Pen Needles

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have to take the needle off of the pen device when storing or traveling?

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...

Pen needles are for single use only, and yes, I do take them off. If you leave the needle in you have an open access to the insulin inside. Some people re-use their needles so they might do something different.

Reactions: PaulAshby

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you use a needle more than once?

I'll just leave this here...
download (1).jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Regarding something like going to work & bolusing for lunch. Maybe a day/evening out?

I simply have a new needle pre-attached & ready to go.. (Remembering to "airshot prior to injecting.) Carry spares too!
Done so for more years than I care to remember.

Hope this helps!.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was told that leaving the needle on the pen could let contamination into the insulin but also let in air bubbles, neither of which are ideal. I have on the rare occasion though reused a needle.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was told that leaving the needle on the pen could let contamination into the insulin but also let in air bubbles, neither of which are ideal. I have on the rare occasion though reused a needle.
I've decided after a Very short trial I'm sticking with my syringes, too much faffing around, thanks all for your advice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've decided after a Very short trial I'm sticking with my syringes, too much faffing around, thanks all for your advice.

Hi,

If was a syringe user up untill the mid to late 1980s. (I have to admit I miss the "ritual" of drawing up.)
But there are convenience/flexibility benefits of using a pen. Air bubbles can also be expelled.

As with the experience of syringes. We find our own way with pens.
All the best with your choice. :)

Reactions: Dodo and PaulAshby

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Powerful graphic, I re-use to minimise waste and also to minimise gear I have to carry round....

But when I was a kid my mother was using reusable syringes (nasty things, she splurged to buy me disposable syringes, as the NHS only paid for re-usable syringes) so I guess I'm more used to re-using than the younger folk.

I do still sometimes use syringes (mainly if a pen breaks, mine don't seem to last more than a couple of years), and sometimes because I just can't find my pen:).

Pros to pens
I can just shove one in my bag - small and convenient.
Small cartridges mean that if I suspect my insulin has gone off I can change the cartridge without wasting too much insulin.
Small cartridges mean that I don't have to keep my current supply/pen in the fridge while I'm not using it.
Air bubbles are easier to handle as they don't really happen.
Very discreet for injecting in public.
Less waste compared to syringes (even if you don't re-use)

Cons to pens
They break eventually
Another layer of doubt as to dosage - is my pen broken, did it really deliver the right amount? (Though you can test by putting 20 units into the bottom a a penfill cover.)
If the cartridge inside cracks, it's easy not to notice and deliver less insulin than intended (plus the cartridge has a crack, so insulin is potentially contaminated).
A big mistake if you inject in the evening and mistake your basal and bolus pens (though I guess that happens with insulin vials too).

I prefer pens, but keep some emergency syringes, just in case. My emergency go-bag (am in NZ and have been evacuated twice due to fire in last month, and also have to worry about earthquakes), has syringes in it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A big mistake if you inject in the evening and mistake your basal and bolus pens (though I guess that happens with insulin vials too).

Oddly, both my basal & bolus pens are distinctly different. I couldn't even mix up the content in the cartridges if i tried...

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I too remember the old glass syringes we kept in meths, the HUGE drawing up needle, and the slightly smaller needles for injecting. Maybe I'm getting old, but all this time later I quite like the luxury ultra-sharp, disposable, tiny little needles :happy:

Reactions: EllieM

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

I'll just leave this here...
View attachment 31820

I used to use this illustration a lot BUT now am not too sure on its truthfulness. There is a group on FB and the 1 lady has a super micro lens for her camera and has photographed insulin needles VERY close up used on numerous occasions and none of them look like this :)

Reactions: EllieM and Dodo

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, had a Rocket syringe for years, those needles were big