to 5 minis

If that is the case, it's not really worth me bothering in my opinion.

What I'm thinking is what will be the long term effects of having no or minimal carbs. Will I be constantly 'cream crackered' [i.e. knackered] as a result?

Although I have only just started testing I'm already getting the impression that any carbs will send my bs levels sky high.

bedshaped2000

you wont be nakered . i have a granola cereal which is 23.1g of carb per 50g and then add more nuts, grounded almonds flaxseed and strawberrys. the fats from the nuts and flaxseed slows the already gl tested cereal carb into the bloodstream giving you a slower release making you feel fuller for longer and not giving you elavated bgs. may make you a bit windy though :lol:

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Talos said:
Thanks Catherine
Yes that does make sense, I think what we really need is a constant BS monitor, simler to the abulatory blood pressure type, I dont know if such a thing exists, if not I think we need an inventor to work on it :) . One more question, do none diabetics have these same spikes after a meal ?

Continuous glucose monitors are available. I doubt very much you would get the NHS to pay for even one session (considering the misers usually wont even fork out for a few measly test strips)
There is at least one private clinic in London I know of where they will fit you up with a CGM. However the cost is around £195 for 2 days of use.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
candyfloss said:
Talos said:
Thanks Catherine
Yes that does make sense, I think what we really need is a constant BS monitor, simler to the abulatory blood pressure type, I dont know if such a thing exists, if not I think we need an inventor to work on it :) . One more question, do none diabetics have these same spikes after a meal ?

Continuous glucose monitors are available. I doubt very much you would get the NHS to pay for even one session (considering the misers usually wont even fork out for a few measly test strips)
There is at least one private clinic in London I know of where they will fit you up with a CGM. However the cost is around £195 for 2 days of use.

Thats made my mind up :shock:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
PickledPepper said:
What I'm thinking is what will be the long term effects of having no or minimal carbs. Will I be constantly 'cream crackered' [i.e. knackered] as a result?

Although I have only just started testing I'm already getting the impression that any carbs will send my bs levels sky high.

Hello again PP. :)

You will be energised in the longer term, the cream cracker effect is what you get for the first few days when you lower the carbs - a bit like withdrawal symptoms perhaps! Each time you up the carbs you go back to the beginning and have to go through the withdrawal stages again! :roll:

As your body becomes more efficient you will probably find that you can have a little more in the way of carbs but you may well not want more by then. :)

Fred J M

Dislikes
I am NOT a "diabetic" - I am a person who suffers from diabetes - And I will not allow myself to be controlled by those who want me to conform to THEIR standards and who use scaremongering and bullying to achieve this... There are many medical professionals who are wonderful, but alas, many who suffer from personality disorders which atract them to medicine because it gives them power.
Talos said:
I think what we really need is a constant BS monitor, simler to the abulatory blood pressure type, I dont know if such a thing exists, if not I think we need an inventor to work on it :) .

Numerous inventors (myself included) have tried to find a way to do this, and quite a lot of money has been invested in R+D on this goal - Alas, at present, there are no practical ways to overcome the technical problems. The major problem is that (with present technology) one needs to take (sample) blood continuously, and this is problematic and potentially hazardous.. The 2nd major problem is that detectors are reagant based - one would need to replace the reagant at each sample, and this is impractical.

The search has been for non-invasive means of determining blood sugar level - R+D into changes in measurable parameters which may be glucose dependent (including using ultrasonics, capacitance,inductance and even local NMR) have been played with, but all have been inefective or impractical.. The best correlation was using an optical system, but even this was so extremely insensitive that it might detect a difference of 30 mmol/L, and even this was unreliable.

Anyone finding a way to non-invasively monitor glucose levels in a complex liquid would be onto a big winner - apart from benefit to diabetics (continuous montoring would allow for tight control, and the instrument could issue advice and alerts - it could also, potentially, be used to control an insulin pump for fully automated diabetes correction) the food industry has been crying out for this product - regulation of sugar levels is a major headache in many food manufacturing processes (jams, tinned fruit,sauces etc).

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Thanks to everybody for their helpful replies , I truly have learned.
Sorry for the late acknowledgement but life sort of got in the way :angelic:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everybody for their helpful replies , I truly have learned.
Sorry for the late acknowledgement but life sort of got in the way :angelic:
Wow nearly 9 years is that the longest thank you delay ever?

Talos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I have my reasons

Reactions: 1spuds

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On one site I read that Shredded Wheat are okay for type 2s. On another the opposite.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

They are pretty high in carbs. As diabetics we don't process carbs very well, so while they arent exactly dangerous, they don't do a great deal to help maintain a decent blood sugar level.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
a type 2 and have two shredded wheat every day for breakfast, I then found out they are supposed to be bad for me, so I did a test, and found they had no detrimental effect on my BS after two hours, so I shall continue eating them. My suggestion to you is to try the same test yourself and put your faith in your own results rather than what you may read :wink:

Did you test after the two hours? Sometimes with slow releasae carbs the spike can take longer to show.

Alyssa

I want to try, I read that they have a beneficial effect on the work of the intestines, contribute to the elimination of toxins, slags, cholesterol from the body

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shredded wheat. Absolutely lethal, especially the low flying ones. :D

I don’t eat breakfast cereal anymore

But in the case of shredded wheat, they are mostly air.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to try, I read that they have a beneficial effect on the work of the intestines, contribute to the elimination of toxins, slags, cholesterol from the body
They do like their little jokes, don't they.
If you can't cope with carbohydrates then you really should not eat them - no matter what promises are made.

Reactions: Zilsniggy
D

Deleted member 308541

So does Lily the Pink's medical compound, most efficacious in every case...

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi PickledPepper,
Shredded wheat may or may not be alright for you and you will only find out by testing.
Catherine.
Thats the bottom line.Wheat products add 20 points (US) to my 2 hour after sugars.If I eat them regularly my sugars go really bad.They are death for me.

Mcoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm baffled folks.

On one site I read that Shredded Wheat are okay for type 2s. On another the opposite.

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?
I had Shredded Wheat with berries and it was 6.4 after checking, had same again next morning and it was 12.4! Can’t understand it.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Can’t understand it.
Yup, I call this, after the Share Dealing industry, the “Dead Cat Bounce”. This 24 hour delayed action, most likely has a reference to our mammalian evolution.