High meat content sausages?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Just wanted to pick the brains of some fellow Brits but has anyone got any recommendations for the above in the supermarkets? Gonna be scouting out a decent butcher soon but just for now I was wondering.

Thanks!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Aldi Cumberland @ 3.4g for 2 sausages but I can only eat one.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most supermarkets have good quality own brand sausages that are pretty low carb and high meat.

Anything from 1.5g per 100g to 0.5g per 100g

Sainsburys taste the difference are good about 1.4g I think, M&S do outdoor bread 97% sausages at 0.6g per 100g. Waitrose 1 free range are 1.4g per 100g

Just be careful when they have stuff added, or are Lincolnshire or Cumberland as they are usually higher in carbs.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
M&S, waitrose both do their own .. Heck brand are 97% meat.
I think you have mentioned Tesco before
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/280002982
Check the ingredients list
Screenshot 2019-03-11 at 16.43.23.png

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Heck sausages, 97 % meat, 0.8 grams per 2 grilled sausages and gluten free..

Reactions: ickihun

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just changed from Heck to Waitrose, very good indeed. Take care with butchers, they do not usually have ALL the ingredients listed. (our award winning ones don't)

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thanks for the tips all! I'll be sure to keep a look out on the ol' ingredients list!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heck, Black Farmers, Tescos Finest.
I pick gluten free ones, and all of those fit the bill.

Our local butcher does a fab GF Lincolnshire sausage. They are high meat, but I don’t know exactly how high. All I can say is that they don’t send my bg high, so I can eat 2 or 3 of them.

Reactions: ickihun and Caeseji

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Some are better than others. So need to check the nutrient breakdown.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the biggies have highmeat content - usually in the "extra Special", "finest" or whatever ranges. Just be a bit careful of the additional flavourings if you're looking to go very ninja on this as things like caramelised red onion and the like dont detract from the quality of the mean, but just add in a few 9albeit tasty) carbs.

@Tipetoo - I often toy with making our sausages, but we don't eat enough to really get the decent practise in to the technique, but it would help as our butcher;s gluten free sausages are dire. Totally without flavour and a pappy pink mush inside.

The butcher is excellent and states up front that they buy in their GF products as they are worried about cross contamination, despite their would be best efforts. They're a great bunch, and I have offered to be their guinea pig, if they decide to give it a go, but I won't be buying any more of those frozen pink things!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We looked for sausages after our local butcher closed, and settled on those from the co-op -sold in packs of 6, and fairly pricy, so best to stock up when there is an offer on - they freeze well and don't alter their flavour.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We looked for sausages after our local butcher closed, and settled on those from the co-op -sold in packs of 6, and fairly pricy, so best to stock up when there is an offer on - they freeze well and don't alter their flavour.

I used to live in France and find this subject in the UK a real pain. Standards have dropped through the floor. Our French butcher used to take steak and mince it for steak haché. He made sausages from meat. In December he would supply home made charcuterie and sauerkraut. Here, I feel like we’ve lost the plot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to live in France and find this subject in the UK a real pain. Standards have dropped through the floor. Our French butcher used to take steak and mince it for steak haché. He made sausages from meat. In December he would supply home made charcuterie and sauerkraut. Here, I feel like we’ve lost the plot.

I think you'll find that any half decent butcher in the UK would mince up some steak for you. My local guy makes his own black pudding and other bits that sell out in hours .. Well I say local its about a 10 mile drive but we go once a week and stock up. His ducks breasts are also tastier and cheaper than the ones we used to get in France!

Reactions: Paul41 and johnme

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the Heck 97% and gluten free sausages. 0.8g per 2 sausages. Mr Blue hates them so we have to buy two types.

Reactions: Caeseji
M

Member496333

Sausages are on my primal ban list. I simply don’t trust anything that includes multiple ingredients and wasn’t made with my own hands. I’m even considering giving up bacon altogether, but I may need electric shock therapy for that one to sink in :nailbiting:

Reactions: Caeseji

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you're used to the lower meat content ones, the 97% meat ones have a completely different texture. But another vote for Heck 97% and Waitrose high meat content free range pork sausages - I generally buy the mini ones.

I also buy chorizo sausages, many of which are fatty pork and not much else, but you definitely have to check their ingredients.

I have to do all my shopping online,so it's fairly easy to check nutritional values & ingredients, but I think it's also well worth doing some checking online anyway before doing your "live" shopping.

Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages are on my primal ban list. I simply don’t trust anything that includes multiple ingredients and wasn’t made with my own hands. I’m even considering giving up bacon altogether, but I may need electric shock therapy for that one to sink in :nailbiting:
You will need your own farm , Jim so that you can make your own milk, cheese, butter, sausages, bacon and eggs etc. :D