Likelihood of GD going away after birth?

Zaza83

Hi,

To those who had GD; did it go away after birth? Does changing your diet help in getting the GD to go away after birth?

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

To those who had GD; did it go away after birth? Does changing your diet help in getting the GD to go away after birth?
For some people it does for others it doesn't
GD is one of the lagging indicators that there is a metabolic dysregulation already present in the body.
GD is a risk factor for going on to have T2DM diagnosis at some point.
It does not hurt to change ones diet to a way of eating that will mean lower blood sugars in any case

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had GD eight years ago and it went away after birth. I have a HBA1C annually and this year I've been diagnosed with T2D. However our family does have a genetic predisposition to getting it in our 50s (I'm 50 next year). Fingers crossed it disappears for you!

Wump2000

Hi, I had GD with my first child 5 years ago and it went away straight after birth. Sadly just been diagnosed again after early test on this pregnancy.

SimonCrox

In the UK population in the past, at 10 years, about 50% of ladies with GDM had progressed to diabetes, but more recently in the USA Hispanic population, it was 70% at 7 years.
So some of the risk relates to your underlying risk of diabetes, as stated above, eg family history and ethnicity.
Wise to do the lifestyle to avoid DM such as keeping weight down and 30 mins exercise 5 days per week which are well validated in several diabetes prevention programs for people with Impaired Glucose Tolerance (one type of pre-diabetes).
Best wishes

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had GD almost 6yrs ago now with my only pregnancy. Was diagnosed T2D 4 months ago, age 33 although I do also have family history of diabetes in 30’s

padulica

I had GD in a twin pregnancy 25 years ago, it was my 4th pregnancy, I was diet controlled. I am now in my sixties and touch wood have not developed type 2 yet !I think i am pre diabetic but have not been diagnosed. My BMI is 24.6. I test my blood sugar regularly and i try to eat a lowish carb diet.I am active as i still work and I go to the gym , walk my dog and have just finished c25k. There is no family history of diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

Hi, my daughter had GD and was also gluten intolerant, both went away after my baby granddaughter was born last
year :)

Discovery22

Mine went away then came back with the next pregnancy. Since I had it (which was now 18 and 15 yrs ago) I had problems with my sugars dropping. I now have reactive hypoglycaemia

Dari

I'm 43 and I was diagnosed with GD in 2017 during pregnancy. After giving birth I was diagnosed with prediabetes wich I control by eating low carb.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The way I see it is GD is the warning many others do not get that you have insulin resistance. It'll probably go away for a while after birth but unless you change something about the way you've been eating (dramatically cut carbs), it's probably only a matter of time before it comes back as T2, and the older you are when you had baby, the less time you have to correct your insulin resistance. Don't keep your head in the sand in other words.

Last edited:

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The thing is, people posting here probably all have diabetes, those for whom it resolved are not hanging out on diabetes.co.uk :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will go away as it’s a blood sugar condition during pregnancy so after the baby is born, it’s gone.

However as you’ve read here, you are at higher risk of T2 later in life.

Get on top of it now and dump those carbs.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Reemap

I had GD in year 2018 and delivered my baby in April 2019. Sugars had gone to normal but checked my sugars in May and they were high. I am type 2 now .. for me it was immediately..

Weehotty

I had it in 2013 and 2014 for my second and third pregnancies ...Due to family history , I remember the consultant saying it wouldn’t be a matter of ‘if i get it later in life ‘ but would be a matter of ‘when’ ..
Im now pre Diabolical with BGs still rising

I had mine with my second pregnancy. Gave birth 07.05.19 and I still have. I suspect that it will stay as insuline resistance that will slowly turn to T2. My father had T2 as well. I try to avoid carbs my entire existance so all my friends are surprised. Can't fight genes I guess. I also think GD is a warning for upcoming troubles for everyone. For now I control it with diet. My doc said to finish with the breast feeding, wait a month and do the glucose tolerance and the 3 month back test (i forgot the abreviation). But I don't expect the issue to go away.

Tesb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sister in law had GD with second child. I went after the birth. That was 20 years ago and she has no sign of diabetics